Rping classes for an elf as a certain concept

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

guantanamobayxx
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:36 pm
Location: Hudson, FL

Rping classes for an elf as a certain concept

Unread post by guantanamobayxx »

Hi there! I'm currently building an elf in the 'bladesinger' style, and while the class isn't available, her build emulates it perfectly, I was wondering if it would be acceptable to RP her as a bladesinger since they do infact exist in lore in this setting?

Also, as an aside: I know suggestions belong in the suggestion forum, but this somewhat ties into what I'm saying, the bladesinger class itself isn't SUPER OP and I think it would be a great addition for the elven lore of the server and the Doron Amar elves for their RP as bladesingers are a very important aspect of the elven culture.

Either way I was just wondering even if the class itself isn't implemented, since I have the necessary classes and skills to justify roleplaying one, if that would be an acceptable thing to do ('Cause I'm a stickler for RPing my classes). Thank you :)
kellendril
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Rping classes for an elf as a certain concept

Unread post by kellendril »

I think I remember seeing another elf RPed as a bladesinger once. I would wait until the DMs rule though, just to be safe.
Eowiel Le'liana - Formerly Respected Councilor/Citizen of Doron Amar, now Disrespected Free Agent
Merry Angalagaleil - Strongheart Halfling Sacred Fist
DM Narshe
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am

Re: Rping classes for an elf as a certain concept

Unread post by DM Narshe »

Kaedrin's interpretation of the class is quite powerful, especially in combination with some of the other options.

The standby rule is that you should roleplay your character sheet. Since the class doesn't exist here then you'll not quite be a "bladesinger". However, your character can introduce and describe their style of combat however they wish.

As for the lore associated with being a Bladesinger, we can't simply say that you can emulate Kaedrin's interpretation of the class and inherit the lore of it universally. You can campaign to acquire that kind of role within our own elven communities if you wish, as a genuine Bladesinger would have done when they began adventuring.
guantanamobayxx
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:36 pm
Location: Hudson, FL

Re: Rping classes for an elf as a certain concept

Unread post by guantanamobayxx »

The difficult problem with this is that she's already nearing her fourth hundreth year, so she didn't just 'start' adventuring, -one of the many issues of roleplaying elven lore no matter what level you are -, and that the lore -is- in the game whether the class isn't, it's not Kaedrin's lore that matters but DnD source. For now, can I at least say she was trained in that style by her father, who was indeed a bladesinger?

Return to “Questions for DMs”