Thanks so much for your help
New Player
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Lyris
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:22 pm
New Player
Hello. I've played the majority of D&D related games, and have had some tabletop experience in this setting as well. However, this has only given me a very mild knowledge of setting lore. I've been reading up on certain areas and aspects, trying to make a back story for my character. However, it's all a bit... overwhelming. It's just so much. My question is basically: Where should I start? What is necessary knowledge? What lore and areas should I educate myself on mostly to start with?
Thanks so much for your help
Thanks so much for your help
-
DM Eurydice
- Posts: 292
- Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:54 am
- Location: Hades
Re: New Player
Hello Lyris,
and welcome to BGTSCC, we hope you'll find your time enjoyable here.
I do think you could get a lot of good advice from our community if you posted the question to them, but I'll try to help you to the best extent of my knowledge with links and the like.
For local lore pertaining to the server and timeline we're currently playing, I'll advise you look here: http://bgtscc.net/viewforum.php?f=13
The year of our server is 1350, with a time ratio of 1:1 - be aware of that when reading through links from external sites as some things haven't occurred yet, like Time of Troubles.
For creating a character, you'll need to pick where your character is from - here's two interactive maps that can help with some basic knowledge of Faerûn:
Political Map of Faerùn - West
Political Map of Faerùn - East
Realmshelp generally have some good advice for character creation and deities.
If you'd like help making a good build, I can recommend checking out www.nwn2db.com, which will allow you to generate builds and publicize them so others on this forum can comment on them and offer suggestions for improvement.
I hope that helped answer some of your questions. Again, welcome to BGTSCC, we hope you'll enjoy your stay here and help enrich the environment with your RP
DM Eurydice
and welcome to BGTSCC, we hope you'll find your time enjoyable here.
I do think you could get a lot of good advice from our community if you posted the question to them, but I'll try to help you to the best extent of my knowledge with links and the like.
For local lore pertaining to the server and timeline we're currently playing, I'll advise you look here: http://bgtscc.net/viewforum.php?f=13
The year of our server is 1350, with a time ratio of 1:1 - be aware of that when reading through links from external sites as some things haven't occurred yet, like Time of Troubles.
For creating a character, you'll need to pick where your character is from - here's two interactive maps that can help with some basic knowledge of Faerûn:
Political Map of Faerùn - West
Political Map of Faerùn - East
Realmshelp generally have some good advice for character creation and deities.
If you'd like help making a good build, I can recommend checking out www.nwn2db.com, which will allow you to generate builds and publicize them so others on this forum can comment on them and offer suggestions for improvement.
I hope that helped answer some of your questions. Again, welcome to BGTSCC, we hope you'll enjoy your stay here and help enrich the environment with your RP
DM Eurydice
-----------------------------------------
DM Eurydice - Those who play with the devil's toys, will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.
- The Server Rules (MUST READ)
- PVP Rules and Guidelines (MUST READ)
- Courtesy on The Sword Coast (recommended)
DM Eurydice - Those who play with the devil's toys, will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.
- The Server Rules (MUST READ)
- PVP Rules and Guidelines (MUST READ)
- Courtesy on The Sword Coast (recommended)
-
Lyris
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:22 pm
Re: New Player
Thanks so much for the reply 
One more quick question. Two of my friends plan on joining me. Could we role our characters with stories in relation to one another? As in, could we already know each other at character creation?
One more quick question. Two of my friends plan on joining me. Could we role our characters with stories in relation to one another? As in, could we already know each other at character creation?
-
DM Narshe
- Posts: 1227
- Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am
Re: New Player
Yes that's fine. Many players have formed characters sharing a backstory. Some are brothers, sisters, twins, comrades, etc.
If your friends are sharing a router with you we do have some provisions to help ensure server stability.
If this applies to you, see this thread for details. http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7
If your friends are sharing a router with you we do have some provisions to help ensure server stability.
If this applies to you, see this thread for details. http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7
-
DM Nilbog
- Posts: 1659
- Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:54 pm
Re: New Player
My only bit of advice is when making the backstory keep it simple the more complex you make it the more you put yourself in a corner rp wise till you figure out where you fit. Also try to avoid the mistake some make with trying to do all these epic things in the background before you become level 1 hard to live up to.
-
Lyris
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:22 pm
Re: New Player
Thanks guys
Sorry for the delayed reply.
One more thing. I'm working on a bio to post to the forum. Is there any way to copy past it to my character bio in game?
Sorry for the delayed reply.
One more thing. I'm working on a bio to post to the forum. Is there any way to copy past it to my character bio in game?
-
DM Narshe
- Posts: 1227
- Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am
Re: New Player
Most ingame bios are much shorter. Usually only a physical description of what someone would see as well, nothing about backstory and such.
-
Nomster
- Posts: 1941
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 pm
Re: New Player
A good tip is to put your game into windowed mode and then place your character description that you wrote on a word program next to the game screen. Pick a smaller resolution for the game so that you can see both of them side-by-side. Then type away!
"I don't want to pretend at magic anymore. I want to be magic."
Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress & priestess of Mystra. [Retired]
Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress & priestess of Mystra. [Retired]