Is there official list of non-evil (TN, CN, LN) FR deities that create blackguards?
If according to the lore deity creates clerics whose alignment does not match one-step rule (example: kossuth allows LE clerics), does that mean blackguard of that alignment is allowed?
Non-Evil blackguard deities?
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
DM Narshe
- Posts: 1227
- Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am
Re: Non-Evil blackguard deities?
I don't know if any non-evil deities support blackguards... The source book specifically states that they serve "dark deities." 
Blackguards can be any Evil alignment. They are technically divine-based casters and would be subject to the Domain rules if applicable.
Blackguards can be any Evil alignment. They are technically divine-based casters and would be subject to the Domain rules if applicable.
-
NegInfinity
- Posts: 2449
- Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 am
Re: Non-Evil blackguard deities?
Well, there seems to be at least one recorded instance of blackguard of kossuth(and half-fiend one in addition to that) in the lore.DM Narshe wrote:I don't know if any non-evil deities support blackguards... The source book specifically states that they serve "dark deities."
Blackguards can be any Evil alignment. They are technically divine-based casters and would be subject to the Domain rules if applicable.
Generally speaking, non-evil deities allow evil clerics and evil clerics have more power than blackguards.
Just wanted to know if there are server specific rules regarding that.
The main issue is that blackguard pacts requires outsider to act as middleman, which would probably make something like blackguard of silvanus impossible (well, silvanus also doesn't allow evil clerics, so...).
-
Ghost
- DM
- Posts: 7509
- Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:12 pm
Re: Non-Evil blackguard deities?
First of all: Silvanus does indeed allow for Neutral Evil clerics, according to Faiths and Pantheons, page 63.
Onto Blackguards of Neutral gods (don't take this as a ruling, as it's mostly based on speculation and reasoning):
I discussed this with some other DMs not many days ago. There isn't much specific lore on whether the gods approve of blackguards or not, but blackguards have abilities that some of those gods would not support. Such as animating the dead and summoning devils. Helm, who is Lawful Neutral, would for instance not support animating the dead. This would of course also count for Silvanus.
One could at least assume the Lawful Neutral god Hoar would support blackguards. Mystra (who is LN in our time period), Azuth and Savras may also well support blackguards. Likewise, Tempus, the Red Knight and Garagos (I'm unsure whether he is evil or neutral in our time period?) may all support Blackguards.
I can't see any real reason why the four elemental lords won't support Blackguards, but I have no idea at all whether Gond, Oghma and Waukeen would.
I don't think any of the DMs are going to stop you from making a Blackguard of most of these Neutral gods. Unless you see any obvious issues with the god's dogma or history, you're probably good to go!
Onto Blackguards of Neutral gods (don't take this as a ruling, as it's mostly based on speculation and reasoning):
I discussed this with some other DMs not many days ago. There isn't much specific lore on whether the gods approve of blackguards or not, but blackguards have abilities that some of those gods would not support. Such as animating the dead and summoning devils. Helm, who is Lawful Neutral, would for instance not support animating the dead. This would of course also count for Silvanus.
One could at least assume the Lawful Neutral god Hoar would support blackguards. Mystra (who is LN in our time period), Azuth and Savras may also well support blackguards. Likewise, Tempus, the Red Knight and Garagos (I'm unsure whether he is evil or neutral in our time period?) may all support Blackguards.
I can't see any real reason why the four elemental lords won't support Blackguards, but I have no idea at all whether Gond, Oghma and Waukeen would.
I don't think any of the DMs are going to stop you from making a Blackguard of most of these Neutral gods. Unless you see any obvious issues with the god's dogma or history, you're probably good to go!
-
NegInfinity
- Posts: 2449
- Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 am
Re: Non-Evil blackguard deities?
I checked the source, it does allow NE clerics :-\. I suppose there was a typo on website I checked before and I was mistaken.DM Ghost wrote: First of all: Silvanus does indeed allow for Neutral Evil clerics, according to Faiths and Pantheons, page 63.
I would assume that in this case blackguard would not be granted corresponding power and would have to do with smiting, aura of despair, dark blessing, turn undead and poisons. Not having servant summon would hurt the most in pnp (because you can ride devil horse into battle when you have the summon), but probably not in nwn2 and not on bgtscc.DM Ghost wrote:Such as animating the dead and summoning devils. Helm, who is Lawful Neutral, would for instance not support animating the dead.
Alright. I don't have any more questions on the subject right now.DM Ghost wrote: I don't think any of the DMs are going to stop you from making a Blackguard of most of these Neutral gods. Unless you see any obvious issues with the god's dogma or history, you're probably good to go!
Thanks for the responses.