A question about guild info

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

SeraphimShade
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 am

A question about guild info

Unread post by SeraphimShade »

Is some of the information posted in the guild section considered common knowledge IC because some of these organizations seem like their info such as origins and the like are common or commonish lore.

I realize rosters and actual guild membership numbers would most likely be unattainable information unless someone within the guild was willing to share this information with you. And I realize that some sects are highly secretive like the former dark brotherhood or the Zhents, but it would be safe to assume that some of the information posted IC in the guild area would just be common knowledge to anyone who cared to find out about it.

Basically my question is do I have a proper understanding of this or interpretation or am I just completely wrong XD I have done nothing yet but this information would be good to know in the future. Also I realize that some info explicitly states that it is IC and in world public info but some other things seem like they could be but do not say for sure.

I already PMed some DMs because I completely forgot about this section, none have gotten back to me, (No worries I know you are a busy lot and if I had remembered I would've just posted in here. Sorry to those who were sent this question via PM) Thank you for your help, time and response!

Sincerely,
Seraph
Gabriel Stryder - Former Paladin

LORD! punish me no more with your anger; in your wrath do not chastise me!
Your arrows have sunk deep in me;
your hand has come down upon me.
My flesh is afflicted because of your anger;
my frame aches because of my sin,
a burden beyond my strength.

-Psalm 38
User avatar
Xanfyrst
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:12 am
Location: In Sierante's naughty dreams

Re: A question about guild info

Unread post by Xanfyrst »

Can't speak for all other guild leaders, but what you read on the public Zhentarim guild thread is purely OOC. Though, there's some lore written that would encompass everything a regular adventurer would know of the Zhentarim.

Some of the other guilds got something similar in their guild threads.
SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK.
Alistair the Red - Roaming Bounty Hunter and Underworld Contact.
Lord Eliphas Valkarian "the Deceiver" -Chosen Prophet of Bane, Autonomous Agent of the Zhentarim. Immortal? ×Returned from the Beyond×
7threalm
Retired Staff
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 am

Re: A question about guild info

Unread post by 7threalm »

I consider any thing that is used in a private guild chat as private, and there are people with different characters in different guilds, and if you have kraak helzak dwarf gain knowledge about something that is going on in the osr private forums, that is called metagaming, where you are using outside knowledge that you know as a player, but your character wouldn't know in game.

it can be quite prevalent and is one of my pet peeves, that's why most of the evil guilds have other accounts for their forum accounts, so people don't meta game their character evil because something they read on a private forum.

As far as the public forums go ask yourself was your character around when it happened, is just a rumor you overheard in the inn, or was it intelligence some one else told you. some people post publicly due to people actually reading it and if your character doesn't have in-game knowledge of it then its meta gaming,

if you read through the biography's that are public posted and use that as a in game knowledge that is also meta gaming.

it depends on your view, but I just try to stick in character as far as the in game posts go. Some others think it's alright to know all the little info out there and they meta game their characters using it. because they think their a spy, but their really just meta gaming it.

hope that helps
Duragin Balderden(Battle Rager of Kraak Helzak)

Rlyd (Drow Wizard)- Fearn School of Enchantment and Charm
SeraphimShade
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 am

Re: A question about guild info

Unread post by SeraphimShade »

Yes thank you that helps. I know what metagaming is, and I'm trying to avoid it because it can really muddle things up. I have a character trying to do research on the various guilds and I was looking at the info posted in the guild section and while some of it says that *rumors are being spread about this guild* They make it obvious that their actual guild description is not 'public knowledge' which makes sense when it pertains to a secret evil group but others like Dwarf and Elven guilds don't make that claim and it seems like their descriptions might be and probably would be public knowledge since they seem to be very involved in the world. But I didn't want to do anything unless I was positive because metagaming BLOWS, I've seen it ruin perfectly good RP on multiple occaisons and did not want to become a practitioner or supporter of this black art.

Thank you 7th for your response ^_^
Gabriel Stryder - Former Paladin

LORD! punish me no more with your anger; in your wrath do not chastise me!
Your arrows have sunk deep in me;
your hand has come down upon me.
My flesh is afflicted because of your anger;
my frame aches because of my sin,
a burden beyond my strength.

-Psalm 38
SeraphimShade
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 am

Re: A question about guild info

Unread post by SeraphimShade »

I thought I had posted a thank you reply but for some reason it didn't go up. O.o

And yes I realized that the Zhents would most certainly be secret. I guess I mean like the Elven and Dwarven guilds.
Gabriel Stryder - Former Paladin

LORD! punish me no more with your anger; in your wrath do not chastise me!
Your arrows have sunk deep in me;
your hand has come down upon me.
My flesh is afflicted because of your anger;
my frame aches because of my sin,
a burden beyond my strength.

-Psalm 38
User avatar
Nomster
Posts: 1941
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: A question about guild info

Unread post by Nomster »

I would say its OOC information. I've realized that The Performers Guild info could be pretty much copied into a leaflet in-game and be found at the taverns in Baldur's Gate.... but many other guilds have information directed towards the player instead of the character. Member rosters should always remain private btw. To be on the safe side, assume that everything not posted in the Elfsong's (or Gloura's) rumour threads are OOC knowledge unless posts state its public information.

This might make you think "How am I supposed to get involved in a guild then if my character has no knowledge of it!"
-Ask other people IC.
-Send a PM to the leader and explain that you have a character that would fit the guild and needs to be recruited. You could arrange a 'scene' where the recruiter is present and recognizes your skills, from cooking to slaying trolls or whatever.

If you're only looking for general information IC without actually wanting to join, ask other people IC. There's lots of things that you'll only find out that way.
"I don't want to pretend at magic anymore. I want to be magic."

Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress & priestess of Mystra. [Retired]

Return to “Questions for DMs”