Event Ettiquette

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Event Ettiquette

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

Here are the views of various DMs and former DMs on events. Please take a look over them to see how you can make an event more fun for the DM, yourself, and all parties involved.

By IceShard:
-Do Not Run Constantly. This is an emersion thing, and a "I need time to set up or talk" thing. If you're running to quickly, I cant get things done or say something that is needed to proceed on.

-Share, and Take Turns. Dont try and make it a sea of conversation that I must wade through to find out what people want to do. Try to keep things orderly so things can be run more smoothly.

-Do Not Loot everything. If I see one player looting more than the other (unless organized that way) I will make sure that particular player recieves less rewards than the others, as to compensate for what the others didnt get during the event.

-Do Not Meta-Game. If I see this in any of my events, you will be warned first, and if you do it again, possibly ignored and given no rewards for the event.

-Have Fun. If your not having fun, Im not having fun. So please no OOC Insults, try to keep OOC stuff down to a minimum (or tells), follow my above rules, and just RP like crazy.

No Campfire For You!- One thing I dont want to see is the constant resting of PC's so they can regain their buffs and HP and what ever else.. It just gets annoying after a while and little bit harder to run an event for longevity. If your saving, thats understandable, press R, then quickly move as soon as you see the Character Saved message.

Whats with all the dice?!- Please do not roll anything unless I ask you to do so. With all kinds of rolls cluttering the screen its hard to see who is rolling what and why. So if I ask you to roll something Ill set the DC in my head, and send you a tell if you reveal anything with said Roll.

Pass the Cheetos!, Wheres the Mountain Dew?- Please keep all OOC chatter to Tells, but if you must say it in the normal chat log, say it with (( )) or // markings. This should be common knowledge but some people still dont use those. Please dont ruin everyone elses fun with stuff like this.

Journalism for the Win!- Please do not forget about your journal. It has a tab "Notes" that allows you to type quite a bit in your journal and it saves with your character so you can always refer back to it. Sometimes I may not be able to remember something so youll need to know it if it happens to be important.

Make Love, not War Man- Not every event, or every encounter requires you to toss Thy Holy Hand Grenade at it. Sometimes simple diplomacy (or threats) Can get you through the skirmish or even the entire event. So dont come into everything with swords drawn.

No Rest for the Dead- If you should die during my events, no worries, I will raise you and port you back to the area you died in. My main goal for events is to have fun, and if something is to hard or you get bad dice rolls.. Ill make sure you still come out with a smile and having fun.
By WhenWizardsWar:
If you enter an area and there are people present who are apparently role-playing, regardless of whether or not you see a DM present, I think its common courtesy if you ask to proceed ahead and slay all the spawns before them. Chances ARE, if they are role-playing, you could probably clear the spawns several times before they move on because of the fast respawn rate, but please be mindful and courteous.

Also, I have already seen it happen in the day and a half since I have been on the staff, but I am no rookie to seeing it. I've seen it hundreds of times. If you see monsters in an area and they are not hostile to you, and you KNOW a DM is present, do not attack said non-hostile monsters, because chances are they are not hostile for a REASON. I don't want to speak for the other DMs but I am kinda strict when I see this and it does not make me happy at all, and people don't want unhappy DMs. Heh.

Sometimes, we do have to make the entire area non-hostile during events. This is so random Joe Shmoe monster doesn't come up and smash a PC at the most inconvenient moment, so I whole-heartedly suggest this. If you see an area full of neutral (Non-red monsters) and you know there is an event going on in that area, either try and join the event, or simply move on instead of killing monsters who are pacified for mostly OOC considerations.

Thankfully the two people I saw do this were very understanding when I explained to them I had plans for them, and they thought it was left over monsters from another event. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt once, but after that I take a no tolerance policy and I'm sure a lot of the other DMs do as well.

Also, if you see a monster actually talking to you, even if it's hostile don't just bash its brains out. Chances are it's a DM who's bored and wants to interact. Even if you are just on the server for killing and smashing, be considerate of others.

