AlwaysSummer Day wrote: Haularake: - God-damnit
Hrast (or the southern hrammar): - Damn
Naeth/naed (or the southern orbal): - Dung (exclamation) aka S***
Parharding: - A swear word used as an adjective ("Parharding wizard!")
Sabruin: - Get lost or up yours (v. harsh) aka go F*** yourself
Scorchkettle: - Woman who quickly mouths off to those who raise her ire. aka B****
Stlarn: - Polite equivalent of F-word (about as blasphemous as "darn" used where we might say "screw" or "screwing" (stlarning) "They can't kell anything without stlarning up!", "Stlarning bandits!"
Turnshield: - Polite cormyrean term for bastard.
Hard to play evil.
Moderators: Moderator, DM
-
Young Werther
- Posts: 863
- Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:42 pm
- Location: Azkaban
Re: Hard to play evil.
This is the lore I wish they taught in noob school.
Lockonnow wrote:greatest fear like the movie Hellraiser they show you what you most fear and take a Image of IT
-
kleomenes
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 2416
- Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm
- Location: Serving the Black Hand
Re: Hard to play evil.
Good finds! Are these all Sword Coast words? Barring TurnshieldAlwaysSummer Day wrote: Haularake: - God-damnit
Hrast (or the southern hrammar): - Damn
Naeth/naed (or the southern orbal): - Dung (exclamation) aka S***
Parharding: - A swear word used as an adjective ("Parharding wizard!")
Sabruin: - Get lost or up yours (v. harsh) aka go F*** yourself
Scorchkettle: - Woman who quickly mouths off to those who raise her ire. aka B****
Stlarn: - Polite equivalent of F-word (about as blasphemous as "darn" used where we might say "screw" or "screwing" (stlarning) "They can't kell anything without stlarning up!", "Stlarning bandits!"
Turnshield: - Polite cormyrean term for bastard.
I can see scorchkettle getting used in the near future by my character
Vadim Morozov, Dreadmaster.
Former Characters: Mel Darenda, Daug'aonar, Dural Narkisi, Cynric Greyfox, Ameris Santraeger, Cosimo Delucca, Talas Marsak.
Former Characters: Mel Darenda, Daug'aonar, Dural Narkisi, Cynric Greyfox, Ameris Santraeger, Cosimo Delucca, Talas Marsak.
-
Deathgrowl
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 6603
- Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
- Location: VIKING NORWAY!
Re: Hard to play evil.
I don't see how you need to be gratuitously graphically descriptive of violence or sex in order to RP evil (or RP at all, lets be honest. I've run into some nasty ERP while sneaking a few times). Just imply the torture or the sexual encounter. You don't need to describe it in detail in order for it to be valid RP.
I'm not sure how swearing came into this conversation (I suppose it's part of the Teen/PG-13 rules), as swearing has absolutely nothing to do with evil RP.
As a side note: Naed, hrast and stlarn are all very, very common words in the Elminster books. I've even used stlarn and hrast a few times on BG!
I'm not sure how swearing came into this conversation (I suppose it's part of the Teen/PG-13 rules), as swearing has absolutely nothing to do with evil RP.
As a side note: Naed, hrast and stlarn are all very, very common words in the Elminster books. I've even used stlarn and hrast a few times on BG!
... Why are you even here, man, if the server is so terrible?JCVD1 wrote:Past has shown players caught doing something wrong and got hammered even politely and left like scolded children.
Also, some has left because of the Disneyland RP enforced here.
Others have left because of butthurtness over death where there isn't even penalties for it.
The server culture encourage immaturity and lack of consequances for choices . You know, like adult life?
I've tried a lot of mature server, and the amount of "T_T" over trivial things is FARLESS numerous. I got forced Permakilled, a lvl 29 character. It hurts, it sucks, but hey! A new opportunity for a new character.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
-
Maximvs
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 3:45 pm
Re: Hard to play evil.
