New Script
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
ooggbboo
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:44 pm
New Script
After playing on this PW, I put together a small set of scripts (non-heartbeat user-friendly) for possible use. No ego involved if they're not used, but they represent (in my opinion) an interesting solution to a community issue. I have the mod/erf; where do I send it?
-
Sir_Carnifex
- Posts: 469
- Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
- Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: New Script
Whats it do? Did I miss that somewhere?
-
ooggbboo
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:44 pm
Re: New Script
No, I was deliberately vague. Whenever a player sets a trap, the script triggers (non-heartbeat) and makes an entry in a Flaming Fist member-accessible "Book of Crimes" listing the name of the trapsetter and the time. The book can also be cleared of entries through dialogue, and the script itself is easily customizable to not trigger if the trap it set in certain areas.
I've seen people complain about traps in certain areas, and I recall a DM recently threatening to go through logs to find an offender, which is goofy. This is much easier, and opens up an RP solution to the problem (i.e. members of the Fist essentially have a mystic subpoena when someone sets a trap in a prohibited area). The script can also be set to "countdown" when a PC sets a trap in a prohibited area and then detonate. I'd like to see an RP solution to the problem of trap-seeding, and this is one option.
I've seen people complain about traps in certain areas, and I recall a DM recently threatening to go through logs to find an offender, which is goofy. This is much easier, and opens up an RP solution to the problem (i.e. members of the Fist essentially have a mystic subpoena when someone sets a trap in a prohibited area). The script can also be set to "countdown" when a PC sets a trap in a prohibited area and then detonate. I'd like to see an RP solution to the problem of trap-seeding, and this is one option.
-
c2k
- Posts: 1230
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm
Re: New Script
I don't think the Flaming Fist should have knowledge of a trapsetter just by them setting traps.
If this is a script that is supposed to deter the trap griefing at spawn-in locations, I think that information is best sent to an admin log. For all we know, its already implemented, because its not one of those things you announce since you want to catch the problem in the act.
If this is a script that is supposed to deter the trap griefing at spawn-in locations, I think that information is best sent to an admin log. For all we know, its already implemented, because its not one of those things you announce since you want to catch the problem in the act.
-
adzling
- Posts: 439
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 12:26 pm
Re: New Script
hey but we always need extra scripting resources.
how much time do you have on your hands ooggbboo?
how much time do you have on your hands ooggbboo?
http://bgtscc.fomwaa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78
Welcome to Sshamath!
Welcome to Sshamath!
-
Sir_Carnifex
- Posts: 469
- Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
- Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite
Re: New Script
I would say to just give the DMs that book and let the reports come in to the DMs. The Flaming Fist couldn't do much about it most times anyway (although they probably should be seeing who is placing traps on the bridge).
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
-
ooggbboo
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:44 pm
Re: New Script
Enough to help out (after a friend bought me Civ 4 I did http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads ... e&id=13313 because modding games is as or more fun than playing them). Although, if you want my help I'd like to clean up spelling errors in the PW game text. My father is an English professor, and the interchangeable "to" and "too" is starting to get to me.adzling wrote:hey but we always need extra scripting resources.
how much time do you have on your hands ooggbboo?
-
Broham2
- Posts: 542
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:36 pm
- Location: Iowa, USA
Re: New Script
What do you have for sell?ooggbboo wrote:Enough to help out (after a friend bought me Civ 4 I did http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads ... e&id=13313 because modding games is as or more fun than playing them). Although, if you want my help I'd like to clean up spelling errors in the PW game text. My father is an English professor, and the interchangeable "to" and "too" is starting to get to me.adzling wrote:hey but we always need extra scripting resources.
how much time do you have on your hands ooggbboo?
Ha ha. The crazy grammar and spelling is part of what makes this PW unique.. or something?
Formerly DM Mayhem
RL tough guy wrote:"Watch my picture. I am a RL tough guy, and I rip people like you to shreds"
-
ooggbboo
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:44 pm
Re: New Script
Agreeish. I'd like to find a happy medium between DM and Flaming Fist activity when it comes to enforcing rules. On an RP world I think problems, unless they arise from a bug or exploit, should be solved through RP as much as possible rather than asking God to change the rules of the universe or asking the invisible demigod DMs to run around punishing people.Sir_Carnifex wrote:I would say to just give the DMs that book and let the reports come in to the DMs. The Flaming Fist couldn't do much about it most times anyway (although they probably should be seeing who is placing traps on the bridge).
