I have a chaotic good aligned character with whom I plan to take all ten levels of shadowdancer. This means that I get the improved shadow variations, and although I currently don't know how good they are, I will probably at least test them at some point. I will also probably use them for RP reasons if they count as the PnP version of the shadowdancer's shadow.
When I summon the shadow, now as a level 3 shadowdancer, it is an incorporeal undead of chaotic evil alignment. I usually say play the character sheet, but considering the Angel summoned from Gate and Epic Gate is also currently chaotic evil, I'm not sure how the DMs view the shadowdancer's shadow.
In the Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5, this is the description of the shadowdancer's shadow:
"At 3rd level, a shadowdancer can summon a shadow, an undead shade (see the Monster Manual for the shadow's statistics). Unlike a normal shadow, this shadow's alignment matches that of the shadowdancer, and the creature cannot create a spawn. The summoned shadow cannot be turned, rebuked or commanded by any third party. This shadow serves as a companion to the shadowdancer and can communicate intelligibly with the shadowdancer. (...)"
I interpret this as summoning the shadow not being an evil act like Animate Dead or Create Undead, and that the shadow isn't an ordinary undead being, but sort of an aspect of the shadowdancer herself.
My question is: How should I RP the summon shadow ability?
A shadowdancer's shadow
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Deathgrowl
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 6603
- Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
- Location: VIKING NORWAY!
A shadowdancer's shadow
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: A shadowdancer's shadow
Hopefully a DM can answer.
You might end up getting meta-gamed anyway due to appearance of the summons.
It just looks evil.
You might end up getting meta-gamed anyway due to appearance of the summons.
It just looks evil.
-
Wolfshear
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:16 pm
Re: A shadowdancer's shadow
If I was joe bob the farmer and I saw a red eyed creature made up of the stuff of nightmares I'd probably freak out a little.
Selengil -Irritable Elven Wizard
Arkos - Your not so friendly neighbourhood Tiefling
Arkos - Your not so friendly neighbourhood Tiefling
-
DM Mouse
- Posts: 1073
- Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:28 pm
Re: A shadowdancer's shadow
As with any Undead summon, you will be subject to normal PvP rules and NPC reactions when calling the Shadow. Mechanically speaking, it is a Chaotic and Evil Incorporeal Undead (spirit) and therefore subject to all of the benefits and drawbacks of it's race, template, and alignment.
The player is responsible for the actions of their summon (and possibly even able to make it speak via the Languages plugin?) and ultimately it's overall behavior will be up to the player to manage. If the Shadow desires to leap to the aid of children because it's master is Lawful Good, then that is on the Player, but a Paladin of the same LG alignment may step in and use Smite Evil on it with the expected results.
If someone has an idea of how to script the spell/feat to make the monster swap to the alignment of it's summoner, I'd put my support with the concept and suggest the same sort of fix being applied to the Gate/Epic Gate spell/feats as well.
At least then in the aforementioned scenario the Paladin would smite it and [hopefully] see the error of his presumptions before destroying another being of Lawful Good alignment.
The player is responsible for the actions of their summon (and possibly even able to make it speak via the Languages plugin?) and ultimately it's overall behavior will be up to the player to manage. If the Shadow desires to leap to the aid of children because it's master is Lawful Good, then that is on the Player, but a Paladin of the same LG alignment may step in and use Smite Evil on it with the expected results.
If someone has an idea of how to script the spell/feat to make the monster swap to the alignment of it's summoner, I'd put my support with the concept and suggest the same sort of fix being applied to the Gate/Epic Gate spell/feats as well.
At least then in the aforementioned scenario the Paladin would smite it and [hopefully] see the error of his presumptions before destroying another being of Lawful Good alignment.
DM Mouse
Please be sure you are up to date with Server Rules & Information (updated Aug. 25th, 2014), these also apply to the forums!
Of particular interest are the Forum Rules which everyone posting here must know.
Please be sure you are up to date with Server Rules & Information (updated Aug. 25th, 2014), these also apply to the forums!
Of particular interest are the Forum Rules which everyone posting here must know.
-
Eclypticon
- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
- Location: USA
Re: A shadowdancer's shadow
Ya, this is one thing that irritates me to no end. I used to play a good SD, but in all reality, is a good aligned PC going to be summoning a CE undead for any reason whatsoever? Also, couldn't something be done about the appearance of said shadow to make it a copy of the PC except darkened?
-
Rasael
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 8096
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Re: A shadowdancer's shadow
I will add this on the bug fix list so the Alignment of the Shadow will shift properly
-
Ichabod
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:03 am
Re: A shadowdancer's shadow
As I recall, Peter Pan had a bit of a tussle with his shadow at one point, and he was pretty close to chaotic good...I never really pictured it, from an RP standpoint, as "summoning" a shadow...more like, your actual shadow kinda gets a mind of it's own and detaches from you. Hope the alignment thing gets fixed for you soon!