So what happens to the UD next?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Servin »

With Absolution's departure as DM from the UD, I am beginning to get concerned what the DM team is planning to do next. Just recently I have heard rumours that one of them allowed a bunch of powergamers to do the impossible, going into Sshamath and sacking the Temple of Lolth (!), which, to be said fairly, is like having a group of 4 drow go into BG and killing Duke Eltan, or have an individual go and kill a demi-deity. The Temple of Lolth guild was absolutely ignored and the event was not discussed with them but had DM support.

Now I got the message there is a number of DMs who are very much against the growth of the UD population as was demonstrated countless amount of times and vouched for, because of the conflict of interest with their player characters playing for a drow hostile fractions. I am beginning to see how hard is to be an UD DM given obnoxious players and even more so team members, not that Absolution nor Strahd told me that, keep the two out of that thread, it is my private opinion voiced here.

So my questions are the following:
- How does the DM team deal with biased DM's?
- What are your plans with regards to the ud half of the server?
- Why do you allow junior members of staff to do events they clearly lack lore about and ignore the players mostly concerned?
- Do you have a candidate coming for the UD DM and will you have him tied down and outshouted by biased individuals?
- Why is there so much support to the non-RP population over people who put in effort to their gameplay?
- WTF?

Need I to say, this event is has left a bunch of very good Role Players who have the lore on a brink of leaving, in contrast to clueless ones, who have little to offer in terms of gameplay. It is often said that some of the RP gems are in the UD. Final question is: Why are you doing everything you can, to get rid of them?

I would appreciate time taken to answer the above.

Best Regards,
Servin

P.S. The reason why is this thread in the open is because I am not the only one affected and I believe the event is too serious to be swept under the carpet.
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
Ardul
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Ardul »

I fully agree with servin, it is just insane if there would be someone coming down and sacking the temple of lolth. It is like a declaration of war.

I think most people dont recognize that the UD is a whole 'continent under the continent'. There is almost the same versatility and space as it is on the surface.
Celduil
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:19 am

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Celduil »

IC, as far as the Lolthites are concerned, it IS war. Not only to the Temple of Lolth, but to the entirity of House Sshamath to which they belong.
Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Servin »

Celduil wrote:IC, as far as the Lolthites are concerned, it IS war. Not only to the Temple of Lolth, but to the entirity of House Sshamath to which they belong.
... and friends (well kinda given the lore).
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
User avatar
Passiflora
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Passiflora »

I moved it to the 'Questions for DMs', as it is a question asked to the staff and not a comunity debate, and so that a DM can give you a clear awnser to your questions, without being burried under many posts.
Go home and be a familly cat!
Ardul
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Ardul »

Celduil wrote:IC, as far as the Lolthites are concerned, it IS war. Not only to the Temple of Lolth, but to the entirity of House Sshamath to which they belong.
Of course there is always war between the UD and the surface :roll: But you really dont want to have a drow city united against the surface intruders, because thats actually what would be the outcome if what happend would be true.
Celduil
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:19 am

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Celduil »

UD rises united to take over BG in revenge would actually be an awesome megaplot.
User avatar
Rasael
Retired Staff
Posts: 8096
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Leiden, Netherlands

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Rasael »

Like Dambrath

I hadn't heard about this happening but it does strike me as somewhat odd. I'd be interested in learning how the City's wards and Mythal were bypassed.

Its supposed to inflict paralyzing pain on any creature even considering harming a Citizen.

That doesn't mean there isn't a plausible explanation though. There are a few ways this could have happened.
DM Wretch
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 am

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by DM Wretch »

Because I care deeply about the Underdark, I want to give you some of my time and throughts my response.

First of all, I have not been given any official titles or have been declared supreme master of the Underdark. But I recently offered to take on some of the UD guilds even though you could still label me as a "Junior staff member", (though I was a DM for a few months in 2012 before having to go and deal with real life issues.) I feel this is because Absolution himself perhaps had far too many events in the making. . . ? Then absolution left and the UD has become DMless, so to speak.

But I'll have you know that I've been pressing Absolution since and before he left and others to give me all that has passed since I last was part of the DM team in 2012. I've also recently downloaded every version 3.0 - 3.5 Drow/Underdark/Diety PDF handbook that I could find on the internet and have spent quite a few hours updating and readdressing all the lore. . . It may still take some time for me to get up to speed, but I am trying my best, because I for one am rather concerned with the development of the UD.


Of course, when you claim about DM's being biased and junior DM's lacking lore. Perhaps you're speaking about me? Perhaps another? I have been working hard, and definitely lack the experience Absolution does. But hopefully with time we can fix this little upset that has happened in the Under Dark.

One of our DM lead some surfacers and assaulted the temple of Lollth but didn't inform the House of Sshamath, this much you know. . . and many (players and DM included) feel that it was uncalled for, impossible, and just entirely wrong. But now we have the opportunity to create a gold mine of RP, as one concerned player put it. I've received many complaints through tells in game, and I think I'd like to do something about it. . . If you'd all be willing to work along... We can create a story. . some epic adventure out of it.


