Aura of Despair

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

crimsonrain15
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:33 am
Location: Paris IL

Aura of Despair

Unread post by crimsonrain15 »

I'm currently working on a more detailed background for my character and looking into how I should rp since I've been playing more lately. I've been rping my aura of despair as negative energy permeating from my body (more or less), causing those nearby to feel the effects of the aura. I was wondering if this would be allowed, and if not, what I should rp it as?
Considerate_
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 am

Re: Aura of Despair

Unread post by Considerate_ »

Hello Crimsonrain,

I'd recommend you RP it as a malign aura without specifying what it is, as per the feat description in the Dungeon Master Manual 3.5, page 181:
Aura of Despair (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, the blackguard radiates a malign aura that causes enemies within 10 feet of him to take a —2 penalty on all saving throws.
Whether you write Malign or Negative, the effect is the same - though I don't think anyone would come chasing after you, for picking your own variety of the description :)


I suppose you could RP that it affects everyone around him, but that seems to me like you're opening up for a can of worms for your character. If he walks through the streets of any larger settlement and gives everyone the shivers, he'll eventually cross some snotty noble who decides to take offence with it - calling the Fist/City Guard and having them beat him up and toss him out.
(this isn't a modern society, if a member of the nobility takes offence with your character, there won't be a fair trial or conviction)

.. That, or he'll be chased out by a mob of angry peasants, who thinks he's some sort of devil in disguise!
... That, or he'll attract every single goodly adventure within 10 miles to come haunt him down for spreading his influence and using it against the innocent.
... That, or lots and lots of other possibilities that'll make life miserable for your character!




Alternatively, you could just RP it as it say - meaning that it will only affect his enemies. So you either have to be turned hostile or he has to be very angry at a specific person for him/her to feel that malign aura.



That's my thoughts, I hope they helped give some inspiration! :)
Tamara - "I've seen colours you would never dream of"
Neschera - "Logic can bring you from one step to the next, creativity can bring you from anywhere to everywhere"
crimsonrain15
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:33 am
Location: Paris IL

Re: Aura of Despair

Unread post by crimsonrain15 »

Thanks :D That helps narrow things down a bit.

Return to “Questions for DMs”