Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Yawgnor
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA

Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by Yawgnor »

Is it possible to have a DM boost an Enchantment Bonus of a specific weapon after a custom quest is completed?

Why I'm asking this, and am hoping the question even makes sense, is that there are no epic warhammers. There are +4 weapons of just about every other type, if you look hard enough; but no warhammers. So this means that Jorn is stuck with a mid-level (+2) weapon forever.

If the stats can be changed, and I could talk one of you wonderful, and might I say... handsome, DMs into having me finish some sort of quest, would this even be allowed?

In case nobody remembers my character, Jorn has made it to level 30 once already, with the same mid-level hammer he has now. And he's doing it once more from level 20 (needed to RCR to take advantage of feats that were added after he made it to 30, and also so he can experience the fear of a possible death in the new areas).

Anyways, if this could be done, is there a DM willing to work with me? And if not, I'll just have to continue with Jorn's beloved hammer as is. :)
Jorn (the Hideous) Odgerson
mireigi
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by mireigi »

There are both +3 Warhammers and +4 Warhammers out there. There are even +4 Warhammers with +1d6 Electricity damage and 20% Electricity Immunity. Problem is that they're very rare probably too rare compared to other weapons.
Fhaeo'Lingi Mriht'Ess - Akh'Aegis of EDE
Tolan Faeglin - Morninglord of Lathander
Phar Anlith - Mercenary, Tracker, Information Broker
Adoros Battleheart - Ungraceful battlerager
Cain Gellantara - Knight Champion of Tempus
Davvry - Sneaks
Yawgnor
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by Yawgnor »

Okay, I get that. What I'd really like is Jorn's warhammer's EC raised. I suppose that after 3 real-life years of playing him, not including the last 2 year hiatus, that I've come to think of his hammer, with it's Electric Damage and Stun on Hit, as almost his trademark. That's why I wanted an appropriate quest for such a reward, if it was possible in the first place.

If I cannot have that hammer's EC raised, I'll do without the boost. It would be disappointing, but not the end of the world.
Jorn (the Hideous) Odgerson
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by Luna »

I don't think they do.
Those type of things would be a bit complex to fairly facilitate.
Yawgnor
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by Yawgnor »

*nods* Okay.
Jorn (the Hideous) Odgerson
NegInfinity
Posts: 2449
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by NegInfinity »

It would be nice if DM team figured out some kind of rules for this kind of requests, though, and allowed them.

For example, unique weapon could've been made cursed, non-transferrable and restricted only to this character. (meaning, if you retire char or rcr char, you'll lose the weapon).

Case in point: I've been looking for flaming short swords since february. (just need vfx). Those don't exist. At all. However, short swords with SONIC damage that otherwise have everything I need are available on sale.

I also saw someone run around with flaming club (or mace or morningstar - not sure), and when I asked about it, I was told that it was granted by dm in random epic event :-\.

There's also unusual shortage of silver and cold iron weapons that are unexpectedly difficult to obtain. Talking about mundane stuff. Took 3 months of abusing loot drop system for me to get silver falchion (mundane), and 2 more months to find cold iron falchion with minor bonus. Apparently I also couldn't pay 50k gold to blacksmith to forge me that MUNDANE weapon, because that would be unbalanced. (the price for mundane coldiron/silver falchion is less than 600 gold, so ANY blacksmith in the realm would gladly accept order from lunatic willing to overpay that much for mundane weapon).

I have impression that by avoiding infrequent requests for unusual weapons, you're missing opportunities to introduce fun and run short fun events. I mean... if a char is looking for rare sword, he/she can hear a rumor about that sword existing, start following the rumor, get into story/trouble/whatever, fight someone (or die horribly, for real), and get no sword after this all. It is a decent plot hook, as good as anything else.
Storm Munin
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:03 am
Location: Sweden, Alfheimar expat

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by Storm Munin »

"Drojal zhah obdoluth dorb'd streeak, Lueth dro zhah zhaunau dorb'd ogglin."
"Existence is empty without chaos, Life is boring without enemies." So sayeth Lady Lolth, Queen of Chaos.

PC: Natalya, wandering enchantress.
Yawgnor
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by Yawgnor »

No.
Jorn (the Hideous) Odgerson
User avatar
Calodan
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm
Location: Missoula Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by Calodan »

Some things like Custom Appearance take some pretty in depth stuff to do. However the weapons are easy to craft and make personalized in the Builder. If you are not looking for a custom skin from the weapon then the normal skins can be made to have the proper EB and other stuff you like. Perhaps it is time we as players learn to set up files for this so Luna and the Devs can put them in for us? I could easily make an Epic Warhammer in the builder with the feats you would like on them. If you could send me a PM with your perfect world hammer that is within the DM rules I may be able to craft it in the builder and play learn how to set up the file for transfer to the server? I do not have all the stuff the Devs and builders have but I am pretty sure I could play around with weapons on the builder as I have done it in the past. Both NWN1 and NWN2. Customization of your character is more than half the fun and we are being railroaded on this at many junctures. I am on daily and really I have time to do small things like this but not the big stuff like custom skins of things and changing the actual graphics and creating new ones, but I can play with the current system they give us and do some things. I am pretty sure pulling the file and giving it to the Devs can be done fairly easily. Luna? Anyone? Can you comment on this and let me know why this is not a more active policy for custom weapons within the balance rules?

