Lore Curator's Public Corner

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

DM_Xzar
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:22 am
Location: "Sword Coast Cartographers' Guild HQ"

Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by DM_Xzar »

Thread inspired by "Ask Arkanis".

If your question conserns the setting of Baldur's Gate and her Environs (i.e. Faerûn), please make a post here. I will attempt to provide an answer.

Please do not post about trivial things! I will only answer well formulated questions worthy of an answer. ;)
Retired DM
BGTSCC's Official Lore Curator
click here for the Atlas of the Sword Coast (with maps!)
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by Hoihe »

DM Xzar, what are the news on the "Elves of Faerun" Source-compliation's viability to our server I asked about?

In specific, the lack of hangover for elves.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
User avatar
Lockonnow
Posts: 3121
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by Lockonnow »

Okay i need to know what Monsters need blood and iam not talking about vampires and i have head about Blood golem to what eles is there hope you can help me
Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by Servin »

It is very difficult to find any lore on grey orcs. Would you be willing to create some background on those like there is on the city of Sshamath in lore of the lands (last thread)?
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
User avatar
Nomster
Posts: 1941
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by Nomster »

Nomster wrote:FAI & Magic,
The rules say -no magic-. Someone mentioned they had spoken with a DM who said healing magic is allowed. If there are such exceptions, can they be clarified in the rules..? When I see -no magic- I think no magic whatsoever is allowed. Be it a light spell, heal or a fireball. What is the thought on this?
DM Arkanis wrote:1. FAI and Magic - I can't make a ruling on this one. I believe that there are other threads where there is ongoing discussion. I can bring it up with the DM's if we need further clarification.
I would very much like a clarification please. If a healing spell is allowed for example, why would a Sending spell not be?

Nomster wrote:Amn & Cowled Wizards,
Apparently the Cowled Wizards worked -for- Amn during the Amn-Gate war on the server. In Lands of Intrigue - Amn it is specifically mentioned that they are an outlawed organization, someone being found out could mean death. Amnian people overall are very mistrusting of mages. How do I RP this inconsistency between server lore and actual lore? I have a character who I RP as not trusting mages but now I am not sure if that is the right way...
DM Arkanis wrote:2. Amn & Cowled Wizards - I would recommend you post of DM X_zar's Lord thread about this one and get him to give you some background.
Basically, how do I RP this inconsistency between server lore and actual lore? How are the Cowled Wizards viewed as on the server?
"I don't want to pretend at magic anymore. I want to be magic."

Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress & priestess of Mystra. [Retired]
Sily
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:57 am

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by Sily »

Could me and my friend have clarification concerning In Character Racism?

Is what our good farmer NPC, Norm Smith says true?

1. Are half-orcs allowed freely these days? Wasn't that rule different before? Are they only treated with "extreme mistrust"? (Or am I just confusing them for all orc-blood and specific rules concerning grey orcs?)

2. And what about Tieflings? The NPC says they are more tolerated than accepted. Yet, I see that many people just ignore the fiendish traits and go like "Hey, friend." - I mean, what's the official take on this? Are we allowed to treat them straight out with racism on the road? Isn't that just good RP, if it fits our characters?
7threalm
Retired Staff
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by 7threalm »

What is "darksteel" and how is it made,where is it mined? I cannot find anything in the books regarding it.

from the nwn 2

Darksteel is a dark grey metal that can be used in crafting weapons and armor. Armor made with darksteel are resistant to acid (5/-). Weapons made from darksteel inflict +1 electrical damage.

if there isn't any cannon can we get a dm ruling on its origins.
Duragin Balderden(Battle Rager of Kraak Helzak)

Rlyd (Drow Wizard)- Fearn School of Enchantment and Charm
User avatar
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: VIKING NORWAY!

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

Xzar,

What can you tell me about the Magisters and perhaps particularly the current one in our server time (according to Forgotten Realms wikia, that would be "Imrul Athelzedar (1328 DR – 1354 DR) Became the shadowstaff protector of Noumea.")? Do you have any lore on him/her (I don't know if the name is male or female, though it sounds male)?
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
DM_Xzar
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:22 am
Location: "Sword Coast Cartographers' Guild HQ"

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by DM_Xzar »

From Secrets of The Magister:
"The Magister of Mystra is one of the most mysterious—and misunderstood—beings in the Forgotten Realms. Some say the Magister is simply the most powerful mortal mage in all of Toril. Perhaps, but there is something more, something unique, about being so touched by the Mother of All Magic. Regardless, the mages of Faerûn foll up their sleeves and craft spells and items that they hope will empower them to win the office of Magister. A few will succeed. More will wish they'd never taken up magic in the first place."


