Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Unread post by Servin »

As far as the iron rules go - summons in any city on the server are a no no. But...

Recent server development has introduced a humanoid animal(?) companion for druids and clerics with animal domain. The iron rule still makes sense for surface cities, but no longer for the underdark's Sshamath and having an animal companion of such type allows further RP opportunities.

Sshamath lore says:

http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78
Slaves
Sshamath is as close to a free city as you will get from the drow, designed to encourage trade so the Conclave can accumulate as much magical power as possible. A much larger variety of races live and work together as free people, if not citizens, in Sshamath than do in Menzo. Slavery is critical to the functioning of any drow city as compared to other humanoids they are not numerous, they reproduce slower, and require much more resources to raise to adulthood. Much as nazi germany depended upon slaves to fuel their production during the war so do drow rely upon slaves to do most of the day-to-day farming and production associated with a functional society.

That being said Sshamath treats slavery differently than in other drow cities. Whereas in other cities anyone who is weak enough will undoubtedly become a slave, in Sshamath races considered capable of wizardry such as humans, elves, svirfneblin and deep imaskari are never kept as slaves by citizens. However they are permitted as the slaves of visitors. The slaves of Sshamath are largely resigned to their fate. In addition to the liberal use of charm magic, the conclave permits visitors to bring in small groups of their own slaves and to occasionally purchase slaves from other cities. These practices ensure that Sshamath slaves are aware that their life here is not nearly as bad as elsewhere.

Creatures who demonstrate an aptitude for wizardry are considered free in the eyes of Sshamath law and are allowed to live albeit in a ghetto, the Darkwoods, that is prevented from getting too big. This ghetto is populated by a host of shebali (commoner) drow, rivvil (humans), svirfneblin and many other non-citizens of Sshamath.
The Duergar are the exception to this has they have forged a direct relationship with the Conclave, they maintain their own quarters in the place they work, the Darkspires.

(...)

Slave Races: 50,000 total
Goblin 39%
Grimlock 19%
Orc 12%
Ogre 10%
Minotaur 9%
Human 6%
Outsider 5%
Some of the above list can be summoned by a druid and act as a slave to a character. The only problem with those is that you can't disarm them, so they always carry a weapon.

Is it time to revise that rule at least for the underdark?
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Unread post by Luna »

Is someone giving you a hard time about it?
Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Unread post by Servin »

Actually the other way round. I was asking some players to un-summon those, but we could do with an official (head) DM resolution. A civilised debate with one such player has made me to post here and as much as I don't have animal companions, I think it would make sense for others to RP with those and support their cause (for all that it matters).
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Unread post by Servin »

Any update on that?
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
DM Narshe
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am

Re: Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Unread post by DM Narshe »

Summoning an animal companion isn't like summoning an elder elemental. It's an extraordinary ability. The creature already exists, native to the plane. You're just calling it to your side.

Slaves are allowed in Sshamath. Legality of slave-races based on who or what qualifies as a "creature capable of mastery over magic" likely doesn't apply to Humanoid companions as they don't gain spells or spell-like abilities at all.

Other DMs may provide a different response. This is an issue that has been raised a few times before with no solid consensus given.
Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Unread post by Servin »

We (the UD society) would really appreciate if this matter would be made clear, closed and (personally hoping that) allowed, due to RP opportunities it carries.
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
DM Novus
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Re: Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Unread post by DM Novus »

There is the problem of mechanics, where like noted, the humanoid summons is brandishing a weapon.

There is also the question as to whether a companion—even a humanoid version—is actually a slave to the druid master. Considering that:
One of the features for druids, rangers, sorcerers, and wizards is the ability to gain an animal companion or familiar. Although treated in different ways, these loyal beings can be seen as extensions of their master's will. Animal companions are commonly utilized as an alarm, a tracker, or an extra fighter during a brawl. Familiars boost their master's skills and can literally act as an extra set of eyes and ears.
Also, I am VERY hesitant to allow Player Characters slaves. I think I do not have to mention why...
The most important post you will ever read:

THE LAWS OF THE LANDS (IC)
User avatar
Passiflora
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.

Re: Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Unread post by Passiflora »

Player-character slaves wern't allowed in the past, as far as I know.
Go home and be a familly cat!
Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Unread post by Servin »

There is the problem of mechanics, where like noted, the humanoid summons is brandishing a weapon.
That's a game client issue and not RP.
DM Novus wrote: There is also the question as to whether a companion—even a humanoid version—is actually a slave to the druid master. Considering that:
One of the features for druids, rangers, sorcerers, and wizards is the ability to gain an animal companion or familiar. Although treated in different ways, these loyal beings can be seen as extensions of their master's will. Animal companions are commonly utilized as an alarm, a tracker, or an extra fighter during a brawl. Familiars boost their master's skills and can literally act as an extra set of eyes and ears.
This is a setting matter really. I'm sure the surfacers see their companions different to what the underdarklings think they are. Slavery is very limited in the surface to begin with. It isn't so in the UD.

The quote description is rather neutral about it.
Also, I am VERY hesitant to allow Player Characters slaves. I think I do not have to mention why...
Uhm! You might have to :D Because as far as the reasons I can think of go, there are rules in place to make it PG-13. Similarly anyone can do similar treatment to mobs they have or are about to kill.
Passiflora wrote:Player-character slaves wern't allowed in the past, as far as I know.
This is not a topic about that. This is a discussion about player - animal companion slaves.
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
Considerate_
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 am

Re: Humanoid animal companions vs Sshamath

Unread post by Considerate_ »

Player character slaves was and currently is allowed, in the form of Tanarukk's and Orcs per the rules posted in Gloria's Wing:

Subject: Sshamath and slavery RP Guidelines.
  • Citizens and residents of Sshamath may not own PC slaves, with the exception of Orcs and Tanarukks.
The humanoid companion is also available to clerics with the Animal domain... Weird as that sounds ;)
Tamara - "I've seen colours you would never dream of"
Neschera - "Logic can bring you from one step to the next, creativity can bring you from anywhere to everywhere"

Return to “Questions for DMs”