Most DMs I have worked with feel this way, but then some don't. I'm just giving food for thought and expressing my views on some things.
And finally, some by me! Note some will repeat what others say, but sometimes saying something twice helps. :mrgreen:
I have a few suggestions for players:

1. Please walk. Granted, most players seem to do this now, but sometimes one will take off running and the others follow suit to keep up. Running will not only interrupt RP that the players are trying to do, but may also interfere if the DM is trying to set up something and needs time. I don't force people to walk - they can run if they want - but odds are there will be less to the event if they choose to do so.

2. Please don't rest anywhere, any time. Send me a tell asking if you wish to rest, or I'll give a clue that you can.

3. If you do random die rolls on me, often times I won't know exactly what you are trying to do. If you wish to try some special action or such, send me a tell with what you plan to do. DMs don't read minds (not always!).

4. If you want to split the party up and go different directions, keep in mind that a DM can only be in one place at one time. It's hard to keep track of people when they go every which direction. I don't mind this (it makes things more interesting than being in a pack) but please, again, let me know what you are doing. I try to work with players on this, though they obviously have to be patient with me since I'll have to hop around.

5. My events are not usually pre-planned in what will happen. What does occur often times is a direct result of the decisions the players make (That's right -- the players' actions can result in resounding success or abysmal failure). I expect the players to take initiative and decide on various courses of action. I don't like having to guide the players because I feel it's more like funneling everyone into only one possible course of action. Do something irregular. Surprise me and I may have a surprise in store for you in return.

6. Even if your character is not a talker, make some effort to at least show actions and such in emotes. It helps the DMs a lot when they can see some sort of response from the characters, even if it is passive and not active.

7. Have fun. This is not a suggestion - it is an order!

For those who are not in my event while it is going:

Please refrain from using party chat as it will clutter the DM's screen. Due to various reasons, putting party chat in a separate window is not a good option. Party chat is generally used for events and for when a player needs to get the DMs attention for something RP related. Using it for OOC chat is not a good idea. Thanks!
Thanks for reading! Now everyone go out and have a great time in all the events!
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
Sel
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Look in the shadows I might be there, on second thought you still won't see me.

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by Sel »

This has been one of the most vital informational post that I have seen since I started BG. Thank you DMs for that knowledge. Now people can get a good idea with the gameplay. Please post more of such.
Sel Darkmore

"Don't mistaken humbleness for weakness."
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

Kaizer7 wrote:Yes, very helpful. Especially this tip, I know it's there and I just forget to use it during events...
Journalism for the Win!- Please do not forget about your journal. It has a tab "Notes" that allows you to type quite a bit in your journal and it saves with your character so you can always refer back to it. Sometimes I may not be able to remember something so you'll need to know it if it happens to be important.
It's a really useful tool when utilized properly and can be used to remember stuff. My question though is will it remain in your journal notes on server reset? It would nice to be able to keep a full journal of stuff you've done (not just events) and then maybe take a screenshot of the pages and post it on the forums in your character biography.
Journal notes stay most times. I have had the same notes for months. However, on occasion they just seem to be wiped out. I'm not sure if it's when the server was moved, or a new beta or something, but I lost all my notes. Still, I'd say that you are reasonably safe keeping information there. If you really want to be sure, use the journal, then copy down your notes elsewhere when you have time.
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
Psycho1976
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:40 pm
Location: Norway - Home of metal and vikings

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by Psycho1976 »

Sir_Carnifex wrote: (...)
Journal notes stay most times. I have had the same notes for months. However, on occasion they just seem to be wiped out. I'm not sure if it's when the server was moved, or a new beta or something, but I lost all my notes. Still, I'd say that you are reasonably safe keeping information there. If you really want to be sure, use the journal, then copy down your notes elsewhere when you have time.
Losing your notes is one hell of a pain and one that I have had experienced once or thrice. Thing is, it happens probably because you accidentally/through old rituals press ESCAPE-key. This will erase everything on that journal, so do beware.

