I just discovered this website and i am DELIGHTED to see that some spells are better scaled for epic levels. NWN1-2 have HORRIBLE balance due to spellcaster's not having scaling spells, both because of damage and saving throws.
I don't see the info readily available so I want to ask:
What is the level cap? Is it 30? (I hope it's 30, not 40.)
How does conjuration upscale for epic? Are the default spawns upgraded as you level?
How much do spells adjust for epic level's higher saving throws?
Are pure, simple classes viable? IE: Full Wizard, Full Barb, Full Bard, etc.
Are normally "not very useful" classes such as Bard and Ranger modified in some way to make them relevant for epic levels?
Again, From what I've seen, y'alls server is SO MUCH BETTER than everything else.
I have not played nwn1-2 in many years precisely due to the balance problems and not wating to deal with "making the right build" and "not screwing up my character."
I prefer simple, enjoyable adventures without having to worry about every single detail of stats, feats, abilities, etc, as it saps the fun for me.
Can I recruit AI companions in order to play solo? I can't meet with people in the server and regularly schedule play times.
I eagerly await your replies as I search through moving boxes for my disks.
Spell Scaling, Epic levels, etc
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
DM Ioulaum
- Posts: 1607
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 am
Re: Spell Scaling, Epic levels, etc
Hi there. 
In answer to your questions,
1. Characters can level up all the way to level 30, the way supported by standard D&D.
2. A number of summoning spells scale, but not all the way to the epic levels. I understand from Rasael and our Q-C Team that the spellcasting overhaul introduces flexible scaling of all summoning spells. However spells are still capped to certain level ranges in so far as they scale. Higher level spells conceivably scale into the epic levels - but I haven't seen this first hand. Clarification: The Q-C Team is our team of quality testers, they test new features before they are rolled out on the server. The overhaul is not definitive, they are still working on it, and I don't know if the staff leadership is on-board to implement it.
3. Some spells scale and provide different effects based on the saving throw result. Normally spells do not adjust to opponents' saving throws. Instead the caster raises his DC points by investing in spell power or by getting epic casterlevels. Each three casterlevels over 20 add 1 point extra spell DC, against which an opponent rolls his saving throw.
4. Bards are a very useful class. Rangers have full casterlevel progression (instead of half) on BGTSCC, and also enjoy a greatly expanded spell and feat selection compared with stock NWN2. I have been told by our Q-C Team that this is expanded upon in the upcoming overhaul with more new spells and feats, as well as potentially 4 extra casterlevels upon reaching 4th level, so that instead of 26 you have a full 30 casterlevels. The same for Paladins. Again: I haven't seen this first hand, and the overhaul is not definitive. The Q-C Team is our team of quality testers, they test new features before they are rolled out on the server.
5. Single class characters are entirely viable. A portion of players prefers to deck out their characters as effectively as they can imagine, both with equipment and with level-up choices. A single class fighter, bard, or wizard (or anything) can play and enjoy BGTSCC just fine. Your roleplay is not significantly effected by how strong you are mechanically. Instead it matters what you roleplay doing, with who you roleplay, and whether you are consistent and are willing to devote time to it (reasonably of course, it's a game, not a job). You may find powerbuilding fun but its the roleplay that keeps us all here and keeps us coming back.
6. There are currently no AI companions. It is encouraged to find other people to play with and join other groups that happen to be around. There are a number of reasons for the absence of AI companions. One is that they are likely to cause lag, are resource intensive for the server, the other is that we want to encourage social interaction and roleplay.
7. It is viable to level up a character through roleplay experience gains alone if you have the patience for it. Combat is an optional part of BGTSCC, but it is a part of the gameplay most of us find enjoyable. It depends on what you define as "viable". A portion of the player base plays with non-optimized builds.
8. In so far as I know there is epic equipment for all sorts of weapons and armor. BGTSCC has a very well made random item generator. Asides from finding such an item other other players may be willing to trade for it, they could have acquired such a suitable item in the past.
Kind regards,
DM Ioulaum.
In answer to your questions,
1. Characters can level up all the way to level 30, the way supported by standard D&D.
2. A number of summoning spells scale, but not all the way to the epic levels. I understand from Rasael and our Q-C Team that the spellcasting overhaul introduces flexible scaling of all summoning spells. However spells are still capped to certain level ranges in so far as they scale. Higher level spells conceivably scale into the epic levels - but I haven't seen this first hand. Clarification: The Q-C Team is our team of quality testers, they test new features before they are rolled out on the server. The overhaul is not definitive, they are still working on it, and I don't know if the staff leadership is on-board to implement it.
3. Some spells scale and provide different effects based on the saving throw result. Normally spells do not adjust to opponents' saving throws. Instead the caster raises his DC points by investing in spell power or by getting epic casterlevels. Each three casterlevels over 20 add 1 point extra spell DC, against which an opponent rolls his saving throw.
4. Bards are a very useful class. Rangers have full casterlevel progression (instead of half) on BGTSCC, and also enjoy a greatly expanded spell and feat selection compared with stock NWN2. I have been told by our Q-C Team that this is expanded upon in the upcoming overhaul with more new spells and feats, as well as potentially 4 extra casterlevels upon reaching 4th level, so that instead of 26 you have a full 30 casterlevels. The same for Paladins. Again: I haven't seen this first hand, and the overhaul is not definitive. The Q-C Team is our team of quality testers, they test new features before they are rolled out on the server.
5. Single class characters are entirely viable. A portion of players prefers to deck out their characters as effectively as they can imagine, both with equipment and with level-up choices. A single class fighter, bard, or wizard (or anything) can play and enjoy BGTSCC just fine. Your roleplay is not significantly effected by how strong you are mechanically. Instead it matters what you roleplay doing, with who you roleplay, and whether you are consistent and are willing to devote time to it (reasonably of course, it's a game, not a job). You may find powerbuilding fun but its the roleplay that keeps us all here and keeps us coming back.
6. There are currently no AI companions. It is encouraged to find other people to play with and join other groups that happen to be around. There are a number of reasons for the absence of AI companions. One is that they are likely to cause lag, are resource intensive for the server, the other is that we want to encourage social interaction and roleplay.
7. It is viable to level up a character through roleplay experience gains alone if you have the patience for it. Combat is an optional part of BGTSCC, but it is a part of the gameplay most of us find enjoyable. It depends on what you define as "viable". A portion of the player base plays with non-optimized builds.
8. In so far as I know there is epic equipment for all sorts of weapons and armor. BGTSCC has a very well made random item generator. Asides from finding such an item other other players may be willing to trade for it, they could have acquired such a suitable item in the past.
Kind regards,
DM Ioulaum.