What happens in Amn if my character is dragged to the authorities with the crime of summoning devils/demons/undead?
Let's say I'm helping the good people of Nashkell with their giant problem outside the walls, and I employ some infernal and undead aid. So will the Nashkell guards or the local officials have a problem with me, helping them against the giants with a raised vampire and a bound devil outside their city gates?
I would have the Amnian magic licence and leave the summoned fiends outside the town and away from the guards.
And while we're on the topic; What happens if by commes a Honest Joe the 20th level Holy Person and murders me on the spot, in plain view of the Nashkell guard, who are surely stationed on the town walls. Will Honest Joe have to answer for his murder or does he get a free pass?
What happens in Amn if...
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Slunko
- Posts: 243
- Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:23 pm
-
DM Novus
- Posts: 2318
- Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:54 pm
Re: What happens in Amn if...
The Laws of the Land for Nashkel and Amn-claimed territories is on the list of things to do.
But as to your question: you will need to ask the Guards, or officials of Nashkel. But in general, acts outside the town walls should be free of Amnian City Laws. Until they are not.
It would be easy for Amn to claim they "own" the lands of the Frost Giant King...but tell that to the King, and see his reaction.
But as to your question: you will need to ask the Guards, or officials of Nashkel. But in general, acts outside the town walls should be free of Amnian City Laws. Until they are not.
It would be easy for Amn to claim they "own" the lands of the Frost Giant King...but tell that to the King, and see his reaction.
The most important post you will ever read:
THE LAWS OF THE LANDS (IC)
THE LAWS OF THE LANDS (IC)
-
DM Nephilim
- Posts: 789
- Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:57 pm
Re: What happens in Amn if...
I was asked about this on Skype this morning, and told the ADM to have the user post this question to the DMs via the forums as my knowledge of Amnian law is not the greatest. My advice was that anything done out of the sight of NPC guards would probably be ok, but it would still open him up to PvP from other players. As far as being dragged to the city guards, I said the DMs are trying to get out of being the police. The worst thing I think would happen might be practicing magic if they do not have a license because the infraction happened outside the city, but not outside of Amn.
Neph
Neph
-
DM Ioulaum
- Posts: 1607
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 am
Re: What happens in Amn if...
As Novus points out this is an issue of Sovereignty and legal jurisdiction. That does not mean however that Amnian law ends at Nashkel's borders. The authorities of most states in the Forgotten Realms give bounties for killing or capturing criminals, for example bandits, even if they are not necessarily hunted down on lands that claimed by the state. Take for example the wilds and frontier regions.
If I were an Amnian Guard confronted by a paladin who has captured a mage summoning demons or devils then my first reaction would be to pass the matter to my superior officer and let him deal with it.
The superior officer at that point can question the mage and the paladin and determine if the mage is a threat, or if there was a good cause for the behaviour, that justifies it. In either case though he is unlikely to just let a mage of such power and behaviour walk freely in Nashkel, and other Amnian lands.
What I as an officer would most likely end up doing is asking the Cowled Wizards to take care of it as they see fit. I pass the problem to my non-official superiors in magical affairs.
And then that mage either does errands for the Cowled Wizards and submits to their authority, fines, and what not, or he is never heard from again. I would consider giving a permanent death strike for it if a player in that situation spurns the Cowled Wizards. It all depends on the circumances however.
My view, I hope it helps
If I were an Amnian Guard confronted by a paladin who has captured a mage summoning demons or devils then my first reaction would be to pass the matter to my superior officer and let him deal with it.
The superior officer at that point can question the mage and the paladin and determine if the mage is a threat, or if there was a good cause for the behaviour, that justifies it. In either case though he is unlikely to just let a mage of such power and behaviour walk freely in Nashkel, and other Amnian lands.
What I as an officer would most likely end up doing is asking the Cowled Wizards to take care of it as they see fit. I pass the problem to my non-official superiors in magical affairs.
And then that mage either does errands for the Cowled Wizards and submits to their authority, fines, and what not, or he is never heard from again. I would consider giving a permanent death strike for it if a player in that situation spurns the Cowled Wizards. It all depends on the circumances however.
My view, I hope it helps