Pvp Aftermath

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

maulofthetitans55
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Pvp Aftermath

Unread post by maulofthetitans55 »

Hello,

I've been running into quite a few situations where both parties are confused after pvp(including the DM). I'm trying to operate under these guidelines: http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3170

The Pvp aftermath section seems incredibly vague and could really use an update imo. For instance: if someone attacks me and I win, then I choose to knock them out, can they still just stand up and run off ignoring all RP consequences for their actions?

What rules are players bound to if you choose to knock them out? How long after a pvp victor is decided before the 24 hour rule takes place? I could choose to knock someone out, interrogate them, then kill them anyways but it's unclear whether this violates the 24 hour rule or not.

When people defeat me I've been assuming that I'm at their mercy and have been RP'ing the consequences of my loss but I'm running into alot of players that aren't extending the same courtesy. Many players seem to acting in a way where there is zero RP accountability for their actions and I believe part of that is due to the vagueness of the aftermath section.

Any clarification on the above scenarios is much appreciated.

Thanks
Considerate_
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 am

Re: Pvp Aftermath

Unread post by Considerate_ »

Hello there Maulofthetitans,

I'd like to answer your questions based on my own experience on the server.

What rules are players bound to if you choose to knock them out?
- The short answer is: The 24 hour rule. Other than that you are not entitled to force players characters into something that their players OOCly do not want - such as captivity, losing limbs, body parts or getting a permanent scar.

If you want to have some lasting/meaningful PvP, on the few occasions I've done it, it helped me a lot to talk with the player OOCly about what I'd like to achieve with my PvP before I do it. That way, we're all on the same page when the IG fighting starts.

Most players will, in my experience, make use of the RP out if they're not interested in PvP.



How long after a pvp victor is decided before the 24 hour rule takes place?
- The counter starts from the approximate moment you've downed them. I don't think it was ever meant as a 1440 minutes timer that's set at the specific time you did the knockout. It's more to prevent the ridicules retaliation RP where two immortal characters kill each other 5 times a day. If someone 'only' waits 1430 minutes, I don't think it will be cracked down on harshly ;)

I could choose to knock someone out, interrogate them, then kill them anyways but it's unclear whether this violates the 24 hour rule or not.
- It does not, as long as the player OOCly consents. You can't force his player character to endure a lengthy interrogation if he doesn't want to.




All of the above being said, my experience with the playerbase of BGTSCC have been quite different than yours. The few times I've engaged in PvP, I've been met with a willingness from the players to go beyond what I could strictly force them to.

All I can suggest is communication OOCly. Find out what they're interested in and how this could work for the both of you. Even if you could force their PCs to follow you/RP with you for a time, it would be very unenjoyable and one-sided, if the player behind the screen didn't want to.

You can lead a horse to water... and all that.



I hope that helped you at least somewhat, best of luck out there in your endeavour and I hope you'll spark some interesting and enjoyable RP! :)
Tamara - "I've seen colours you would never dream of"
Neschera - "Logic can bring you from one step to the next, creativity can bring you from anywhere to everywhere"

Return to “Questions for DMs”