Why is the "universal" Paladin Code enforced?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
Thorsson
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: Why is the "universal" Paladin Code enforced?

Unread post by Thorsson »

I think we almost have a summation now - "There is a lot of leeway, but there are limits". Without those limits you don't have a Paladin.
Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it
Cel'Daren
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 am

Re: Why is the "universal" Paladin Code enforced?

Unread post by Cel'Daren »

@ Ioulaum

I can see the communication breakdown between us. Compromise has more than one meaning. You have consistently used the following definition of compromise:
Google Definitions wrote:"accept standards that are lower than is desirable."
I believe the definition used in RK's Dogma is this one:
"settle a dispute by mutual concession in a manner that all parties find acceptable." (Personal Addendum bolded, although I think it's implied in the base definition.)
If a Paladin must come to a compromise in order to defeat evil, that should not compromise their Code of Conduct. A Paladin should automatically seek a compromise that doesn't compromise their beliefs, because that is unacceptable to them. (Gotta love the english language)

Basically. You thought I zigged, but I zagged. At no point was the intention ever to just throw away the CoC over one of its tenants. Although I see now that I should have put that little "unless it violates this Code of Conduct" tag on the end of it like I did a couple of other tenants...

Anyway. Problem solved? I think. The end result is that I can come up with a personal Code of Conduct, I just need to come up with a Code of Conduct that is more comprehensive, so that there can be no misinterpretation of the tenants. If so I'll eventually PM it to staff later once I've completed it.
DM Dialectic
Posts: 6235
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: Why is the "universal" Paladin Code enforced?

Unread post by DM Dialectic »

To add a bit more info to DM Iou's excellent post on paladin code, some Forgotten Realms lore definitions of terms that Iou used, namely "good" and "evil":
“Good” implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the
dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices
to help others.

“Evil” implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil
creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without
qualms if doing so is convenient. Others actively pursue evil, killing
for sport or out of duty to some evil deity or master.


(PHB 3.5 Page 104)
Being good requires a certain quality of temperament, the
presence of virtues that spur a character, not just to avoid evil
or its appearance, but to actively promote good. As expressed
in the Player’s Handbook, “‘Good’ implies altruism, respect for
life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good
characters make personal sacrifices to help others.”
Good is not nice, polite, well mannered, prudish, self-righteous,
or naïve, though good-aligned characters might be some
of those things. Good is the awesome holy energy that radiates
from the celestial planes and crushes evil. Good is selfless, just,
hopeful, benevolent, and righteous.


(BOED Page 5)

Return to “Questions for DMs”