One other question for grins and giggles. Can I make a spear with RUIN on it? Like Nature's Ruin, Death's Ruin and or Builder's Ruin? These feats which Obsidian only put on a couple of Rapiers IG on the OC but are available to put on them in the builder. They are supposed to allow for Critical hits on their respective RUIN describer. So Death's Ruin allows for Undead to be Critically hit. The RUIN feat actually makes a weapon master more viable IG for any server any campaign. I was told that this feat does not exist on this server but that would mean the builders would have had to gone in and removed it from the game but I am having a hard time believing that was done as some of the stuff is notoriously hard to remove. Although I am pretty sure Feats are not hard coded. So this is pretty doable if they are not hard coded into the game.

Neginfinity-You seem more adept than I at some of the stuff can you not just make your swords in the builder and clean them up for installment on the server? I know the DM's are loathe to allow these things but shutting us down completely on this to me a pretty big screw you. If players are willing to take the time and make the file right and within the rules why stop us as long as we go through all the right channels and follow the rules? I fully understand the devs and builders are busy. So the logical answer would be to let the players create these things on their own time and then utilize the staff to make it fit SERVER LORE. This is called COMPROMISE and is the sign of an educated conversation and society.

Lastly I would like to say THANK YOU!!!! All to the server team and players. We all have very differing opinion but lately I have seen many, many come together and work on many things that the DM team is discussing already. Can we get yet another discussion on this issue of custom gear? I would also humbly request an actual write up of item balance rules to go over and really know as the player. As it is the whole ruling is very super secret and few of us newer players really understand what they are thus giving the DM team the ability to change the rule at anytime. It is my understanding that this server is Player supported and that means we give money to keep it running so to me this rule should be well known and posted for us to read. This also means it should be up for change supposing the player base supports it as we are the ones giving time and money just like the Devs and Builders and DM's. We all give something here and as such we all have voices. I am not saying it is a unfair rule I am just saying it is a flawed rule due to us not being able to understand it as players and or create things within the ruling either. We are being stonewalled and that is just not cool in my opinion.

Peace Be The Journey. Bit of a rant but I hope it is productive and opens up some real conversation on this subject!
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
User avatar
Lockonnow
Posts: 3122
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by Lockonnow »

well there many way to do so i ones been with a head dm event my Warrior join the priest guild of Gond and the priest enchanting my sword to golem 1d4 dmg but stil think it will be better if a weapon can cast spell then have complete elemental dmg couse it vil make it easy but more fantasy whan a weapon cast a spell like if there is a spirit in side of the weapon that wish to be release
DM Novus
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by DM Novus »

The short of it is that, if one Player receives a custom item Quest, then every Player will clamour for a custom item Quest.

There are only so many DMs, and by the time we fairly answered all the requests equally...well, that might never actually reach an end point.

I think you will find that Players that invest and partake in Events by DMs, as well as create their own Storylines, earn rewards. That maybe realized as Experience Points, or a thing, or maybe simply the satisfaction of seeing their actions "brought to life" by a helpful DM.

The Server is a Voluntary community, of Players and DMs. There is no tit-for-tat, and no "I donated XX money so there, I deserve cool stuff." The balance that is upheld—at least in the recent years—is to maintain that some Players are not given special Items that would place other Players at a disadvantage. Or, Items that would allow a Build to be exceptionally strong against all other Builds, so that the DMs end up facilitating a Player on the warpath of griefing all other Players with the most poetic of all confrontational Role-play to initiate PvP: "Leave or die." And with actually having Items to force "losing" onto another. Not cool.

Yes, from a Player perspective—and mind you, I have one as well—it seems harmless to request getting a warhammer +2 made into a warhammer +3. And there IS NOTHING preventing that from happening, should a DM deem your PC's participation in a Storyline to allow that increase to happen, both from an in-character perspective, as well as an OOC reward. But you must allow for this to come naturally, or not at all.

Some Characters never receive the things they desire, in this world they inhabit. That is just part of their Role-played life. Players not receiving things they deserve? That is a whole other issue, and I suggest you work towards and let Role-play dictate the experience of the game, instead of relying on OOC manipulations to get what you want. That is were balance really gets lost, on this Server.
The most important post you will ever read:

THE LAWS OF THE LANDS (IC)
User avatar
Calodan
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm
Location: Missoula Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY

Re: Quest for Epic Weapon Possiblity Question

Unread post by Calodan »

Perhaps I was a little misunderstood? I fully endorse the RP way this server is set up. I have no intentions to manipulate the system. I was merely asking questions. I was not saying that donations equate items. That would be ludicrous. I was saying that in the end shouldn't the player base hold some power concerning this as a whole? Not individually. Either way. I get why things are the way they are within the rules. I am asking that they be clear and concise when it comes to items requested. I am also fully aware that requested items can take some time to get. Year or even years of RP to get them. That is supposing your character lives that long anyway! Thanks again Novus for your excellent viewpoint. I apologize if my post came off a little rude that was totally not my intention at all. Once again thanks to all you do DM's and everyone. :oops:
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer

Return to “Questions for DMs”