Server's "ELEET" Hacker Port

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
BlueAce417
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Pff, idk. Some sorta room, maybe?

Server's "ELEET" Hacker Port

Unread post by BlueAce417 »

So I probably have been gone for a bit too long (recently switched to a different operating system and it's taken me forever to get it running), but I noticed the very oddly defined port the server seems to be using.

Why the Back Orifice Port? I've learned nothing good about that port and I am very curious as to why the server is using it.

Does the server have some sort of way of protecting itself from malicious codes over this port, or is the server only accepting a specific sort of traffic over this port?

I want to know before I redownload the server and play (because again, I switched OS's).
Caedis Littlefoot - The Scaled Seeker
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
kellendril
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Server's "ELEET" Hacker Port

Unread post by kellendril »

I'll let someone with more knowledge of the situation answer, but I suspect it is a part of the server response to a hacker in recent weeks.
Eowiel Le'liana - Formerly Respected Councilor/Citizen of Doron Amar, now Disrespected Free Agent
Merry Angalagaleil - Strongheart Halfling Sacred Fist
User avatar
Endelyon
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 am

Re: Server's "ELEET" Hacker Port

Unread post by Endelyon »

The port change was intentional. An open port is an open port whether it's 5121 or 31337 or 65535. I'd rather not speak overmuch on the reason behind the change or our security measures as such information being readily available makes said measures inherently less secure--especially not in a public forum thread.

There is assuredly no danger to your computer, its files, or your personal information in connecting to the server through the new port--at least no more so than there was before the port change. If you have any specific questions or concerns feel free to shoot me a PM and I can try to assuage them.
User avatar
BlueAce417
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Pff, idk. Some sorta room, maybe?

Re: Server's "ELEET" Hacker Port

Unread post by BlueAce417 »

Alrighty, can't wait to get back into the game.

At least when I have time
Caedis Littlefoot - The Scaled Seeker
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist

Return to “Questions for DMs”