I disagree. Raising the age requirement a bit would allow slave RP for example ; so it's more than just written details, its a wider variety of RP.Deathgrowl wrote:I don't see how you need to be gratuitously graphically descriptive of violence or sex in order to RP evil (or RP at all, lets be honest. I've run into some nasty ERP while sneaking a few times).
MmmmMMMMmmm, tasty humanz, hmmmmMMM!!!
-
Deathgrowl
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 6603
- Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
- Location: VIKING NORWAY!
Re: Hard to play evil.
Slave RP comes with a bit of a problem that isn't necessarily related to age, though. People play this game to have fun. If you agree to play someone's slave, your RP is going to be reliant on them. If in the future there's an OOC disagreement about the RP, it just causes drama, and the slave character is pretty much destroyed.Maximvs wrote:I disagree. Raising the age requirement a bit would allow slave RP for example ; so it's more than just written details, its a wider variety of RP.Deathgrowl wrote:I don't see how you need to be gratuitously graphically descriptive of violence or sex in order to RP evil (or RP at all, lets be honest. I've run into some nasty ERP while sneaking a few times).
As I understand it, this is the main reason why slave RP is disallowed. It prevents that OOC drama.
But I might be wrong on that.
EDIT: But saying that, you seem to suggest that slavery is the only viable evil RP? Is this the only case where the rules prevent you from RPing evil? I mean, there are several people on the surface that are more than capable of RPing evil, so it's rather demonstrably not an actuall problem. I'm just wondering why you can't do it?
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
-
Maximvs
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 3:45 pm
Re: Hard to play evil.
No. I never said that. It was but an example. If, let's say, server A prevents slavery, but server B allows slavery, then server B has more RP options than server A. My suggestion is a way for everyone to get everything they want ; the whole goodie goodie part on the surface, and the darker stuff in the UD. PG 13 drow aren't very convincing.Deathgrowl wrote: EDIT: But saying that, you seem to suggest that slavery is the only viable evil RP?
MmmmMMMMmmm, tasty humanz, hmmmmMMM!!!
-
Deathgrowl
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 6603
- Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
- Location: VIKING NORWAY!
Re: Hard to play evil.
Again, I fail to see what kind of evil you're prevented from doing under the current rules. Apart from slavery, that is.Maximvs wrote:No. I never said that. It was but an example. If, let's say, server A prevents slavery, but server B allows slavery, then server B has more RP options than server A. My suggestion is a way for everyone to get everything they want ; the whole goodie goodie part on the surface, and the darker stuff in the UD. PG 13 drow aren't very convincing.Deathgrowl wrote: EDIT: But saying that, you seem to suggest that slavery is the only viable evil RP?
PG-13 drow are as convincing as PG-13 devils, demons and undeads. Or to use a player character specific comparison, PG-13 drow are as convincing as PG-13 Red Wizards, Zhentarim or Cult of the Dragon.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
-
Rhifox
- Posts: 3962
- Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:34 am
Re: Hard to play evil.
You don't need PG 16 to have slavery. Slavery could very easily be allowed on a PG 13 server. It isn't, because players very rarely can be trusted with it. Even on a 'mature' server, allowing slavery will not 'create more evil', it will create situations of in-game playing out of players' BDSM fantasies.
Slavery is a very delicate subject that creates some very serious psychological ramifications. It does not at all need a higher rating, what it needs is players who are able to treat the institution with the seriousness that it deserves. 9 times out of 10, RPers cannot do this, no matter the server rating.
Underdark could allow slavery, and remain PG 13. But I doubt this will happen, for the reasons stated clearly in the rules: It more often leads to interactions of sexual nature than anything else. Or, as stated above, it causes situations of OOC drama between the players.
I'll say this though about the rating: Personally, I prefer higher ratings rather than lower ones, if only because I don't like having to arbitrarily limit my RP to account for what is essentially an OOC restriction. Sometimes heavy gore, serious portrayals of very ugly scenarios, or intimate interactions happen, for legitimate in-character purposes. It breaks immersion for me personally to have to alter the manner in which I might like to describe or deal with a situation because of something entirely OOC.