I strongly recommend making a copy or three of the character-name.txt-file that can be found as this is effectively your journal. SO you CAN also just copy/paste stuff into it as well through the explorer.:
C:\Users\user name\Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\localvault (Vista!)
Motto: RP is King. Hail to the King Baby
Character: Thomas Sharpe, humble yet zealous priest of Helm
FallzQuick
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:54 pm
Location: USA, Oregon

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by FallzQuick »

would that be a good way to put player account names in the pvp club so you don't have to check to see if you can jump'em? b ut that would not be possible in this server right? cuz the characters are on the server vault, not the characters vault...
Ramir~Male Human Surface
Vine~Male Air Genasi Surface
Jers~Male Earth Genasi Surface
Yasha~Female Human Surface
Flax~Male Drow UD
Norian~Male Duerger UD
My Rogues you'll have to find: 2 Surface 2 UD
Inomed
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:15 am

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by Inomed »

After tonight, i need to add this.

When a DM crashes and you, as a PC know where you need to go, atleast on my events, please WAIT for the DM to log back :D

I have crashed few times now, when having something in mind for the road, only to come back and notice the party allready at the place where they were ment to be.

its confusing! :evil:
"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."


Character - Kierran Naver
Chasted
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 6:48 am

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by Chasted »

/\
If I may add:
It might be impossible to enforce but could it be a "rule" that you must first get the DM's "OK" before romping off through the zone (Any zone). If you crashed, odds are other people had crashed as well (I know at least 3 people did) and would have no knowledge that you had disappeared as well.

Edit: To make a bit more sense XD
Free French Fries? ...I wanted them to be curly
williamfredrickson
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Mission Viejo, California

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by williamfredrickson »

To further enforce Inomed's points, please, please, PLEASE, wait in the same area if a DM crashes during an event. It really is helpful :D
William Fredrickson - Weave Captain and ex-Luskan soldier
firefly28
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by firefly28 »

Good posts. Being a new player I must ask for clarification with something, so lets say I have a private group I just made consisting of 5 adventurers are we saying here that when I click the "p" for party chat that its not private to just my small group? If so I did not realise this?

Theres many good sort of common courtesy tips on this thread that very new people could well miss if this post was up (And not out of mallice either)
IG IC NAME: Marrek Hanlen
Molag__Bal
Posts: 2925
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by Molag__Bal »

*Stands in awe at such a powerful display of thread necromancy*
firefly28
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by firefly28 »

Thanks for giving me the chance to remove this, appreciated! Will check dates in future, peace.
IG IC NAME: Marrek Hanlen
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by breteas »

Ha! Some -do- actually read this stuff. . . Molag. *grins*

And yes. . Runners tend to die alot.

By the way firefly, if your group is the one -in- the event, you might ask or even be asked by the DM to switch to party chat.


[/color]

Bre - "Trying" to find himself
Iso
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:07 am

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by Iso »

If you enter an area and there are people present who are apparently role-playing, regardless of whether or not you see a DM present, I think its common courtesy if you ask to proceed ahead and slay all the spawns before them.
This bothers me too, as it's like they're ignoring our presence, but I could personally not care any less about the loot and monsters. I would love it if people joined the RP more instead of pretending we're not there and fighting or looting around us.
Please walk.
IRL I run or jog everywhere. At work, at home, on perilous narrow mountain trails, I move quickly. I personally appreciate the sentiment of the DM, but where appropriate, I would neither waste the time plodding along IRL nor will I IC. Smashing into someone while running along, now there's an RP opportunity!
[color=#40BF80][b]Luna[/b][/color] wrote:Crud.
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by breteas »

What use is running to work if it doesn't exist yet? :D
DM Vindicator
Posts: 433
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:05 am
Location: United States

Re: Event Ettiquette

Unread post by DM Vindicator »

Iso wrote:
Please walk.
IRL I run or jog everywhere. At work, at home, on perilous narrow mountain trails, I move quickly. I personally appreciate the sentiment of the DM, but where appropriate, I would neither waste the time plodding along IRL nor will I IC. Smashing into someone while running along, now there's an RP opportunity!
In general, we (DMs) ask that you walk while in events so that we have time to keep up with you or move ahead and set something up. When people *run run run run* events tend to be less involved because the DM gets frustrated trying to keep up with people running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I know I personally wrap them up sooner than I would have if the players participating are just rushing through.

When not in an event, feel free to run all you like.
DM Vindicator
"There is no greater challenge than to have someone relying upon you; no greater satisfaction than to vindicate his expectation."

Return to “Archive”