What is the justification behind +4 max enchantments?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Ruffstuff
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:01 am

Re: What is the justification behind +4 max enchantments?

Unread post by Ruffstuff »

Druehan wrote:
Ruffstuff wrote:The forums are rife with examples of casters soloing BOSS X which lends credence to the idea that people (playing casters) would prefer to solo things they can without having to rely on others.
(This post is not meant to offend anyone in particular. Each of us have our own play style.)

Yes there are several who prefer to solo things. These are also the power builders who mainly walk around talking about how great they are while having little to no impact on the server overall.

This is a team game. It is those who actually team up and interact with others that make an impact. Dimitri is a fine example. From what I saw of him a few times, he could have handled just about the entire server single handedly. However, outside of the FAI or BG (and the path in between) I never saw him without at least one Thayan Knight, and normally it was more Reds than that with him.
It is the same with other high level mages that actually make an impact on the server. Rhys from Doron Amar, Wendel from Candlekeep. Never saw them out by themselves grinding or trying to solo the server. Why? Because at the end of the day, no matter how much of the server you can solo, you still do not win if no one knows your name or any of your deeds.
I wish I played at the same time as them (night time PST), because frankly as much of a melee powerbuilder as I try to be, I appreciate RP just as much, and mechanically appreciate casters who want to group even more.

One caveat is that I don't consider standing around with a group of people outside the FAI RP, that is a silly thing that happens for meta-gaming/OOC reasons.
Last edited by Ruffstuff on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenderick Black Spears - Half-Orc Fighter, devoted of Tempus
Ruffstuff
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:01 am

Re: What is the justification behind +4 max enchantments?

Unread post by Ruffstuff »

Maverick 40 wrote:
Do you have extremely limited RAM or a non-discrete video card? I could see both of those causing a problem with animations.
Uh, I got this for a good price........don't know what it is capable of truthfully :roll:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/206183/a ... m3400.html
It's fine for NWN 2, unless you have the graphics options cranked up (which I doubt you do), you'd shouldn't be experiencing animation lag. I'm playing on a Q6600 / 8GB RAM machine from 2007, but I do have a fairly beefy (2GB good core) video card.
Kenderick Black Spears - Half-Orc Fighter, devoted of Tempus
Druehan
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:31 pm
Location: Olympia, Wa

Re: What is the justification behind +4 max enchantments?

Unread post by Druehan »

Ruffstuff wrote: I wish I played at the same time as them (night time PST), because frankly as much of a melee powerbuilder as I try to be,

Sorry a little confused here. Is night time PST the time you play?
Belkar "I have an idea. It starts with "S" and ends with "litting thier throats"

Don't hate the player character, hate the game system
Ruffstuff
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:01 am

Re: What is the justification behind +4 max enchantments?

Unread post by Ruffstuff »

Druehan wrote:
Ruffstuff wrote: I wish I played at the same time as them (night time PST), because frankly as much of a melee powerbuilder as I try to be,

Sorry a little confused here. Is night time PST the time you play?
Yes.

Should have probably also said that I hope there was also an RP reason for us to co-mingle.
Kenderick Black Spears - Half-Orc Fighter, devoted of Tempus
DM Mouse
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: What is the justification behind +4 max enchantments?

Unread post by DM Mouse »

We've limited the magic on equipment in this world mostly for balance, it also places more emphasis on player interactions and grouping to get those sweet stats. At the end of the day this is a multilayer server designed for people to come together and participate in the world with one another.

This is another of those threads that should be in Questions for the DMs. As for justifying ourselves, we don't have to after the four or five years it's been like this. It's just the way we do things here and it's the way it shall stay.

Please remain civil.
DM Mouse
Please be sure you are up to date with Server Rules & Information (updated Aug. 25th, 2014), these also apply to the forums!
Of particular interest are the Forum Rules which everyone posting here must know.
User avatar
Passiflora
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.

Re: What is the justification behind +4 max enchantments?

Unread post by Passiflora »

DM Mouse wrote:This is another of those threads that should be in Questions for the DMs. As for justifying ourselves, we don't have to after the four or five years it's been like this. It's just the way we do things here and it's the way it shall stay.
Will move it.
Go home and be a familly cat!
User avatar
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: VIKING NORWAY!

Re: What is the justification behind +4 max enchantments?

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

Ruffstuff wrote:I agree that being buffed by a caster substantially increases the effectiveness of melee due to the increase in AB/HP/AC/saves and I would love to constantly be grouped with one. However, if the caster can make themselves almost or as effective as the melee char, what reason do they have (mechanically) to include one? The forums are rife with examples of casters soloing BOSS X which lends credence to the idea that people (playing casters) would prefer to solo things they can without having to rely on others.
I can't solo anything with Laitae. Seriously. I might just be terrible, but I can't. That's why I always bring some melee focused player with me that I can buff to godhood and then lean back and watch the meat grinder.

A mage + a wm/fb will be more effective than gish + gish every time. Because the mage will most likely have higher CL (longer durations on buffs), higher DCs (nice utility for panic situations) and more spell slots (buffs for both, and slots for those nice panic spells).

You're very welcome to invite Laitae to groups if you want to bring a buffbot along. She's already 30, and I don't really care too much about gear. As long as there is RP, I'm happy to join.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
User avatar
Blame The Rogue
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am

Re: What is the justification behind +4 max enchantments?

Unread post by Blame The Rogue »

I understand that staff has done what they have done, and continue to do what they do, to promote balance

item max; 3 abil scores, 4 ac and eb, rest areas, rest timer

but I still see posts like 70ac cleric and roll a fs or bard instead of fighter :?
"Before you die, you should know why you lived."
User avatar
Calodan
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm
Location: Missoula Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY

Re: What is the justification behind +4 max enchantments?

Unread post by Calodan »

///WOW! Just read this whole thread and it really opened my eyes to a lot on this server. Good stuff and really fresh perspective! All in all I get it now! *Light bulb above head* Recently my funfactor has been dipping. I now am re invigorated to pursue better RP for my toon and less Grinding. THough I get really confused about how to go about things and I feel left out even when I try to be interactive. *sad panda face* However youall have becoe somewhat family and I try to keep off when I am having bad times as I can be a real turd bird at times. Anyway GOOD THREAD and I am rambling!
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer

Return to “Questions for DMs”