Character whose goal is to take over X area

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

fearknight2003
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Character whose goal is to take over X area

Unread post by fearknight2003 »

Let's say someone makes a wizard whose goal is to conquer Beregost. Can they assemble a group of other players with an IC reason to join them that makes sense in roleplay and take over it? I assume a DM would need to be present to allow guards to fight back, but is that within the rules? Asking because I wanted to make an evil character whose goal is to establish their own theocracy/magocracy devoted to Mystra, and he would need to conquer some place to do that. (He isn't a cleric because she probably wouldn't support that)
((EDIT: I had to remove Surface Drow from the title; I changed my mind about asking my question on that before posting, and forgot to change the title))
Last edited by fearknight2003 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
It was a fun year (I think). Bye.
R0ninknight
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:16 pm
Location: United States

Re: Character whose goal is to take over X area and Surface

Unread post by R0ninknight »

That is a darn good question! I'm quite curious what staff attitudes about this sort of thing are.
Question: would you settle for another area besides a town or major location that's part of the main timeline of events? A lair, stronghold, or other such territory to claim IC, maybe?

I mean.... this stuff opens doors such as 'could I save up enough to purchase the Friendly Arms Inn?'.

Interesting stuff.
Main: Leon Hart

To understand the paladin class is to delve not only into the topic of faith but also into the complexities of portraying a walking oxymoron: that of the pacifist warrior.
Considerate_
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 am

Re: Character whose goal is to take over X area and Surface

Unread post by Considerate_ »

It would never be a theocracy, simply because no priest of Mystra would ever condone that action - and if they did, they wouldn't be a priest of Mystra any longer ;)


To the best of my knowledge, the DM's won't ever allow a Player Character to become the ruler of a settlement the size of Beregost (there's close to 3.000 people there) without turning him into an NPC. There's simply too many things that makes it infeasible.
- You might stop playing - what happens then?
- You might be inactive for a period - what happens if someone wants to 'free' the town?
- Your character would have to spend all their time, ingame and offscreen, managing the town. No more adventures for you.


If you don't feel like NPCing your character, you could try and start an organisation with an NPC leader that had the goal of taking over the city - either covertly or overtly.

I'll come right off the bat and say that overtly seems like the least plausible one. You'd have to find backing to challenge Amn in this case - and although Beregost is 'just' on the fringe of their land, it's of great symbolic importance to them to keep it due to a Server Event also known as the Amn-Baldur's Gate war where the city changed hands. And if you were to aim at other towns, you'd face similar (but perhaps not as overwhelming) obstacles.

I know for a fact that there's been a shadow government at least once in Beregost, orchestrated by player events (at least that's how I understood it)... I know because the Church of Lathander helped unravel it :P

So in short, it's possible to try! But you need to go about it in a plausible way.
Tamara - "I've seen colours you would never dream of"
Neschera - "Logic can bring you from one step to the next, creativity can bring you from anywhere to everywhere"

Return to “Questions for DMs”