First character, questions regarding RP standards here

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Veshnakar
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:20 pm

First character, questions regarding RP standards here

Unread post by Veshnakar »

A lot of questions so please bear with me.

So for my first character I was considering doing a Sorcerer/Blood Magus human that has Yuan-Ti blood (represented by Snake Blood background feat), possibly the offspring of a Tainted One and a Yuan-Ti Pureblood working as a spy for the Yuan-Ti within Faerun? Ideas still in development until I know I can do it.

I am huge into RP and this server is incredibly exciting for me, however would it be possible to have my diety changed to Sseth (I think he already exists in the original game) rather than having to choose No Diety if I can make sufficient enough backstory for my character to represent it?

Also, regarding some of the RP canon standards on this server, but I noticed the class description says that the class is essentially auto consent but as a blood magus is it possible to keep my identity somewhat concealed to avoid unwanted PVP engagements until I am "outted" IE only using blood magic secretly or using a spike ring to draw blood as I did in pnp to avoid drawing suspicion from my party members and other adventurers? Obviously some of the being cast like bloodseeking, bloodwalk, or awaken blood would be very open acknowledgement, but what about the passive abilities, or even the basic Blood Component ability.

Also, is a Red Wizard Blood Magus unheard of on here? The Thayan wizards deal with Blood Magi often, and I know it's not openly spoken of AFAIK but I have read that they do exist but are basically outcasts living on the fringes of society.

Thanks in advance,
DM Narshe
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am

Re: First character, questions regarding RP standards here

Unread post by DM Narshe »

Snake Blood feat for a bit of Yuan-Ti heritage is fine, but you'd be better off having a grandparent or great grandparent who was a Yuan-Ti instead. It's a watered down lineage because Yuan-Ti breeds rather strong traits and we won't be representing any half-Yuan-Ti here without introducing a whole new race. The race has been suggested half a dozen times and always shot down, but you're welcome to refresh that campaign if you so choose.

I don't think Sseth exists ingame but stranger things have been approved as far as deities. We'll have to see the backstory and some discussion back and forth about it, but it's probably doable. The DM team here tries to stick to Lore as much as possible, and we're willing to help players fit their goals.

Blood Magus is a very common class and hasn't caused too much PVP upset. It is noticeable but also disguisable as well. You should keep in mind that if you RP it, it will draw attention to it. Not saying that is a bad thing, just that you should be expecting other players to react to what you roleplay, regardless of the circumstance.

Some of our players might post with regard to which Blood Magus abilities they've used and noticed increased attention. I would think the ones you listed as indeed being high profile.

Red Wizard/Blood Magus is fairly common. The Red Wizards as a faction have periods of high activity and population and periods of practical hibernation. I believe they're just about to wake up again...
Veshnakar
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: First character, questions regarding RP standards here

Unread post by Veshnakar »

I appreciate the reply! And many thanks for the suggestions. Still working on the back story as current.

Distant ancestor sounds good enough for me then. Don't know why everyone is opposed to Purebloods here though when there are already Drow and Grey Orcs. Hmm, I mean if people think they are too powerful then they could be adjusted like the Svirfneblin. Don't intend to fight a losing battle against the populous just to play the character I want though... but thanks for the ideas again!

Return to “Questions for DMs”