Gnme and Halfling sized wizard items
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Boddynock
- Posts: 838
- Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:30 am
Gnme and Halfling sized wizard items
I was speaking to one of the DMs about this in game, and they couldn't find anything solid in the for of a ruling or policy or recorded precedent, and suggested I run it by the team. But I asked if there was a ruling regarding having a DM trade a staff or something with good wizzie stats (like one bought from sorcerous sundries) for a club or dagger or something a gnome can actually use with the same exact stats. And if that is against the rules, why? Also, please don't suggest the Arcane Ally dagger from Gullykin, it is twice as pricey and spell slots on weapons are literally (not figuratively) worthless on a server that requires you to disarm to go anywhere civilized. (No problem with the realism part, but it makes slot weapons stupidly annoying)
Liam the Golden
Illdraen, Guerilla Skirmisher of Sshamath
Guy "Knife-Ears" Masterson
Boddynock Namfoodle, Illusionist Extraordinaire! (temporary leave of absence, again)
"Liam the Golden, so I have heard,
Yet truly none can polish a..." - Ameris Santraeger, 2016
Illdraen, Guerilla Skirmisher of Sshamath
Guy "Knife-Ears" Masterson
Boddynock Namfoodle, Illusionist Extraordinaire! (temporary leave of absence, again)
"Liam the Golden, so I have heard,
Yet truly none can polish a..." - Ameris Santraeger, 2016
-
DM Narshe
- Posts: 1227
- Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am
Re: Gnme and Halfling sized wizard items
RE: Weapons being disarmed in civilized areas
A while ago when the question of staffs was last brought up, the DMs had a discussion and poll. I've updated our list of DM decisions to include it.
There was mention of possibly adding a VFX/prop "walking stick" at some point but it's unnecessary or very low importance.
RE: "Small" weapons
Moving the property to a smaller item isn't a good solution. It would be very difficult to keep track of these edited weapons as they'd essentially be created specifically for small-race use only. Additionally, each and every of these items would require DM intervention and time, bringing us back to the era of when DMs were doing regen cloak changes 2/3rds of the day.
I'm not opposed to another type of solution to the problem however. I do think small races should be allowed to equip quarterstaff but I'm not sure if the model-animations line up right or if it breaks .bics or if it's just something that needs to be edited in the baseweapon file.
Ideally, weapons wouldn't have bonus spell slots imo, considering the system handles them so poorly. Weapons should have uses/day or just plain charges...
A while ago when the question of staffs was last brought up, the DMs had a discussion and poll. I've updated our list of DM decisions to include it.
There was mention of possibly adding a VFX/prop "walking stick" at some point but it's unnecessary or very low importance.
RE: "Small" weapons
Moving the property to a smaller item isn't a good solution. It would be very difficult to keep track of these edited weapons as they'd essentially be created specifically for small-race use only. Additionally, each and every of these items would require DM intervention and time, bringing us back to the era of when DMs were doing regen cloak changes 2/3rds of the day.
I'm not opposed to another type of solution to the problem however. I do think small races should be allowed to equip quarterstaff but I'm not sure if the model-animations line up right or if it breaks .bics or if it's just something that needs to be edited in the baseweapon file.
Ideally, weapons wouldn't have bonus spell slots imo, considering the system handles them so poorly. Weapons should have uses/day or just plain charges...
-
Boddynock
- Posts: 838
- Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:30 am
Re: Gnme and Halfling sized wizard items
What if I just created a club in the toolset with the exact same stats and sent you the .erf, could we have it added to the store? I could possibly get the script that Sigil uses to disallow UMD checks and make it usable by small races only, regardless of UMD. Would that suffice?
Liam the Golden
Illdraen, Guerilla Skirmisher of Sshamath
Guy "Knife-Ears" Masterson
Boddynock Namfoodle, Illusionist Extraordinaire! (temporary leave of absence, again)
"Liam the Golden, so I have heard,
Yet truly none can polish a..." - Ameris Santraeger, 2016
Illdraen, Guerilla Skirmisher of Sshamath
Guy "Knife-Ears" Masterson
Boddynock Namfoodle, Illusionist Extraordinaire! (temporary leave of absence, again)
"Liam the Golden, so I have heard,
Yet truly none can polish a..." - Ameris Santraeger, 2016
-
Mac
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 293
- Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm
- Location: California, Usa
Re: Gnme and Halfling sized wizard items
Would it be possible to take monkey grip for useing wizard staffs? Granted it is unfortunate to waste a feat for something any normal sized wizard can do for free but it also seems like a viable option.
Sara Denton "Ashley" Fled the Swords Coast
Macgar Blackbrew Returned to Tribe Raymar
Nroc Living a life at sea
-
DM Narshe
- Posts: 1227
- Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am
Re: Gnme and Halfling sized wizard items
We have a new store going in soon. I'll see if they can add a couple small-wizardy items to it.Boddynock wrote:What if I just created a club in the toolset with the exact same stats and sent you the .erf, could we have it added to the store? I could possibly get the script that Sigil uses to disallow UMD checks and make it usable by small races only, regardless of UMD. Would that suffice?
-
Boddynock
- Posts: 838
- Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:30 am
Re: Gnme and Halfling sized wizard items
Thanks Narshe. I am certain all us little wizards will enjoy that!
Liam the Golden
Illdraen, Guerilla Skirmisher of Sshamath
Guy "Knife-Ears" Masterson
Boddynock Namfoodle, Illusionist Extraordinaire! (temporary leave of absence, again)
"Liam the Golden, so I have heard,
Yet truly none can polish a..." - Ameris Santraeger, 2016
Illdraen, Guerilla Skirmisher of Sshamath
Guy "Knife-Ears" Masterson
Boddynock Namfoodle, Illusionist Extraordinaire! (temporary leave of absence, again)
"Liam the Golden, so I have heard,
Yet truly none can polish a..." - Ameris Santraeger, 2016