Status of the ethereal spells
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Valefort
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 9779
- Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm
- Location: France, GMT +2
Status of the ethereal spells
Etherealness and Ethereal Jaunt, mechanically they prevent you from being attacked directly.
But what do these spells do ? Do they transport you in the ethereal plane or are they sanctuary spells ? A clear ruling would be welcome, thanks !
But what do these spells do ? Do they transport you in the ethereal plane or are they sanctuary spells ? A clear ruling would be welcome, thanks !
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
-
Passiflora
- Posts: 2230
- Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
- Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
They were supposed to be changed for 'sanctuary' if they're not.
I'd also like to know exactly what's going on with this -clearly-, because they can't really bring you in the ethereal plane, as you can't pass walls in nwn2 with this spell.
If Novus or a senior DM could awnser this with a definitive awnser, as my own view was from staff discussion from... two or three years ago, It'd be fun.
As for the discussion from the past about etherealness, I can bring up a small sumary of what was decided.
-Etherealness spells were supposed to -all- be replaced with greater sanctuary spells, as by the staff's decision.
-One or two ethereal spells were forgotten.
-No one spoke about it for a while, and they never got their names changed.
That was pretty much it.
I'd also like to know exactly what's going on with this -clearly-, because they can't really bring you in the ethereal plane, as you can't pass walls in nwn2 with this spell.
If Novus or a senior DM could awnser this with a definitive awnser, as my own view was from staff discussion from... two or three years ago, It'd be fun.
As for the discussion from the past about etherealness, I can bring up a small sumary of what was decided.
-Etherealness spells were supposed to -all- be replaced with greater sanctuary spells, as by the staff's decision.
-One or two ethereal spells were forgotten.
-No one spoke about it for a while, and they never got their names changed.
That was pretty much it.
Go home and be a familly cat!
-
Heartfilia
- Posts: 70
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:51 am
- Location: Indianapolis
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
Also once the status of the spells is clarified we should ask about what this means. Sanctuary basically puts the caster under a veil, and cannot be attacked unless the attacker has significant will to overcome his desire not to do so.
That being said, Dimensional Anchor/Lock would not stop you from using these spells like they stop Ethereal spells. Does dimensional lock stop these spells mechanically or is this just an RP concern?
That being said, Dimensional Anchor/Lock would not stop you from using these spells like they stop Ethereal spells. Does dimensional lock stop these spells mechanically or is this just an RP concern?
-
Deathgrowl
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 6603
- Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
- Location: VIKING NORWAY!
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
... I mean... So what if you can't walk through walls? It should still be Etherealness. If a player wants to RP it as walking through walls, they need a DM. Who can say "sorry, warded". Otherwise they can't. But at least it is somewhat lore appropriate, then.Passiflora wrote: I'd also like to know exactly what's going on with this -clearly-, because they can't really bring you in the ethereal plane, as you can't pass walls in nwn2 with this spell.
Last edited by Deathgrowl on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
-
PeeHell
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:56 pm
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
All that spell changing is great, unless you play a Red Wizard with the school of transmutation and count on the spell ,and it enhanced duration due to Spell power and what it'S suposed to do.
Perhaps mechanically you can't walk throught doors/walls, but Rply, during events, you could?
Also, you can'T set fields on fire with fireball spell, mechanically,but you can if supervised by a Dm during an event.
I think you can make a compromise without screwing that school (and Red Wizards of that school of magic) further more.
Perhaps mechanically you can't walk throught doors/walls, but Rply, during events, you could?
Also, you can'T set fields on fire with fireball spell, mechanically,but you can if supervised by a Dm during an event.
I think you can make a compromise without screwing that school (and Red Wizards of that school of magic) further more.
Daddy Lvl 1 !
-
7threalm
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 1952
- Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 am
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
I do not know what they do, I just know the sound they make when I run away,
Duragin Balderden(Battle Rager of Kraak Helzak)
Rlyd (Drow Wizard)- Fearn School of Enchantment and Charm
Rlyd (Drow Wizard)- Fearn School of Enchantment and Charm
-
ohboy007
- Posts: 336
- Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm
- Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
That's pretty much what I got out of it. I veiwed it as a sanctuary spell.Passiflora wrote:They were supposed to be changed for 'sanctuary' if they're not.
I'd also like to know exactly what's going on with this -clearly-, because they can't really bring you in the ethereal plane, as you can't pass walls in nwn2 with this spell.
If Novus or a senior DM could awnser this with a definitive awnser, as my own view was from staff discussion from... two or three years ago, It'd be fun.
As for the discussion from the past about etherealness, I can bring up a small sumary of what was decided.
-Etherealness spells were supposed to -all- be replaced with greater sanctuary spells, as by the staff's decision.
-One or two ethereal spells were forgotten.
-No one spoke about it for a while, and they never got their names changed.
That was pretty much it.
PS bug: Do not use it in with invisibility on and the other person can see through invisibility. You will remain targetable.
I did have one DM that I believe treated it as a ethereal spell because he had the NPC cast dimensional anchor on my sorc to prevent her from going ethereal, or at least teleporting. To be clear, I'm not sure that's what he was going for but as you can see, it will be important to make these distinctions when certain situations are brought to characters. Some even take issue with the fact you can use dominate attacks, and a few other "offensive" spells, while staying concealed. Be nice to get a ruling on that as well.
The Red Sorceress Sabel Faeria
Tommy Slick-Boot Bones (Rumored bounty hunter)
"Shhh! Pay the shadows no mind."
Nomusa Nuru (The Druid from Chult with mysterious arcane powers)
"With Ubtao as my witness, I shall find the evil that plaques my land and put an end to it."
Tommy Slick-Boot Bones (Rumored bounty hunter)
"Shhh! Pay the shadows no mind."
Nomusa Nuru (The Druid from Chult with mysterious arcane powers)
"With Ubtao as my witness, I shall find the evil that plaques my land and put an end to it."
-
Valefort
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 9779
- Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm
- Location: France, GMT +2
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
*bump* Heartfilia noticed the NPC guards react as if they don't see you when your character is under sanctuary.
Are these spells some kind of invisibility+sanctuary ?
Are these spells some kind of invisibility+sanctuary ?
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
-
Heartfilia
- Posts: 70
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:51 am
- Location: Indianapolis
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
Also quite curious about this! I hate not knowing what I'm supposed to RP.Valefort wrote:*bump* Heartfilia noticed the NPC guards react as if they don't see you when your character is under sanctuary.
Are these spells some kind of invisibility+sanctuary ?
-
Silver_Lining
- Posts: 649
- Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:58 pm
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
I would very much like a staff member to clarify this please.
I recently ran into a PC who ran up to my PC and cast buffs on her then ran away. (I did not know at the time that she had an ethereal spell cast on her. )
My PC got angry, b/c she doesn't allow just anyone to cast on her, and she was never asked if this was something she wanted to allow, it was just done to her then the pc ran off.
The player then sent me a tell saying 'first off, I can't see them b/c they're ethereal'.
I explained that if they are in the ethereal realm, nor could they be casting on my pc. You can't cast on people across planes.
Then the player said that the spell is treated like sanctuary here.
Casting on an unwilling recipient, to me, weather intended as such or not, can be taken as a hostile action. a) you can't preform hostile actions against anyone while in sanctuary or the sanctuary ends immediately and b) if it was just a sanctuary spell (under the mechanics of Ethereal) that I most certainly can see them b/c you can see people with the sanctuary spell on them.
I would very much like to know how the staff would like us to handle this spell.
If this is supposed to be sanctuary perhaps we can have it renamed in the game so it's clear, with a clear definition of how it is to be used and what can/can not be done while under this spell to others, and if in fact, you can be seen..
This would be a HUGE help should this situation ever again arise..
I recently ran into a PC who ran up to my PC and cast buffs on her then ran away. (I did not know at the time that she had an ethereal spell cast on her. )
My PC got angry, b/c she doesn't allow just anyone to cast on her, and she was never asked if this was something she wanted to allow, it was just done to her then the pc ran off.
The player then sent me a tell saying 'first off, I can't see them b/c they're ethereal'.
I explained that if they are in the ethereal realm, nor could they be casting on my pc. You can't cast on people across planes.
Then the player said that the spell is treated like sanctuary here.
Casting on an unwilling recipient, to me, weather intended as such or not, can be taken as a hostile action. a) you can't preform hostile actions against anyone while in sanctuary or the sanctuary ends immediately and b) if it was just a sanctuary spell (under the mechanics of Ethereal) that I most certainly can see them b/c you can see people with the sanctuary spell on them.
I would very much like to know how the staff would like us to handle this spell.
If this is supposed to be sanctuary perhaps we can have it renamed in the game so it's clear, with a clear definition of how it is to be used and what can/can not be done while under this spell to others, and if in fact, you can be seen..
This would be a HUGE help should this situation ever again arise..
Retired Player
-
DM Narshe
- Posts: 1227
- Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
Even "nonhostile" spells such as buffs can be resisted either through saves or spell resistance. NWN2 doesn't support those mechanics, but you're welcome to roll dice for it ingame if you wanted.
-
NegInfinity
- Posts: 2449
- Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 am
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
Well, you can, but that requires metamagic feat ("transdimensional spell", page 84) that is not implemented here.Silver_Lining wrote: I explained that if they are in the ethereal realm, nor could they be casting on my pc. You can't cast on people across planes.
Maybe it would make sense to change the spell back, so it isn't a sanctuary anymore, but a proper etherealness? Doesn't really matter if you can't pass through the walls, it could be explained as local magical disturbance of sorts.
-
Valkyrie
- Posts: 164
- Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:33 am
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
Will the Spotter Script affect the new Sanctuary spells? And can we expect randomly assigned NPC True Seeing to thwart the spells?
-
Aelcar
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 am
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
No, and no.Valkyrie wrote:Will the Spotter Script affect the new Sanctuary spells? And can we expect randomly assigned NPC True Seeing to thwart the spells?
In particular, there is currently only one place on the server with mobs that can see and attack ethereal characters: the road to Darkhold. And I think it was removed, or it will be, because it's ill advised.
Aelcar Lightbringer, Knight of the Merciful Sword: Disappeared after the victorious defense of the Gate against The Blight.
Olath M'elzar Valshar The Black, The Phantom Wizard: Retired Steward of the School of Necromancy and former Eye of the 7th Circle.
Olath M'elzar Valshar The Black, The Phantom Wizard: Retired Steward of the School of Necromancy and former Eye of the 7th Circle.
-
DM Setanta
- Posts: 778
- Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 pm
Re: Status of the ethereal spells
Magic missile and other force spells are supposed to effect creatures on the ethereal plane as well. Making the whole thing even more complicated.
“Knowledge is knowing the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting in your fruit salad.”