You can take the negative from something and try to forge a positive. . . Which I hope we will all do. And although I am not the head DM of the Underdark nor know who will be the next one , I am just trying to find a way to make this all much more enjoyable and reasonable for the lot of us.

This all being said... there are two things. I am not as meticulous to the details as Absolution was. I saw how he set up his events. Fascinating and marvelous. But sadly, I feel that if I imitate his very unique and wonderful style of DMing, I will burn out quickly. He modified monsters and enemies down to the perfect stats and settings and gave them amazing details and traits... Truly a master DM, which I highly doubt I'll ever replace entirely.

Secondly, my time zone is quite off from most of the world, so it may be difficult to assist unless another more experience DM offers to assist you all. I think this will most likely be the biggest problem.. but I'm a night owl, and hopefully we will find time to remedy the time zone differences. I was on last night until 2-3 AM my time, watching the UD and seeing who would come on. I have been developing plans and plots revolving around this assault and Lollth's temple, and very much would like to help you all out in this, because I too am concerned with the Underdark's recent developments.

Alright. I've said what I've wanted to say. I just hope you don't mind an "Associate DM"being concerned about you and wanting to make your experience better. . . If you have anything else to ask or want to input, you can find me in game, private messages, or leave me some messages here.
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...
Selande
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Selande »

The UD needs a DM that is TRULY EVILLL . .

Wonder what Void is doing lately. :mrgreen: :twisted:

Seriously though, I think Wretch will do fine. He's doing the homework needed! *sage nod*
He just needs to change his name to DM Aku - the Shapeshifting Master of Darkness!! :mrgreen:

(I'm kidding)
((It'd be awesome though))
Cyrithe
Selande
Kithcore
Tseara
Syrenne
Rahksavvi
DM Wretch
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 am

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by DM Wretch »

If you make a Half Drow Samurai and call him Jack, then I'll make myself into DM Aku.

Anyways, I just got back from a vacation in this place called the real world, and I will be developing stories and running them by the other DM shortly as well. So stay tuned!

All UD chars and guilds are also free to PM here on the forums as well, if you have any ideas. I have quite a few from some, but more plots / ideas to build in are always accepted.
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...
TheVoid
Retired Staff
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by TheVoid »

Relax folks. There was confusion on this event and a few others. As wretch said plan on retribution. there was already a counterstrike that gave a bit of warning to surfacers. There is no dm that is out to end the ud actually the one who ran the event taught most of us about the ud. Its been a while and people get rusty and sometimes it is very difficult to follow along and abide ny all the player content in a setting because it stifled any action at all. I mentioned hat ud lore is a very big learning curb as too why dms sometimes avoid the setting hat includes player made lore. If there are too many caveats, conditions, rules it sucks any ambition out of doing anything for fear of stepping know toes or crossing wires. Don't get me wrong, what transpired could of been done with a lot more finesse and a lot less butt hurt it got out of hand but it did open up something exciting. Sometimes you got too crack a few eggs to make an omelettes but its a problem oif no one wants to do it at all.
The dm team is discussing this and hope the ud players are ready for some conflict instead of just sulking in their holes, giving up hoping someone pities them.

If it were me I'd be on surface lighting up mofos kos4life biatch!!
Mendoza
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Mendoza »

TheVoid wrote:If you can't take conflict with stride there is no reason to play evil at all or participate in an opposition society if all people want to do is get upset about a freakin game and dwell on things rather than working with it.
There should be a 'Terms and Conditions' for playing evil, and this is what should pop up before you are allowed to go in game.
Dorne - Lion Blade of Nobanion -- [Journal]|[Bio]
Tristan Ebonhawk - Deceased. Misunderstood Ex-War Wizard
Igneous Ironside - Retired. Bear Warrior of Krak Helzak
User avatar
Lockonnow
Posts: 3122
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Lockonnow »

Dont you worry there many dms that still runs event fore the UD that is the surprised
Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Re: So what happens to the UD next?

Unread post by Knightmare »

Of course there are things which shouldn't be done from the DM side. For instance, letting other factions raid - or even enter - your guild hall (without the guild's involvement), letting players assassinate the Dukes in Baldur's Gate, letting players burn down the Candlekeep library etc.

However, I believe The Void makes a good point in saying, that in case something happens which borderlines common sense, do try to roll with it and act on it (if possible). As with the case presented in the initial post, some sort of retaliation or counter-action surely will come your way. If not, then ask for it. I think everybody can see how perfectly reasonable that will be in order to vindicate yourselves.

When playing evil, one needs to have a thick skin and rolls with the punches. We're always expected to be the underdogs (though, fortunately, the last few weeks events around Triel seem to have changed this a bit - which brings a lot of new, refreshing energy to the table).
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius

Return to “Questions for DMs”