Wierd Toolset Area Bug

Information and Discussion Relating to NWN2 Area Design

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Eden
Recognized Donor
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Look behind

Wierd Toolset Area Bug

Unread post by Eden »

Last night I finally found some of the areas I builded some years ago, but opening them in the toolset, apart from the fact that all placeables were gone (I used a different module with a different 2da custom placeables list), I have this wierd bug: exterior areas are considered as interiors, so in the area there's not the exterior grid and the walkable square, but there's the interior grid, where tiles should be put. Obviously, being an exterior area, I don't want to put tiles at all, just want to have back my walkable squares I had. Someone knows if this is possible and how to? Thank you.
Here's a screenshot of the tile grid in the exterior area:

Image
Remember them all it's just a game.
tfunke
Retired Staff
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Australia- GMT+10

Re: Wierd Toolset Area Bug

Unread post by tfunke »

Never heard of this before, but I'd try two things:

1. If you go into the properties of the area, what dimensions are given. Does it think the area is an interior in the properties? Perhaps trying enlarging the area by one tile and see if it 'auto-fixes' itself?

or if that doesnt work, perhaps this?

2. Perhaps try downloading the 'TerraCoppa' plugin for the toolset and try converting the existing area over onto a new canvas (area) of a similar size.

edit: and yeah, the placeables you put in the area are pretty much lost.
Per aspera ad astra
IAmDeathComeForThee
Retired Staff
Posts: 1408
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Wierd Toolset Area Bug

Unread post by IAmDeathComeForThee »

I've had this happen after a toolset crash, but a reload of the toolset seemed to fix it. I've had to restart my computer before too, to fix weird toolset bugs. Try sending it to someone else if that doesn't work to see if they get the same issue. Im away from home for a while so I can't be much help there.
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
Eden
Recognized Donor
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Look behind

Re: Wierd Toolset Area Bug

Unread post by Eden »

@tfunke: already tried way 1) but nothing happen. You're right about Terra Coppa, it's the last option. I'll try as soon as I get home.
@ Iam: sadly those are areas recovered from an italian server we build years ago, I finally found the backups and tested them on three pcs, but the result is all the same.
Remember them all it's just a game.
mrieder79
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am

Re: Wierd Toolset Area Bug

Unread post by mrieder79 »

It sounds corrupted to me. I have had wierd stuff like that happen too. I think I've terra coppa'ed it before.

Another thought, did you try simply duplicating the area and seeing what happened.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Back up the .trn and .trx files of your mod. Then delete the .trx file and then try to open the area. I'm not sure since it's been a long time since I've messed with this but that seems to be something I have heard in the past. Be sure to back up first, though.
Eden
Recognized Donor
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Look behind

Re: Wierd Toolset Area Bug

Unread post by Eden »

Terra coppa doesn't work, it don't even recognize it as a normal area.
I'll try mrieder's option and let you know.
Remember them all it's just a game.
Azmodeth
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:12 am
Location: Montreal

Re: Wierd Toolset Area Bug

Unread post by Azmodeth »

if all placeables are missing too, might as well just start over . .

what happens if you create an exterior, and then save/load it ?
Azmodeth - Retired Frostmage, Abandoned all she had and left without warning.

http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... g&start=30
Eden
Recognized Donor
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Look behind

Re: Wierd Toolset Area Bug

Unread post by Eden »

O chance even deleting trx.

@azmo: while creating new areas, there's no problem, the fact is, I am trying to restore the old ones. That is pretty important because they're like 30 areas. By updating them, mixing them and so on, I could manage to give this server something like ten areas or more. But they just seem corrupted.
Remember them all it's just a game.

Return to “NWN2 Area Design”