MS
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
Lockonnow
- Posts: 3121
- Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm
MS
Will i was making a snaek attack on a bugbear i send a fire bolt at him he just turn around and send a blot back to me before i hit him how can that be i have a 26 in skills of MS he can here me before it was don i have walk up to one that just turn around couse they have a high listen more then my 26 skills in MS how can that be?
-
fearknight2003
- Posts: 354
- Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:53 pm
Re: MS
I think move silently and hide checks automatically fail on a roll of 1. You probably just rolled a 1.Lockonnow wrote:Will i was making a snaek attack on a bugbear i send a fire bolt at him he just turn around and send a blot back to me before i hit him how can that be i have a 26 in skills of MS he can here me before it was don i have walk up to one that just turn around couse they have a high listen more then my 26 skills in MS how can that be?
It was a fun year (I think). Bye.
-
fearknight2003
- Posts: 354
- Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:53 pm
Re: MS
Even if you're only rolling on one of them, you fail on rolling a 1.Lockonnow wrote:fearknight2003 i only roll on one nothing else fearknight2003 only one allways fearknight2003 can you he youself talk
Also, how do you Stealth with only one of them?
Also... did you really just ask if I could hear myself talk? Wow. Rude.
It was a fun year (I think). Bye.
-
V'rass
- Posts: 1251
- Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:48 pm
- Location: Concord, N.H., USSA
Re: MS
I am going to take a risk but... are you drunk? Your spelling is all out of whack, your sentences are difficult to understand, and your response to fearknight was rather odd?
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."
Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
-
Moridin
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 582
- Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm
- Location: SK, Canada
Re: MS
@V'rass: I think he is using a translator as his posts are always like that. Lets see if I can translate them for you... ((brb))
1:
Regardless I think the answer is that you need both Hide and Move Silently since the AI knows when it is attacked or other people are nearby unless the character is hiding. Move Silently is a skill that is used with hide. This is since hunters as an example that are stalking their prey in the woods((think bow and arrow)) would both hide and move as silently as possible, in order to not alert their prey to their presence. If you only needed move silently in the game, what would prevent a player's character from walking up to an npc that was facing him and performing a sneak attack after going around to the other side? I don't think the dice system concerning move silently would be set up to work that way with npcs however. I could be wrong though.
1:
2:Well, I was making a sneak attack on a bugbear and I fired a bolt at him. He just turned around and fired a bolt back at me before I hit him. How can that be? I have a 26 in Move Silently, yet he can hear me before I hit him? I have walked up to one and they just turn around since apparently they have a listen check higher than 26. How can that be?
3:fearknight2003 I only roll on one skill, nothing else. Only one always. ((Last part I don't know as I really don't think he is asking if knight can hear himself talk... maybe he is meaning can you hear youself talk when you are posting on a forum, that would sort of fit with everything else.))
@LockonnowWell yes, you can lid a roller ball.((No idea when pens came into this.)) You never have a clue at all.
Regardless I think the answer is that you need both Hide and Move Silently since the AI knows when it is attacked or other people are nearby unless the character is hiding. Move Silently is a skill that is used with hide. This is since hunters as an example that are stalking their prey in the woods((think bow and arrow)) would both hide and move as silently as possible, in order to not alert their prey to their presence. If you only needed move silently in the game, what would prevent a player's character from walking up to an npc that was facing him and performing a sneak attack after going around to the other side? I don't think the dice system concerning move silently would be set up to work that way with npcs however. I could be wrong though.
-
Lockonnow
- Posts: 3121
- Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm
Re: MS
well if you cast the spell invisible when you need to go to get the wyven egg they will attack some time so if you wish to that not to happending you only need MS skill point they dont attack or so you dont need the Hide for the
wyven if you use the spell you you might need MS skills point but if you attack the bugbear could be the same it is sad you need both hide and ms if you shall go attack one from behide
wyven if you use the spell you you might need MS skills point but if you attack the bugbear could be the same it is sad you need both hide and ms if you shall go attack one from behide
-
Moridin
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 582
- Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm
- Location: SK, Canada
Re: MS
Ah. I did not think of invisibility as I don't think invisibility was mentioned earlier in the thread. Yes, it should work with invisibility though I think the game rerolls your move silently every so often if you are within a certain distance of the creature... I would think however that a wyvern would be good at spotting.
I am unsure what CR the bugbears even are however since I don't play on the surface. The crossbow thing however, I don't fully understand why that would happen. Is the first attack from the crossbow at least coming up as a sneak attack? If so then it is still working, just the animations are doing normal behaviours rather than showing what is really happenning.
I am unsure what CR the bugbears even are however since I don't play on the surface. The crossbow thing however, I don't fully understand why that would happen. Is the first attack from the crossbow at least coming up as a sneak attack? If so then it is still working, just the animations are doing normal behaviours rather than showing what is really happenning.
-
Larzs
- Posts: 439
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:27 pm
- Location: A vast corn field
Re: MS
They would still get an idea where you are if you fail on your MS even if you got Invis on. If this happens on a PC they appear as a weird blacken body that if I recall can't be selected...but say you could be targeted in the range of a Fireball from a caster. Not sure how NPCs handle such a situation. Also the fact even if Hide and MS after an attack something makes a foe still chase you which is annoying...