I've been browsing those DM event summaries, and I'm curious about how to find them. Are they scheduled things, or do they just pop up randomly?
Also, is level 5 high enough level to join stuff? I don't want to drag a group down, or force anyone to "babysit" a lowbie.
How do I find events?
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
DM Narshe
- Posts: 1227
- Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am
Re: How do I find events?
Events can be for any level and pretty much anywhere.
Every DM does things differently and events can vary greatly as well.
My advice (and this goes for most people who join the server) is to get in touch with guilds or groups of characters that you like to play with. DMs tend be drawn to crowds of players.
I would also recommend hunting or otherwise being out adventuring. Especially if you're not in a guild where DM events can be more easily arranged.
There's quite a few DMs who avoid the "campfire" areas. Especially the Friendly Arm Inn. If that's the only place players are gathering then they'll look there, but nine times out of ten they'll prioritize players pretty much anywhere else.
Probably a few other people who can offer advice about this.
DMs welcome to chime in with what they look for as well.
It's a good question!
Every DM does things differently and events can vary greatly as well.
My advice (and this goes for most people who join the server) is to get in touch with guilds or groups of characters that you like to play with. DMs tend be drawn to crowds of players.
I would also recommend hunting or otherwise being out adventuring. Especially if you're not in a guild where DM events can be more easily arranged.
There's quite a few DMs who avoid the "campfire" areas. Especially the Friendly Arm Inn. If that's the only place players are gathering then they'll look there, but nine times out of ten they'll prioritize players pretty much anywhere else.
Probably a few other people who can offer advice about this.
DMs welcome to chime in with what they look for as well.
It's a good question!
-
Zanniej
- Posts: 2454
- Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:28 am
- Location: The dark parts of the forum
Re: How do I find events?
I'll chime in from a player's point of view.
As DM Narshe points out, getting in touch with guilds is a good way to get into events, but those are mostly scheduled things, and it might take you some time to actually get into a guild.
The random popping events happen mostly when you're in a group. These can happen anywhere, and at any level. They tend to happen for groups of 3 players or more. Most events that randomly popped up near me happened while I was indeed out adventuring, as Narshe also pointed out. Campfire RP, though fun, are not a great starting place for DM events.
Apart from that, I guess you could just bluntly ask for it, if you've got a good enough idea. But I must admit I've never tried that
Bothcptcuddlepants wrote:Are they scheduled things, or do they just pop up randomly?
The random popping events happen mostly when you're in a group. These can happen anywhere, and at any level. They tend to happen for groups of 3 players or more. Most events that randomly popped up near me happened while I was indeed out adventuring, as Narshe also pointed out. Campfire RP, though fun, are not a great starting place for DM events.
Apart from that, I guess you could just bluntly ask for it, if you've got a good enough idea. But I must admit I've never tried that
Off to greener pastures
-
chad878262
- Posts: 9332
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:55 pm
Re: How do I find events?
Not a DM, but from a player perspective, if you're level 5 and adventuring somewhere between hilltop ruins and the Giberling caves with a decent size group (3-6, maybe) and you're rp'ing, there is a decent chance you will get an event if a dm is online. Sometimes they are busy with other things, but for your level that's the place to be.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE
Tarent's Wands and Elixirs
A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Tarent's Wands and Elixirs
A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
-
DM Echo
- Posts: 471
- Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:36 am
Re: How do I find events?
My own personal experience has also let to this.. It isn't because I am avoiding people at campfires, it is because they are RPing, and I want to let them tell their story, I don't want to be disruptive of their RP.DM Narshe wrote:There's quite a few DMs who avoid the "campfire" areas. Especially the Friendly Arm Inn. If that's the only place players are gathering then they'll look there, but nine times out of ten they'll prioritize players pretty much anywhere else.
DM events can be very rewarding, especially for lower levels. In big open events the mobs might be higher level and you might not be much in a fight, but if you can deliver on strong narrative, believe it or not you can lead a party of level 30s at level 5!
-
DM Silverfox
- Posts: 303
- Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:36 am
Re: How do I find events?
