A couple of questions

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

User avatar
all_distorted
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:08 pm

A couple of questions

Unread post by all_distorted »

I haven't managed to find anything about it in any toolset guide I have or on Bioware forums, so I thought, may be someone here would know;)

So, here is my couple of questions:

1) Books. There is a number of books not with recipes, but with some lore texts which can be found in OC, and I have seen those on our server as well occasionally appearing in the chests. So, my question is this - are those texts manully typed for each book or is there a database for them in the toolset data and texts can be imported?

2) Custom music. If I am trying to make something for a PW and would like custom music to play in an area, for example, something from Mysteries of Wesgate; I know it is possible, but would it also be heard by all the other players?
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Unread post by Luna »

all_distorted wrote:I haven't managed to find anything about it in any toolset guide I have or on Bioware forums, so I thought, may be someone here would know;)

So, here is my couple of questions:

1) Books. There is a number of books not with recipes, but with some lore texts which can be found in OC, and I have seen those on our server as well occasionally appearing in the chests. So, my question is this - are those texts manully typed for each book or is there a database for them in the toolset data and texts can be imported?

2) Custom music. If I am trying to make something for a PW and would like custom music to play in an area, for example, something from Mysteries of Wesgate; I know it is possible, but would it also be heard by all the other players?
1) Books... I think each book is manually typed.

2) Yes they can if you release the music to them via HAK or Override folder.
But if they don't have the music, then ye they can't hear it.
IAmDeathComeForThee
Retired Staff
Posts: 1408
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: A couple of questions

Unread post by IAmDeathComeForThee »

And if the music is not from any of the OC then you have to edit it into the ambientmusic.2da using a d2a editor(via the vault) and add the bmu files. Then the other players need to either add the 2da to the override or it needs to be placed into a hak which they also must have. The bmu's go into the music file.

Here is a detailed tutorial on how to properly do it.
http://s.vnfiles.ign.com/nwvault.ign.co ... _Guide.pdf
:)



Oh, and I dont know how to edit new books if that's what you're getting at or how to add em into an area. Maybe someone here knows more. I think some of the ones in this PW are custom... ? Try clicking a book's properties and see if there are any book/text options for a book peaceable.
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
User avatar
all_distorted
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Unread post by all_distorted »

And my next couple of questions:

1) I'm trying to make an interior area, which has fountains in it. Problem is when I started to tinker with light, I turned off directional light in the area properties. With that water layers simply disappeared and wouldn't show any more. However, when I load the module in game water is there, just not in the toolset. Is there any way to fix it may be?

2) I can't figure out how to make a transition between two interior areas, so that it wouldn't be exact transition with loading another area, but something like in the Istari Tower, where upon entering a door, it just teleports you to another level.

Thanks in advance if anyone would be able to help me out with this;)
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Unread post by Luna »

There is a water button in the group of buttons on the top of the toolset.
Any chance you turned water off?
You can turn water, fog, and other events on and off in the toolset.


Also, for your 2nd problem, try this guide.
It has how to make an area transition, and lot of other stuff for beginners.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=14


And lastly, maybe poke around the tutorial section of NWN2 vault.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Tutorials.List
User avatar
all_distorted
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Unread post by all_distorted »

Luna wrote:There is a water button in the group of buttons on the top of the toolset.
Any chance you turned water off?.
That's exactly what happened, somehow >_>

Thanks!
c2k
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Unread post by c2k »

DeathComeForThee wrote:
Here is a detailed tutorial on how to properly do it.
http://s.vnfiles.ign.com/nwvault.ign.co ... _Guide.pdf
:)


http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=15
And if you don't have Java:
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

While not as good as Textpad(since Textpad can do so much), this is an alternative and may be easier to use for 2da editing.
Leaf_Smoker
Retired Staff
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Unread post by Leaf_Smoker »

The books are linked by a ref number to a line in the dialog.tlk file. Look in the properties of the book object to find the ref number and then you can edit the lines in the talk file to make the book say what you want it to.
Luna wrote:Maybe leaf can do it...
His job is to do what he wants to do to make the PW better...
User avatar
all_distorted
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Unread post by all_distorted »

And another question from me, this time about haks from Mysteries of Westgate which can be found here. I'm trying to open ones with placeables and sewers tileset, but for some reason can't get them to show. And when they I load showcase module, they aren't displayed there either. Perhaps someone had a look at those and could tell me how to open them in the toolset?
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Unread post by Luna »

I tried the placable real quick.
Seems ok for me.

Make sure you put the 2DA in /override
The HAK in /hak.

And then the little test module that came with the placables download worked fine.
I can see everything.

If you want to use any of that stuff for BG.. please let me know offline.
User avatar
all_distorted
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: A couple of questions

Unread post by all_distorted »

Oh, didn't put all 2DA's in there. Seems to work now, thanks :)

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”