Clarification on Deities Wiki statement requested.

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Unka_Oogie
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:53 am

Clarification on Deities Wiki statement requested.

Unread post by Unka_Oogie »

I'm looking for a "place" to play NWN2 online. BGTSCC looks pretty good, but then I started reading in the Wiki. When I got to "Deity Information" (http://bgtscc.wikia.com/wiki/Deity_Information), it says quite early "Please roleplay according to your God and his dogma. There are many ways of doing this - praying, trying to convert people, mentioning his or her name as you heal ( or destroy )."

What if I'm not playing a priest type character? Is BGTSCC a world covered in religious fanatics and nothing else? Is it simply not possible to have, for example, a fighter who is NG. He worships "the gods" and isn't so dedicated as to have a SINGLE god. Under certain circumstances, he might call out to a specific god or another, but he isn't some sort of religious devotee who has sworn his life to one god only. He's all about Waukeen when he's looking for a good trade deal, Tyr when he's in a tough fight, Lathander when he needs a little go-go-go in the morning, etc. He's just a guy.

Or how about a wizard or bard who are happy to honor Mystra and Azuth when it comes to spells, but just don't spend their lives being one god's devoted servant?

I guess what I'm asking is if this world recognizes a pagan consciousness or just uses Christian/Muslim-style ideas to have a bunch of parallel monotheisms?
DM Narshe
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am

Re: Clarification on Deities Wiki statement requested.

Unread post by DM Narshe »

I think Greek theology is more apt analogy.

Your character doesn't have to worship a deity. Divine casters are pretty much required to pick one, but they're not always fanatics.

The population of Toril generally worships multiple deities ranging from lipservice to genuine reverence. This is either done to avoid negative aspects or to wish for bountiful harvests, etc.

There is also the ever present fear of being "faithless" and being cast to the Wall of the Faithless once judged. Those who remain entirely faithless are usually the ones who disbelieve that the Wall of the Faithless even exists.

I'm sure others will comment with more. ;)
I just didn't want this to go unanswered for long.
NegInfinity
Posts: 2449
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Clarification on Deities Wiki statement requested.

Unread post by NegInfinity »

Unka_Oogie wrote: Or how about a wizard or bard who are happy to honor Mystra and Azuth when it comes to spells, but just don't spend their lives being one god's devoted servant?

I guess what I'm asking is if this world recognizes a pagan consciousness or just uses Christian/Muslim-style ideas to have a bunch of parallel monotheisms?
Devoted servants are priests, paladins, monks. (divine champions, favored souls (in some circumstances), blackguards...). Those actually serve their deity.

You are not obliged to worship a god and can be faithless, worshipping no one. However, it is somewhat arrogant stance, and there are consequences (the wall), of which your character might not be aware. The thing is, in faerun gods are real. They answer prayers, display their power openly, and affect mortal's world (when they feel like it). Their existence is very obvious, and it takes extremely stubborn person to doubt it.

As for roleplaying dogma.... your character likes some things, and is very likely to chose to worship a deity with similar interests. For example, a hedonist is very likely to worship sharess. Arrogant power-hungry type might worship kossuth, or bane. As long as you act according dogma, leave offerings from time to time, visit temples, and occasionally pray, you should be mostly fine (meaning you won't end up on the wall). You don't have to take it to extremes, and it isn't quite life of service.

Please keep in mind that while you can honor multiple deities, it is generally a good idea to honor one specific deity the most. However if fate of your character in the afterlife doesn't matter to you, you could simply go with faithless route.

Return to “Questions for DMs”