If we are allowed to make this sort of city then that brings up several more questions I have: First, how close exactly can we make this city? Does it have to be far away or can it be some decent miles from baldur's gate?
If we allow this sort of thing added into our character's backstory does this help encourage dm's to create an interesting plot related to our character's backstory or does it help discourage it?
Do you think this runs the risk of players creating too many imaginary cities that it just starts getting absurd compared to the forgotten realms lore?
Could we perhaps make our character related to a particular duke of baldur's gate or some other random important character like maybe my characters father is indeed one of the dukes and could be in line for power on the server? Not that its important but I'm simply curious.
One last question: Not that I'm entirely making a story up for the purpose of a dm reading it and making a plot line BUT what exactly is it that dm's these days look for in a good backstory? Again I'm not creating my backstory entirely for the purpose of plots but since dm's Im sure read hundreds of backstories, what do you guys today look for in a backstory? I ask mainly because whenever I write a story I value greatly the opinion of "important people" rather than the common folk ( no offense to the awesome players who read this).
Thanks and I'll be looking forward to your response on this topic.