Albaerum of Neverwinter, a Sage, has this to say about The Magister in "The Wonders of Magery":
"Of old, the mouths of Mystra made known to all who have the Power, that by the blessing of the godess, one mage shall be the Lady's champion, and master of magery. This one, called the Magister, does not rule, but rather wanders the Realms doing as desired, for good orill, and in time is cast down by other mages, and the mouths of Mystra shall name a new Magister. Thus the art shall live and grow, in strife and mystery, and never know the stifling yoke of law nor of authority. And the art shall grow stronger, for magely ambition grows with skill-in-art, and those waxing stronger will seek out incumbent weakness; from strife-of-art shall come greater strength. In the proper choosing of an enemy, each Magister brings glory, and greater strength, to the office. And in the seeking of that office, each magic brings glory, and greater strength, to the Art."


Almer Galarthund has this to say about being a Magister:
"'Tis a lonely thing, to be Magister. All shadows have eyes. Death is never far off, and often charges at one. 'Tis not an office for the faint of heart.


In the play "Hearts and Daggers for Them" the character Ferlinus Fooldark has the following line:
"He will be Magister. I know. I have seen the fire in his eyes."


About Imrul Athelzedar:
Azuth offers the office of Magister to him after the previous Magister, Maxildanarr Torstren, is killed in an avalanche. He reigns from 1328 to 1354.
Imrul approaches Noumea Drathchuld, a librarian in Silverymoon's Vault of Sages, as an apprentice. She later becomes the new Magister.
In 1353 on the 26th of Ches, Blackstaff Tower is visited by an unassuming wizard who names himself simply "Im" who is a friend of Khelben's. As it turns out, he is Imrul Athelzedar: the Magister of Mystra. He bestows surreptitious gifts of spell scrolls on the apprentices before he and Khelben retire to catch up. In a few hours, Khelben emerges, announcing that he has to leave with Im for a tenday or so. They depart as evening falls.
Imrul was killed in 1354 by Eron Imgrym of Shiertalar. Imrul's apprentice Noumea becomes Magister (reigns 1354 to 1370).


What are you planning, Deathgrowl? What is Laitae up to?

You can find much, much more info on the office of Magister in the AD&D book "Secrets of The Magister".
Retired DM
BGTSCC's Official Lore Curator
click here for the Atlas of the Sword Coast (with maps!)
DM_Xzar
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:22 am
Location: "Sword Coast Cartographers' Guild HQ"

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by DM_Xzar »

7threalm wrote:What is "darksteel" and how is it made,where is it mined? I cannot find anything in the books regarding it.

from the nwn 2

Darksteel is a dark grey metal that can be used in crafting weapons and armor. Armor made with darksteel are resistant to acid (5/-). Weapons made from darksteel inflict +1 electrical damage.

if there isn't any cannon can we get a dm ruling on its origins.
Darksteel is canon. It is refered to in Dwarves Deep. And also in Magic of Faerûn.

Darksteel was a very hard alloy whose make-up was a closely guarded secret of Clan Ironstar. This clan resided in the Spine of the World mountains. Between -2919 DR and 207 DR. So they no longer exist in our current time. They got attacked by Orc invaders.

One known type if darksteel weapon is the Ironstar Mace. These were forged by Clan Ironstar. The darksteel weapons forged by the clan were probably spread to the Sword Coast by gnomes and halflings, via the river Surbrin, then Dessarin, which ends on the Sword Coast.

Also, a runehammer is made of darksteel. It contains the ability to cast a spell once per day, but the spell is the same each time, stored in the head of the hammer in the shape of a rune, giving the item its name. There are three common types of runehammer: Alhalbrin (heat metal), Faerindyl (burning hands) and Thundaril (polymorph other into either snail or toad).

Since it was such a closely guarded secret, I don't know how it is forged.
Retired DM
BGTSCC's Official Lore Curator
click here for the Atlas of the Sword Coast (with maps!)
DM_Xzar
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:22 am
Location: "Sword Coast Cartographers' Guild HQ"

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by DM_Xzar »

Sily wrote:Could me and my friend have clarification concerning In Character Racism?

Is what our good farmer NPC, Norm Smith says true?

1. Are half-orcs allowed freely these days? Wasn't that rule different before? Are they only treated with "extreme mistrust"? (Or am I just confusing them for all orc-blood and specific rules concerning grey orcs?)

2. And what about Tieflings? The NPC says they are more tolerated than accepted. Yet, I see that many people just ignore the fiendish traits and go like "Hey, friend." - I mean, what's the official take on this? Are we allowed to treat them straight out with racism on the road? Isn't that just good RP, if it fits our characters?
Half-orcs are not Grey-orcs. There might be some mistrust, or even hatred toward them, but they may wander freely across the Sword Coast. Unlike Grey-orcs, who may not even enter some places. Such as Candlekeep and Doron Amar. And to my knowledge (until very recently) Baldur's Gate was also off limits for the Greys. If it fits your character, you may insult them based on race (orc blood) or physical traits (horns, fangs).
Retired DM
BGTSCC's Official Lore Curator
click here for the Atlas of the Sword Coast (with maps!)
DM_Xzar
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:22 am
Location: "Sword Coast Cartographers' Guild HQ"

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by DM_Xzar »

Nomster wrote:
Nomster wrote:FAI & Magic,
The rules say -no magic-. Someone mentioned they had spoken with a DM who said healing magic is allowed. If there are such exceptions, can they be clarified in the rules..? When I see -no magic- I think no magic whatsoever is allowed. Be it a light spell, heal or a fireball. What is the thought on this?
DM Arkanis wrote:1. FAI and Magic - I can't make a ruling on this one. I believe that there are other threads where there is ongoing discussion. I can bring it up with the DM's if we need further clarification.
I would very much like a clarification please. If a healing spell is allowed for example, why would a Sending spell not be?
Yes, no magic is allowed in the Friendly Arm Inn, period. As caster your thumbs are bound to your belt or something similar. I'm not saying that it is impossible to cast spells. Obviously somatic spells can just be said out loud, without use of hands. But that would be metagaming the guards. If a DM were there, he'd certainly have the guards arrest you.