Perhaps 5th level Fist members could gain a feat "Sense Crime," an almost supernatural ability to detect infractions. It would be simple to #include a "Sense Crime" check script into crime detection functions. Say PCs with the feat can toggle whether they're "on patrol." If a Fist member with the feat is on patrol in the same area when a crime is committed, they get a tell with the criminal's info and a temporary haste/true sight buff. In this case, from an RP perspective there was a problem (indiscriminate trapping); people went to the Fist asking for help; the Fist responded by instituting special training, aided by a mysterious enchantment granted to their most powerful members that gives them a superhuman ability to stop crimes in their jurisdiction.
-
mute83
- Posts: 705
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:20 pm
- Location: in my cave (denmark)
Re: New Script
when people use mecanics (like that there arent a DM on to controal a fist etc) the same means should be used against them
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
-
Powell
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:55 pm
- Location: in the right, as usual
Re: New Script
How about Sense Drow?ooggbboo wrote:Agreeish. I'd like to find a happy medium between DM and Flaming Fist activity when it comes to enforcing rules. On an RP world I think problems, unless they arise from a bug or exploit, should be solved through RP as much as possible rather than asking God to change the rules of the universe or asking the invisible demigod DMs to run around punishing people.Sir_Carnifex wrote:I would say to just give the DMs that book and let the reports come in to the DMs. The Flaming Fist couldn't do much about it most times anyway (although they probably should be seeing who is placing traps on the bridge).
Perhaps 5th level Fist members could gain a feat "Sense Crime," an almost supernatural ability to detect infractions. It would be simple to #include a "Sense Crime" check script into crime detection functions. Say PCs with the feat can toggle whether they're "on patrol." If a Fist member with the feat is on patrol in the same area when a crime is committed, they get a tell with the criminal's info and a temporary haste/true sight buff. In this case, from an RP perspective there was a problem (indiscriminate trapping); people went to the Fist asking for help; the Fist responded by instituting special training, aided by a mysterious enchantment granted to their most powerful members that gives them a superhuman ability to stop crimes in their jurisdiction.
QQ moar pzl / baaaw, lolrus needs his bukkit support group ;-;
-
DjnTech
- Posts: 48
- Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 7:52 am
Re: New Script
I would like to add to that idea by saying how about getting the thieves guild a script setthat notifies us if someone attempts a pickpocket or sets a trap etc
After all the word on the street of unlawful activity will likely reach our ears before the Fist.. This then opens up Rp scenarios for us in our recruit process of new rogues comming in.
As a result it allows us to get new player introduced to an existing faction that would cater to their persona
Similiar scripts could be done fro a druid using wild shape,, As the circle is intune with itself and would hear word of another through the grape vine so to speak
If these scripts can be set up for the guild leaders to monitor I think we have a great tool we should give serious consideration to
After all the word on the street of unlawful activity will likely reach our ears before the Fist.. This then opens up Rp scenarios for us in our recruit process of new rogues comming in.
As a result it allows us to get new player introduced to an existing faction that would cater to their persona
Similiar scripts could be done fro a druid using wild shape,, As the circle is intune with itself and would hear word of another through the grape vine so to speak
If these scripts can be set up for the guild leaders to monitor I think we have a great tool we should give serious consideration to
The MIDGET that makes you FIDGET
-
c2k
- Posts: 1230
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm
Re: New Script
I would rather add the skill "Sense Motive". That way Paladins, followers of Tyr, and yes even Tyrants of Bane and street-wise thieves could get in on it.ooggbboo wrote:Agreeish. I'd like to find a happy medium between DM and Flaming Fist activity when it comes to enforcing rules. On an RP world I think problems, unless they arise from a bug or exploit, should be solved through RP as much as possible rather than asking God to change the rules of the universe or asking the invisible demigod DMs to run around punishing people.Sir_Carnifex wrote:I would say to just give the DMs that book and let the reports come in to the DMs. The Flaming Fist couldn't do much about it most times anyway (although they probably should be seeing who is placing traps on the bridge).
Perhaps 5th level Fist members could gain a feat "Sense Crime," an almost supernatural ability to detect infractions. It would be simple to #include a "Sense Crime" check script into crime detection functions. Say PCs with the feat can toggle whether they're "on patrol." If a Fist member with the feat is on patrol in the same area when a crime is committed, they get a tell with the criminal's info and a temporary haste/true sight buff. In this case, from an RP perspective there was a problem (indiscriminate trapping); people went to the Fist asking for help; the Fist responded by instituting special training, aided by a mysterious enchantment granted to their most powerful members that gives them a superhuman ability to stop crimes in their jurisdiction.
Edit: I wonder if it is possible to script more inspirations. I'm guessing no because they are like modes, which are impossible to script well due to hard code. However, if you could, a Marshal base class would be a big boost to the Flaming Fist, as you would have commander type auras to bolter the troops.