I had a concept for a character that I really wanted to RP, but I want to get the permission of the DM's prior to playing the character this way to ensure its not met with disdain or disapproval from other RP'ers....
I rolled a Warlock/Fighter with the intention of playing him as a blind swordsman....I intend to take this character to level 8 Warlock, 12 Fighter (no plans beyond 20 at this point).
I am new to NWN2, and new to this server.
The concept behind the character is that when he was very young, he inherited his parents blade. The blade was cursed and part of a deal between his ancestors and the demons that cursed that family yet granted them powers.
The character was born with sight, but upon inheriting the sword went blind. However, the demonic pact grants the blade's wielder psycho-telekinetic abilities. I am limiting my warlock choices to the ones that fit this type of description. While they are a curse, I want to explain the 'innate' portion of the characters as coming from an enhanced power coming from his mind. The characters motivations to become more powerful with his blade is to use the powers of the curse to aid him in hunting and slaying witches, demons, and other various evil magic wielding creatures. His alignment is chaotic good. He also seeks to hunt the demons that made the pact with his family so that he may one day find rest. I am also making my character take blind-fight feats, and he is wearing a bandage that covers his eyes. I read alot of the fluff posted concerning Warlocks and Hellfire Warlocks, and I don't intend to become hellfire. I use the invocations such as the ones that enhance weapon attacks, defenses, and vision (all seeing eyes, the one that grants darkvision etc). I explain his eldritch blast as telekinetic energy emanating from psychic powers, as a result of an ancient curse.
I realise that some RP'ers may have a problem with this, however after reading the explanation behind Warlocks, and the fact that the abilities are innate with no definitive source or power, I felt that I made the source material substantiated enough to warrant a character of this type of power and background.
All I am looking for is a green-light to know that this is an acceptable explanation for his powers in terms of RP on the server, so that I can play more confidently should other RP'ers challenge the notion of the explanation of my characters warlock powers.
What do you think?
Questions for Warlock RP
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Passiflora
- Posts: 2230
- Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
- Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.
Re: Questions for Warlock RP
A DM will need to approve your background story for it to be acceptable.
Though, I can tell you that usually, you must play what's on your character's sheet. That's one of our rule here on BGTSCC. Considering the lack of psionic abilities, it shouldn't usually be possible.
Although, there's two options I see.
-You raise your listen high enough, take blind fight, and your other 'senses' make up for your lack of sight.
-You earn the blade 'ingame', in an event either ran or aknowlenged by a DM, and earn this curse/power ingame, which is a legit way.
Those are the two things I would suggest you. You can also write your bio and post it, and see if it gets approval.
Hope it helps.
Though, I can tell you that usually, you must play what's on your character's sheet. That's one of our rule here on BGTSCC. Considering the lack of psionic abilities, it shouldn't usually be possible.
Although, there's two options I see.
-You raise your listen high enough, take blind fight, and your other 'senses' make up for your lack of sight.
-You earn the blade 'ingame', in an event either ran or aknowlenged by a DM, and earn this curse/power ingame, which is a legit way.
Those are the two things I would suggest you. You can also write your bio and post it, and see if it gets approval.
Hope it helps.
Go home and be a familly cat!
-
AC81
- Posts: 934
- Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 am
Re: Questions for Warlock RP
Your character sheet will read warlock and they have a VERY definitive source of power. Most warlocks are pacted and therefore owe their powers to a devil of some form or another. Whether it's a 'family curse' or not, that devil will be looking for payment sooner rather than later. I'd also question as to whether or not a devil would make a prolonged contract like that ... it doesn't really seem viable for their 'business'.Reckeo wrote: ... and the fact that the abilities are innate with no definitive source or power...
Draviir - Luskanite mercenary and trader of exquisite goods.
Quinath Nar - Monastic warrior from Waterdeep
Quinath Nar - Monastic warrior from Waterdeep
-
Baboonicorn
- Posts: 98
- Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 am
Re: Questions for Warlock RP
I'd personally recommend starting out on the server with something a little more vanilla to get a handle on the setting before you invest in such a character.
That said, you are free to pretend that your warlock abilities are psionic powers (invest in Bluff!), but as per the Play Your Character Sheet rule of the server, you should not RP being a psion if you're really a warlock. From your post, this is not your intention, so that's fine.
The problem I suspect you'll face, though, is that outside the Underdark, psionic powers aren't common in the Realms so your "psionic" explanation of your warlock powers should mean very little to most characters. In contrast, the server has had enough high-profile open warlocks prancing around to mean a large proportion of the adventuring population recognise a warlock or at the very least metagame the glowy hands and rainbow blasts.
That said, you are free to pretend that your warlock abilities are psionic powers (invest in Bluff!), but as per the Play Your Character Sheet rule of the server, you should not RP being a psion if you're really a warlock. From your post, this is not your intention, so that's fine.
The problem I suspect you'll face, though, is that outside the Underdark, psionic powers aren't common in the Realms so your "psionic" explanation of your warlock powers should mean very little to most characters. In contrast, the server has had enough high-profile open warlocks prancing around to mean a large proportion of the adventuring population recognise a warlock or at the very least metagame the glowy hands and rainbow blasts.
Bioware ID: Monoceros
Characters:
Hendrick Dolban - "The rightful rulers of Tethyr shall be restored, by whatever means necessary."
Characters:
Hendrick Dolban - "The rightful rulers of Tethyr shall be restored, by whatever means necessary."
-
Dash4031
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:18 am
- Location: Georgia
Re: Questions for Warlock RP
This isn't really a derail since it is a question concerning warlock RP, but it isn't sirectly related to the OPs specific concept.
I'm just curious how warlocks are viewed by npcs across the server, and how the playerbase should or at least generally does treat vanilla pact style warlocks?
I'm just curious how warlocks are viewed by npcs across the server, and how the playerbase should or at least generally does treat vanilla pact style warlocks?
"If there is the slimmest chance, no matter how small, you have to go for it. Never give up hope."- Gene Starwind
-----------------------------------------------------
Characters:
Lumirran Elloufin - Exiled Elf
Thamior Nightsong - Acolyte of Candlekeep
-----------------------------------------------------
Characters:
Lumirran Elloufin - Exiled Elf
Thamior Nightsong - Acolyte of Candlekeep
-
Reckeo
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:02 pm
Re: Questions for Warlock RP
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. I took the advice of playing a less complicated character, especially for my first one on this server.
It causes a lot less headaches.
Thanks.
It causes a lot less headaches.
Thanks.