I am actually working on ingame rule and law clarifications for the FAI. Hope to have these done soon.

Nomster wrote:
Nomster wrote:Amn & Cowled Wizards,
Apparently the Cowled Wizards worked -for- Amn during the Amn-Gate war on the server. In Lands of Intrigue - Amn it is specifically mentioned that they are an outlawed organization, someone being found out could mean death. Amnian people overall are very mistrusting of mages. How do I RP this inconsistency between server lore and actual lore? I have a character who I RP as not trusting mages but now I am not sure if that is the right way...
DM Arkanis wrote:2. Amn & Cowled Wizards - I would recommend you post of DM X_zar's Lord thread about this one and get him to give you some background.
Basically, how do I RP this inconsistency between server lore and actual lore? How are the Cowled Wizards viewed as on the server?
I am not aware of any inconsistency. To my knowledge the Cowled Wizards are tolerated in Amn because they keep rogue wizards in check. In Amn, arcane casters are feared and loathed. Because of a series of plagues and monsters released by certain schools of wizards. The Cowled Wizards are just the lesser of two evils.

Can you quote for me, or tell me where in Lands of Intrigue it says that they are an outlawed organization, so I can read up on it. Also, keep in mind that much of our setting is also based off the BG video games. Where the Cowled Wizards are not at odds with Amn and work to keep Athkatla free of rogue wizards.
Retired DM
BGTSCC's Official Lore Curator
click here for the Atlas of the Sword Coast (with maps!)
User avatar
Lockonnow
Posts: 3121
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by Lockonnow »

well in neverwinter night 2 is a head master of the Magic school he is name as Magister
User avatar
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: VIKING NORWAY!

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

Page 8, 18 and 19 of the book has information on this according tohttp://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cowled_Wizards

Here it says that one of the Council of Six was killed when the other councilors found out that he was a cowled wizard. That says pretty much outlaw to me.
DM_Xzar wrote:What are you planning, Deathgrowl? What is Laitae up to?
Well, obviously I can't do much without DMs in this regard, but I don't actually have anything planned. I just wanted to find out a bit about the magister, who has, I think, a pretty interesting position.

I'd of course love to see something involving the Chosen, the Magister or the Church of Mystra happen, as the Church of Mystra is kind of huge lore wise. But right now, I think I am the only person on the server that has Mystra as a patron for a divine class, and I only have a few levels. And it's not even cleric.

I have been thinking of perhaps starting something similar to the Church of Lathander and Church of Ilmater with Mystra, but the current temple interior of Mystra is kind of boring... We'll see.

Anyways, point is, I was just curious about the Magister (because I know Midnight was being groomed to become Magister before she took Mystra's place). And hope to sometime have some kind of event/plot involving the current one.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
User avatar
dak12attack
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:31 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Lore Curator's Public Corner

Unread post by dak12attack »

Hidden: show
DM_Xzar wrote:
Nomster wrote:
Nomster wrote:FAI & Magic,
The rules say -no magic-. Someone mentioned they had spoken with a DM who said healing magic is allowed. If there are such exceptions, can they be clarified in the rules..? When I see -no magic- I think no magic whatsoever is allowed. Be it a light spell, heal or a fireball. What is the thought on this?
DM Arkanis wrote:1. FAI and Magic - I can't make a ruling on this one. I believe that there are other threads where there is ongoing discussion. I can bring it up with the DM's if we need further clarification.
I would very much like a clarification please. If a healing spell is allowed for example, why would a Sending spell not be?
Yes, no magic is allowed in the Friendly Arm Inn, period. As caster your thumbs are bound to your belt or something similar. I'm not saying that it is impossible to cast spells. Obviously somatic spells can just be said out loud, without use of hands. But that would be metagaming the guards. If a DM were there, he'd certainly have the guards arrest you.

I am actually working on ingame rule and law clarifications for the FAI. Hope to have these done soon.
Correct me if I am wrong, but can those of the Radiant Heart ( not that I am apart of that guild ) cast healing spells? I thought I read somewhere where those associated with the Radiant Heart didn't have to give up their weapons or peace-tie them. . . Though I'm sure that's a mistake on my part. =)
Eberc Smitherman III - Eccentric, Eclectic Techsmith & Theurge, Boy-Wonder of the Wonderbringer, Man in the Yellow Hat

Return to “Questions for DMs”