Typically, I come looking for you. With that said, my random events are inspired by RP developed by the player while out adventuring. I also lean into player requests and move on the server story as well so I may have a couple server wide events running each week, real life permitting.
My events are also RP heavy with combat added as flavor, usually scaled to level, so all levels can be my victims.
My events are also RP heavy with combat added as flavor, usually scaled to level, so all levels can be my victims.
-
cptcuddlepants
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:03 am
Re: How do I find events?
Thanks for the quick responses
I'm not sure I could lead a group of level 30s, I barely know how to play this game! I still keep accidentally running off while trying to talk to people...
I take it this means that if I'm... let's say, wandering around hunting bandits on my own, a DM could wander by and start something?
I take it this means that if I'm... let's say, wandering around hunting bandits on my own, a DM could wander by and start something?
-
Considerate_
- Posts: 630
- Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 am
Re: How do I find events?
A DM could come by and start something, but in my experience the DMs will prioritize groups. So if there's a group of 2-3 players hunting somewhere else, chances are they'll get the event
It does happen that a DM starts something with only one player, but that will mostly be a precursor that requires that person to find more able bodies to complete it.
Level has nothing to do with the chances of getting an event, so whether it's a group of level 30's or level 1's, you should be good.
PS: I still keep running off accidentally too
Level has nothing to do with the chances of getting an event, so whether it's a group of level 30's or level 1's, you should be good.
PS: I still keep running off accidentally too
Tamara - "I've seen colours you would never dream of"
Neschera - "Logic can bring you from one step to the next, creativity can bring you from anywhere to everywhere"
Neschera - "Logic can bring you from one step to the next, creativity can bring you from anywhere to everywhere"
-
DM Bloodlust
- Posts: 1246
- Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:41 am
Re: How do I find events?
I do spontaneous events quite often. I look for groups of people, at least 3 individuals strong (sometimes 2 in a pinch) out adventuring. Sometimes I can pick up people who are in safe zones, like a city, but it's more common to start something for people in a hostile zone.
I also do a lot of events for some guilds, or player groups that become engaged by the metaplot. If you hear or read anything about that, just send a PM that you want to get involved, or send in a player request. It always helps if the request comes from a group of players, rather than a single individual. Remember, you don't always need to be part of a guild to take part of some guild events. Just an ally to them in that particular storyline.
I also do a lot of events for some guilds, or player groups that become engaged by the metaplot. If you hear or read anything about that, just send a PM that you want to get involved, or send in a player request. It always helps if the request comes from a group of players, rather than a single individual. Remember, you don't always need to be part of a guild to take part of some guild events. Just an ally to them in that particular storyline.
-
mrm3ntalist
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 7846
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:31 pm
- Location: US of A
Re: How do I find events?
The best way to catch a dms attention for an event is to type on the dm channel a line describing what your group is doing.
Personally when i am in group and would want an event, if a dm logs in, i type something along the lines:
" A group of 5 adventurers are scouting the [insert area] in order to [insert reason] "
Having said that, we all should be respectfull and not spam such things on the dm channel, because as was mentioned before the dms might be busy with other things
Personally when i am in group and would want an event, if a dm logs in, i type something along the lines:
" A group of 5 adventurers are scouting the [insert area] in order to [insert reason] "
Having said that, we all should be respectfull and not spam such things on the dm channel, because as was mentioned before the dms might be busy with other things
Mendel - Ranger, Harper, Villi | Malaggar Tiabbar - The Crimson Chord |Elias Raemir The Unyielding Aegis | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus
-
gedweyignasia
- Custom Content
- Posts: 1353
- Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 pm
- Location: EST/UTC-4
Re: How do I find events?
Oh, wow! Love this approach, sounds like a great way to stir up some RP organically, and a polite way to let DMs in when you're ready for an event. Very good thought!!mrm3ntalist wrote:The best way to catch a dms attention for an event is to type on the dm channel a line describing what your group is doing.
Personally when i am in group and would want an event, if a dm logs in, i type something along the lines:
" A group of 5 adventurers are scouting the [insert area] in order to [insert reason] "
Having said that, we all should be respectfull and not spam such things on the dm channel, because as was mentioned before the dms might be busy with other things