However, it is also not a serious issue. Evil can be done just as well, just as dark, as on any higher rating. The lower rating just limits the manner in which one may describe it. It necessitates more use of vague and undefined emotes and references. This is all rather easily done, and ultimately does not greatly affect the actual RP that occurs in most cases. Good stories can be, and routinely are, told at all levels of rating.
Slavery is a very delicate subject that creates some very serious psychological ramifications. It does not at all need a higher rating, what it needs is players who are able to treat the institution with the seriousness that it deserves. 9 times out of 10, RPers cannot do this, no matter the server rating.
Underdark could allow slavery, and remain PG 13. But I doubt this will happen, for the reasons stated clearly in the rules: It more often leads to interactions of sexual nature than anything else. Or, as stated above, it causes situations of OOC drama between the players.
I'll say this though about the rating: Personally, I prefer higher ratings rather than lower ones, if only because I don't like having to arbitrarily limit my RP to account for what is essentially an OOC restriction. Sometimes heavy gore, serious portrayals of very ugly scenarios, or intimate interactions happen, for legitimate in-character purposes. It breaks immersion for me personally to have to alter the manner in which I might like to describe or deal with a situation because of something entirely OOC.
However, it is also not a serious issue. Evil can be done just as well, just as dark, as on any higher rating. The lower rating just limits the manner in which one may describe it. It necessitates more use of vague and undefined emotes and references. This is all rather easily done, and ultimately does not greatly affect the actual RP that occurs in most cases. Good stories can be, and routinely are, told at all levels of rating.
Last edited by Rhifox on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tarina — The Witch of Darkhold, a dealer in spirits and black magic
-
thids
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 11:05 am
Re: Hard to play evil.
They are from "Ed Greenwood presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms" a book from 2012. I used to have a copy but i lost the pdf and I can't find a new one. It has some rubbish in it, but it also has a bunch of cool stuff like examples of various couisines (including Tethyrian!), a detailed description of how waterdhavian nobility functions, some updates on various clergy (thats the rubbish part IMO), literature in the realms etc. In general it's a book which isn't tied to an edition, and serves to fill FR roleplay with neat fluff.kleomenes wrote:Good finds! Are these all Sword Coast words? Barring TurnshieldAlwaysSummer Day wrote: Haularake: - God-damnit
Hrast (or the southern hrammar): - Damn
Naeth/naed (or the southern orbal): - Dung (exclamation) aka S***
Parharding: - A swear word used as an adjective ("Parharding wizard!")
Sabruin: - Get lost or up yours (v. harsh) aka go F*** yourself
Scorchkettle: - Woman who quickly mouths off to those who raise her ire. aka B****
Stlarn: - Polite equivalent of F-word (about as blasphemous as "darn" used where we might say "screw" or "screwing" (stlarning) "They can't kell anything without stlarning up!", "Stlarning bandits!"
Turnshield: - Polite cormyrean term for bastard.
I can see scorchkettle getting used in the near future by my character
Last edited by thids on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Maximilian Blackthorne - retired
-
kleomenes
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 2416
- Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm
- Location: Serving the Black Hand
Re: Hard to play evil.
Thids wrote: They are from "Ed Greenwood presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms" a book from 2012. I used to have a copy but i lost the pdf and I can't find a new one. It has some rubbish in it, but it also has a bunch of cool stuff like examples of various couisines (including Tethyrian!).
I need to get this!
And then I might to have to write a PM to a couple of people to retcon fine Tethyrian dining RP dating back as far as 2013 (sorry Nomster, Considerate_ and Nerialka! And many others)
Vadim Morozov, Dreadmaster.
Former Characters: Mel Darenda, Daug'aonar, Dural Narkisi, Cynric Greyfox, Ameris Santraeger, Cosimo Delucca, Talas Marsak.
Former Characters: Mel Darenda, Daug'aonar, Dural Narkisi, Cynric Greyfox, Ameris Santraeger, Cosimo Delucca, Talas Marsak.
