Hello,
I play a spirit shaman, and a lot of my RP has involved discussing spirits. I was wondering, at what point does a spirit count as an "NPC" and thus should be left to DM management? While most of the spirits my character has directly involved with her count as background relations (similar to other characters' friends or families), I have also at times had to describe things related to other players or locations. As an example, and the thing that made me realize I should raise this question, I have described a spirit for Michael Dunn's campsite based on the way the campsite's RP has developed. The fact that this involves an actual in-game location (however small) gives me pause.
I would not dream to give specific info on major world locations (like Baldur's Gate itself), but I just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong by describing spirits of small scale interactions.
Thank you for your answer.
Godmoding question - Spirits?
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Rhifox
- Posts: 3962
- Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:34 am
Godmoding question - Spirits?
Tarina — The Witch of Darkhold, a dealer in spirits and black magic
-
DM Ditto
- Posts: 2258
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 pm
Re: Godmoding question - Spirits?
This is actually a very good question, as Spirit Shamans are a rare breed here, let alone Spirit Shamans who roleplay the class extensively and with the ramifications that come from it. As the pink text indicates, my answer will be from my personal opinion and other DMs may have a different approach.
Interacting with spirits that are not yours requires permission from the spirits' respective owners. In the context of in-game locations and objects, the "owners" would be the DMs, so send a request our way. This is so that first, we know what you are doing (explaining why helps, too), and second, we can provide you with an answer/spirit that is in line with server lore. That campsite may have seen things in the past.
I hope this answer has been helpful for you.
Interacting with spirits that are not yours requires permission from the spirits' respective owners. In the context of in-game locations and objects, the "owners" would be the DMs, so send a request our way. This is so that first, we know what you are doing (explaining why helps, too), and second, we can provide you with an answer/spirit that is in line with server lore. That campsite may have seen things in the past.
I hope this answer has been helpful for you.
Forum Rules | Server Rules | PvP Rules
Text in pink is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the DM Team in general!
Text in pink is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the DM Team in general!
-
Rhifox
- Posts: 3962
- Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:34 am
Re: Godmoding question - Spirits?
Thank you for your response, Ditto! I will keep it in mind, and try not to flood the DM inbox with spirit requests. 
Tarina — The Witch of Darkhold, a dealer in spirits and black magic