Skills over the top

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Skills over the top

Unread post by Servin »

Can somebody confirm (or disprove) the rumour I heard a few cycles back wrt to skills?

The rumour is that if your skill (with all the bonuses) + 1d20 >= 100 against a DC, an error in the matrix happens and supposedly it's a fail or some other disaster happens. Latest update most welcome, although I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I do not have a skill of 80 on my char ;) Nor even a 60...

Ta!
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Luna »

I believe that is how it is.
Eden
Recognized Donor
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Look behind

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Eden »

It's damn hard to reach 79 anyway, so you should not have problems.
Maybe with some of the old grandfathered items you will reach that number.
Anyway, the problem should be only for the "active" skill, the ones that requires "checks".
Remember them all it's just a game.
User avatar
Passiflora
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Passiflora »

Pretty sure it's true. There's some other wonky things about skill modifiers too.
Go home and be a familly cat!
User avatar
Maverick 40
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:04 am
Location: S. FLA.

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Maverick 40 »

Can that be fixed perhaps?
Laisren Ua Tiernan:
The heart must die, so thy loving progeny may live.
Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Servin »

Eden wrote:It's damn hard to reach 79 anyway, so you should not have problems.
Maybe with some of the old grandfathered items you will reach that number.
Anyway, the problem should be only for the "active" skill, the ones that requires "checks".
Lore would be the easiest to reach a 100 with. The items with +5 to lore (2 rings) are cheap as chips, + bardic Lore + warlock lore + spells = Bob's your uncle.
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
User avatar
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: VIKING NORWAY!

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

I can get 89 listen for five rounds or so. Does that mean that if I succeed on a 99, I will actually fail on a 101?

In other words: What are the consequences of rolling over 100?
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
illithid
Posts: 561
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:21 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by illithid »

From what I remember hearing years and years ago, the skills were never really expected to go over 99 and this is essentially the highest value the game handles, so anything past this point essentially rolls over back to the start of the table. So a 101=1, a 113=13. Can't guarantee the validity but this is what i was told.
I never make mistakes…I thought I did once; but I was wrong.
Ivan38Rus
Retired Staff
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Ivan38Rus »

Maverick 40 wrote:Can that be fixed perhaps?
lol no. This is NWN 2 baby
Molag__Bal
Posts: 2925
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Molag__Bal »

I knew some folks that could get hide and move silently up into the low 90's and they never had any problems with being detected. You'd expect them to get detected very frequently if this bug was real, since a d20 would be putting them over 100 more than half the time.

Perhaps if you manage to get your skill up to or over 100 there is an issue. You'd need something like a druid with amplify/C&C wands and the alertness feat to get there though.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Luna »

Hmm.. Moloag I though we had a few people that were getting detected.

Although on the counter argument I thought Magicshisha had his in the 90s and don't recall hearing any problems from him.
Aeb Ankor
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:13 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Aeb Ankor »

Would not this be easy to test with a QC team of someone with over max hide/ ms trying to sneak standing next to someone with no spot or listen bonus and just watch for a few minutes? Should only be seen on Critical Failures, i.e. Rarely

Could also be checked with other skills like maxed survival or craft alchemy vs a dm spawned reward mushroom with skill check of 99/ 101?

Or even a heal skill maxed and a heal kit?

This would show if it was true and affected all skill types
"It is a good bet that I like your character, more than I like you... keep it IC and close to lore and we might stay friends."

"I hate snowflakes and butterflies, die die die!'


#OrcLivesMatter
Ivan38Rus
Retired Staff
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Skills over the top

Unread post by Ivan38Rus »

I've had a character with 96 Hide/MS and I can say pretty confidently that I've never been detected outside of cases where I should have been (Druid with UMD and bard inspirations).

Return to “Questions for DMs”