So, in yesterday's event my toon spat on the floor. Although it was meant to be rude, I think people's reactions were a bit strange.
In medieval times (and up to 1600-1700) it was a common thing to do, at all levels of society. In DnD I always conisdered it as an "ok" thing to do, (I must stress that my char WANTED to be rude) but everyone took it as a serious offence (only IC ofc), so I decided to ask: what is the offical "statement" on this?
The server lore is "modern" or "medieval" in this regard?
P.E.: This is a very minor thing, still it can be meaningful is certain situations.
Question about spitting (small detail I know, but still)
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
TheLier
- Posts: 388
- Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:07 am
-
[DM] Seren
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:54 pm
Re: Question about spitting (small detail I know, but still)
This is very much a question that depends on the audience.
Forgotten Realms is a varied world. Although the date puts it into the High Medieval period, society wise and even technology-wise, it ranges easily from being equivalent to the Dark Ages through the late renaissance/early modern period and this is just talking about the human cultures.
For some good contrast, compare the merchant republic of Turmish against the Tethyran kingdoms or the Calimshanites (can't type the other name because censors). Add Thayans, rashemi and Icewind Dalers into the mix and it goes even weirder.
The server itself could best be described as a renaissance Italy, perhaps around Florence region. The Sword Coast is ruled not by kings but by often elected nobles or councils. Most of the society is in form of free peasantry or burghers, not serfs.
Now, let us consider races. Both elves and dwarves could be considered as having a need for hygenie equal to either the modern or roman times. Elves due to their love of beauty, dwarves because it's utilitarian to be clean when you live in cramped quarters underground.
Now on topic of spitting on the floor. I am afraid I have not read much FR related works examining it, but I would think the upper levels of society and all levels of elves would find it below themselves, if not outright rude. Dwarves seem to reserve spitting for insults, injury and drinking, while elves only doing it if injury calls for it.
I would say if your character spat on the ground in the middle of the city surrounded by common burghers or out in the farmlands and surrounded by peasants, nobody would bat an eye. However, if your character spat on the floor of someone's house, they will take offense. Now make this the house of a noble or the ducal palace and you might even be punished for misdemeanor, especially if you are not of equal rank.
As for how PCs react, it's up to the players. Many of us play characters who are above the dirt and sludge of common peasantry - not saying all characters are so - but the knightly types? Certainly.
Forgotten Realms is a varied world. Although the date puts it into the High Medieval period, society wise and even technology-wise, it ranges easily from being equivalent to the Dark Ages through the late renaissance/early modern period and this is just talking about the human cultures.
For some good contrast, compare the merchant republic of Turmish against the Tethyran kingdoms or the Calimshanites (can't type the other name because censors). Add Thayans, rashemi and Icewind Dalers into the mix and it goes even weirder.
The server itself could best be described as a renaissance Italy, perhaps around Florence region. The Sword Coast is ruled not by kings but by often elected nobles or councils. Most of the society is in form of free peasantry or burghers, not serfs.
Now, let us consider races. Both elves and dwarves could be considered as having a need for hygenie equal to either the modern or roman times. Elves due to their love of beauty, dwarves because it's utilitarian to be clean when you live in cramped quarters underground.
Now on topic of spitting on the floor. I am afraid I have not read much FR related works examining it, but I would think the upper levels of society and all levels of elves would find it below themselves, if not outright rude. Dwarves seem to reserve spitting for insults, injury and drinking, while elves only doing it if injury calls for it.
I would say if your character spat on the ground in the middle of the city surrounded by common burghers or out in the farmlands and surrounded by peasants, nobody would bat an eye. However, if your character spat on the floor of someone's house, they will take offense. Now make this the house of a noble or the ducal palace and you might even be punished for misdemeanor, especially if you are not of equal rank.
As for how PCs react, it's up to the players. Many of us play characters who are above the dirt and sludge of common peasantry - not saying all characters are so - but the knightly types? Certainly.
-
TheLier
- Posts: 388
- Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:07 am
Re: Question about spitting (small detail I know, but still)
Ok then, so I should go with the "modern" route then. Good to know.
-
TheLier
- Posts: 388
- Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:07 am
Re: Question about spitting (small detail I know, but still)
Well, the point was: spitting is a strange thing. Pre the 17th, it was a quite "polite" thing to do, even among aristocrats. But we are "mordern" then, good to know.