CR1 Zombie DR

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Diarmadhim
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:08 pm

CR1 Zombie DR

Unread post by Diarmadhim »

Hi there - I've noticed that the zombies in the CR1 area near Baldur's Gate seem to still get Damage Resistance against slashing weapons. Is it meant to be this way? I ask because my minimum damage is 4, yet I've seen myself do only 1 and 2 damage with a dwarven waraxe equipped. I also checked it with a sickle equipped and the DR seemed to still be applied. I can email a picture upon request.
DM Narshe
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am

Re: CR1 Zombie DR

Unread post by DM Narshe »

Try a bludgeon weapon. ;)
mangel
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 11:14 am

Re: CR1 Zombie DR

Unread post by mangel »

Aren't zombies supposed to use slashing against, and skeletons you should bludgeon?
DM Setanta
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: CR1 Zombie DR

Unread post by DM Setanta »

No, you bludgeon both. Zombie is just a skeleton with some dead flesh on them. Cutting the flesh wont hurt them, they don't even need it.
“Knowledge is knowing the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting in your fruit salad.”
dzidek1983
Posts: 1248
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: CR1 Zombie DR

Unread post by dzidek1983 »

its not that hard to use a blunt weapon
you have such weapons designed for all classes and races so wont have problem using one even if you are a hin rogue...
Hey, I just lost it, And this is crazy, But here's my login, So PM me, maybe?
User avatar
Passiflora
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.

Re: CR1 Zombie DR

Unread post by Passiflora »

In D&D, it is indead slashing you need against zombies.

In NWN2, they've put bludgeoning on them all it seems.
Go home and be a familly cat!
mireigi
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: CR1 Zombie DR

Unread post by mireigi »

Passiflora wrote:In D&D, it is indead slashing you need against zombies.

In NWN2, they've put bludgeoning on them all it seems.
IIRC, in DnD you use most Slashing weapons as Bludgeoning weapons as well due to the weight you can put behind each sideways swing, but you won't get the maximum effect out of it, incurring a minor DR of 2 instead of 5.
Fhaeo'Lingi Mriht'Ess - Akh'Aegis of EDE
Tolan Faeglin - Morninglord of Lathander
Phar Anlith - Mercenary, Tracker, Information Broker
Adoros Battleheart - Ungraceful battlerager
Cain Gellantara - Knight Champion of Tempus
Davvry - Sneaks
Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Re: CR1 Zombie DR

Unread post by Servin »

DM Setanta wrote:No, you bludgeon both. Zombie is just a skeleton with some dead flesh on them. Cutting the flesh wont hurt them, they don't even need it.
The dead flesh nullifies the blunt impact. Try hitting a flat plate with a hammer having put a pillow on it.
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
Considerate_
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 am

Re: CR1 Zombie DR

Unread post by Considerate_ »

Just to pipe in, this was a change made by the BG developers. In DnD you indeed woulld have to use slashing weapons against zombies and bludgeoning against skeletons - to prevent the constant swapping of weapons against CR1 monsters, it was changed to just be one type of damage resistance. I imagine this was to make it easier on newcomers and the like..

Source showing NWN2 did the resistances for both slashing and bludgeoning:
http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie
http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Skeleton
Tamara - "I've seen colours you would never dream of"
Neschera - "Logic can bring you from one step to the next, creativity can bring you from anywhere to everywhere"
Diarmadhim
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:08 pm

Re: CR1 Zombie DR

Unread post by Diarmadhim »

Ahh! Okay, I didn't realize that zombies weren't written as traditional D&D zombies on this server :D I have been using slashing on zombies and bludgeoning on skeletons. I carry a weapon of each type and different metals too, but I hadn't even considered trying bludgeoning on the zombies.

Return to “Questions for DMs”