Skill roll guide?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
sweetlikesplenda
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 am

Skill roll guide?

Unread post by sweetlikesplenda »

I wanted to ask the staff what their thoughts were on success/failure of stat rolls? I like the idea of needing to invest in skills/feats in order to be able to perform tasks properly, or risk failure. I have been in several DM events where a skill roll was asked, and an outcome based on the roll + skill points. Is there a guide some where that shows a listing of the skill points necessary to perform a task? Or maybe a PnP guide some where I could use? For example, how many skill points should one roughly have in order to mix a potion, without it blowing up in the alchemist's face? An example of a guide:

Novice: Need a combined skill and roll of 10-15
Proficient: Need a combined skill and roll of 16-21
Expert: Need a combined skill and roll of 22-26
Master: Need a combined skill and roll of 27 and up

I know that certain skills might require more or less skill investment to perform, but wanted to ask if there was a soft, agreed upon, guide some where that players could use to base a skill roll on? I also know that no player can force skill rolls on someone else, I mostly ask for forum RP and DM events.
Aaron Lyonaler - Favored Soul of The Red Knight, House Lyonaler, Knight of the Radiant Heart, Advisor to Duke Eltan
Bio, Journal

"A proper example is a greater weapon for Good than the sword."
-Aaron Lyonaler
User avatar
Passiflora
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.

Re: Skill roll guide?

Unread post by Passiflora »

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Skills

You can always use this list as a 'baseline' for your rolls.

Although, I will repeat some of the things that are commonly known.


-You can't force a player to counter/roll a skill. It's DM only. Though if you and the other player agrees on the terms, it's fine.

-There's no automatic success or failure on a skill roll. You don't automatically suceed on a 20. The critical hit/failure only apply to attacks and saving throws.

-With some of the skills, like bluff, there's unknown modificator added. Like, the other player decides what kind of modificator they add, depending on their character. A character who is of a bad temper might not want to trust that well spoken elf who rolled a 90 bluff, just because he's an elf and the bad tempered guy hates elves.

-Some of the skills like diplomacy do not have a real effect on players and are made to roll with npcs. Players can agree to terms between themselves though.

Hope it helps.
Go home and be a familly cat!
User avatar
sweetlikesplenda
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 am

Re: Skill roll guide?

Unread post by sweetlikesplenda »

Thanks for the reply, Passi. I've been on vacation for a bit and haven't been on to look at the forums.

I checked the link you posted and saw a link to "Using Skills" that seems to be what I had in mind when I posed the question. Just something to sort of base my skill rolls on, when deciding how well my character should be able to perform something for RP purposes, mostly for story telling in the forum. I didn't want to assume that my guy can do something, if I didn't invest the proper skill points into something (Such as crafting a potion, having the lore to know something, the conversation skills to talk his way into getting info, etc.).

Thanks for the reply.
Aaron Lyonaler - Favored Soul of The Red Knight, House Lyonaler, Knight of the Radiant Heart, Advisor to Duke Eltan
Bio, Journal

"A proper example is a greater weapon for Good than the sword."
-Aaron Lyonaler
User avatar
Passiflora
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.

Re: Skill roll guide?

Unread post by Passiflora »

A pleasure. :)
Go home and be a familly cat!

Return to “Questions for DMs”