After taking a look at Nixie's Grace, I became confused why it's nerfed so much as it is. I know in PnP, it's quite a bit stronger and here it would be considered very overpowered, so I can understand a nerf. However, it seems a bit useless at its current state, and I know effort was used to add it to the server. Because of this, I was hoping something could be done to make it up to par for all of us who enjoy singing the songs of our people. Here are the issues I see with it currently:
1.) The stats: The +2 to Dex and Cha are completely outclassed by Cat's Grace and Eagle's Splendor, which we have access to and can extend.
2.) The DR5/cold iron is alright, however we already have access to DR5 through Ghostly Visage (which is a much lower level spell and also gives us other bonuses), though it's bypassed by magic.
3.) The length: Not only does the spell last one minute per 5 levels, but it's a level six spell. The spell level itself means little, however, we cannot extend it, which means it would last a max of ~6(7 if 1st level counts?) minutes at 30.
Because of all this, we essentially get a spell that effectivly gives us DR5/cold iron, +2 Wis (which is basically only +1 to our Will save and not difficult to find on items), and low-light vision, all that lasts for about 6 minutes at level 30 with full caster levels. It just seems like a poor decision to waste one of our highest level spells per day on such a thing. Also note, druids get a 5th level spell called Owl's Insight that, while nerfed, does the following:
1.) +8 Wisdom, which is quite a bit considering the most anyone else can get is +4
2.) Lasts for one minute per level, and to top it off, can be extended
When comparing the two, a major difference in power can be seen, though I do admit that Owl's Insight is a mighty powerful ward to begin with. Is there anything that can be done to make this spell useful? Changing the duration would undoubtedly help, but with even that, it would be very "meh". Of course I can simply choose not to use it, which I don't, however that's not the point of this post. Given our current kit, this spell is obviously lackluster at best, and I was just hoping we could give it a little spit-shine.
Nixie's Grace - Worth it?
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
dudeman184
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:53 pm
Nixie's Grace - Worth it?
Kelris L'thall - Skilled archer and friend to all
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Nixie's Grace - Worth it?
I tended to use my 6th level spells to extend ethereal visage.
And maybe take superior resistance and energy immunity when needed.
And maybe take superior resistance and energy immunity when needed.
-
Carbondk
- Posts: 195
- Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:01 am
Re: Nixie's Grace - Worth it?
Nixie's is a horrible spell. My bard never looked at it twice, I took some much better spells for that level.
Irini Valkyrian - High Hand of Ice
Iliana DeVir - Darksong Knight
Janus Aurelius - Young paladin
Nyx Erebos - Lady of mystery
Iliana DeVir - Darksong Knight
Janus Aurelius - Young paladin
Nyx Erebos - Lady of mystery
-
DM Nilbog
- Posts: 1659
- Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:54 pm
Re: Nixie's Grace - Worth it?
+1Luna wrote:I tended to use my 6th level spells to extend ethereal visage.
And maybe take superior resistance and energy immunity when needed.
The leader got it right this is the best way to go and is very very handy.
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Nixie's Grace - Worth it?
Ye seriously, I wonder why we were so harsh on it?Carbondk wrote:Nixie's is a horrible spell. My bard never looked at it twice, I took some much better spells for that level.
Maybe one of the first spells we brought in.
It could use some more oomph to make it worth taking.
-
dudeman184
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:53 pm
Re: Nixie's Grace - Worth it?
That's what I was getting at. I don't even have it, honestly, I was just hoping to have something else worth taking. If it gave DR10/cold iron and had a min/lv duration, then I could see taking it, but as it stands now, it's useless.Luna wrote:Ye seriously, I wonder why we were so harsh on it?Carbondk wrote:Nixie's is a horrible spell. My bard never looked at it twice, I took some much better spells for that level.
Maybe one of the first spells we brought in.
It could use some more oomph to make it worth taking.
Is making it any bit close to the PnP version of it out of the question? Work was done to add it to the server, and it's sitting there rotting unfortunately.
Kelris L'thall - Skilled archer and friend to all