-
DM Pun Pun
- Posts: 1424
- Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:52 pm
Re: Hard to play evil.
Our ruling on banning slavery RP is because slave RP usually leads to gratuitous violence and ERP from past experiences on this server.Maximvs wrote:
I disagree. Raising the age requirement a bit would allow slave RP for example ; so it's more than just written details, its a wider variety of RP.
-
Calodan
- Posts: 2032
- Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm
- Location: Missoula Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY
Re: Hard to play evil.
Our ruling on banning slavery RP is because slave RP usually leads to gratuitous violence and ERP from past experiences on this server.
I would think the ERP is the real reason we stay PG13. Gratuitous violence happens all the time and few really care about that. I mean it is fairly common to cut off a persons head for a trophy (AKA ORC LEADER) as opposed to just stabbing them and killing them......
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"
"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
"We should take the army head on!"
"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
-
Deathgrowl
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 6603
- Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
- Location: VIKING NORWAY!
Re: Hard to play evil.
This is a common counterargument to the PG-13 rules. We kill things all the time, lots of violence and whatever.Calodan wrote:Our ruling on banning slavery RP is because slave RP usually leads to gratuitous violence and ERP from past experiences on this server.
I would think the ERP is the real reason we stay PG13. Gratuitous violence happens all the time and few really care about that. I mean it is fairly common to cut off a persons head for a trophy (AKA ORC LEADER) as opposed to just stabbing them and killing them......
But it's a nonsensical argument because it's not gratuitously descriptive. The objection to torture RP isn't that it can happen - it can happen. People (me, for instance) just don't want to read the detailed descriptions of how you are torturing people. Fade to black is an acceptable method.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
-
MopKnight
- Posts: 207
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:00 pm
Re: Hard to play evil.
In my opinion.
One of the local players recently stabbed his two group mates in the back, left one of them trapped under a tree, beat the other one senseless, removed his head, then dedicated the head along with a huge pool of blood to Shar in front of the Friendly Arm Inn.
That puts said character on par with ISIS. You can also commit genocide and mass violence without breaking character, you can easily set characters on fire, smash them up, turn them undead, torture them (using convenient fade to blacks - do I really need to read your attempt to reproduce fingernail torture to know your character is evil, btw?) and even commit more violent acts, provided you aren't roleplaying them out.
I too came here believing PG13 was a bad thing, but you know what? Without the temptation to ERP and without the brutal ultraviolence torture porn that infests some servers, I do not think we lose anything. The only thing I miss is the swearing - mainly because feck really doesn't have the same power and I play an absolutely foul mouthed main character.
One of the local players recently stabbed his two group mates in the back, left one of them trapped under a tree, beat the other one senseless, removed his head, then dedicated the head along with a huge pool of blood to Shar in front of the Friendly Arm Inn.
That puts said character on par with ISIS. You can also commit genocide and mass violence without breaking character, you can easily set characters on fire, smash them up, turn them undead, torture them (using convenient fade to blacks - do I really need to read your attempt to reproduce fingernail torture to know your character is evil, btw?) and even commit more violent acts, provided you aren't roleplaying them out.
I too came here believing PG13 was a bad thing, but you know what? Without the temptation to ERP and without the brutal ultraviolence torture porn that infests some servers, I do not think we lose anything. The only thing I miss is the swearing - mainly because feck really doesn't have the same power and I play an absolutely foul mouthed main character.
-
Calodan
- Posts: 2032
- Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm
- Location: Missoula Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY
Re: Hard to play evil.
This is a common counterargument to the PG-13 rules. We kill things all the time, lots of violence and whatever.
But it's a nonsensical argument because it's not gratuitously descriptive. The objection to torture RP isn't that it can happen - it can happen. People (me, for instance) just don't want to read the detailed descriptions of how you are torturing people. Fade to black is an acceptable method.
Exactly!!! I am not arguing against the PG13 in fact I think it is great!! It keeps this world focused on adventure RP instead of the other RP that has infested D&D in our lower morality these days!!!
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"
"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
"We should take the army head on!"
"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer