Random questions for returning player

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

marine436
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:50 am

Random questions for returning player

Unread post by marine436 »

This is a list of questions ive had over the last 10 or so days, I know it's Random and Jumps over the place, So I appreciate your time in answering them.

1. How much does a Farmer make per month\year, a blacksmith, a workman in Baldurs gate.
I am trying to get a bead on the economy for a city who charges haircuts at 100gp

2. I know we are in the forgotten realms universe with a varied and deep lore\background, can PC's just arrive by boat from 'far off lands' or do they need to know where they were in terms of forgotten realms Territory ?

3. Can I get more information on how the yearly campaigns work? will one be starting over in 2017? do you have to sign up? when does it happen? can we change Forgotten realms History? (has it been changed?)

4. I have noticed There are spells of wards, and designate ward guardian, and a way to ward keeps, I assume this is for guilds, how many guilds are there, are there secret guilds?
how does this system work over-all?

5. I am using the client extender, however the map rarely works, additionally I crash when entering certain area's for the 2\3rd time, (and this sometimes causes the server to think im dead after a reboot...) any technical aid in not getting flagged as dead, or crashing?

6. What are the rules around forum Roleplay? where does it take place, is it IC, can anyone join in, this includes PM's are they just Letters?
User avatar
Maecius
Retired Admin
Posts: 11639
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Re: Random questions for returning player

Unread post by Maecius »

I won't answer for the DMs, but just a few starters:

1) Hard to say on the economy. The in-game currency is inflated if you actually try to measure it against what's listed in the core rulebooks (where you can buy a good winter blanket for 5 silver pieces, and a warship for 25,000 GP), so comparisons like those are pretty useless. In real game terms, most farm tenants are poor. Work-a-day artisans and craftspeople are comfortable, but not surrounded in splendor (that is, they're middle class). And great land owners, nobles, and merchant princes are loaded. Measuring where each class "levels off" in raw GP numbers is probably going to be an exercise in futility however. Unless we play out that gold in the Forgotten Realms is heavily diluted (like iron coins painted with a thin sheaf of gold).

2) PCs do frequently come from other countries, and other reaches of Toril (the far east, the shining south, and so on). If you're thinking of making a character from somewhere really exotic, it's usually best to run it by the DMs just to be safe. Your character will obviously know where they're from, but there's nothing to stop them from not telling people, or being mysterious about it, if you yourself don't know anything about Forgotten Realms geography.

That being said, this link can be useful to those wanting to learn more about the game world's geography: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Geography

3) A new campaign will be starting in 2017. They affect the whole gaming world, on the surface and in the Underdark, usually. But you can skirt them most of the time if you don't want to fully engage them. If you do want to fully engage, this forum is usually where things are tracked and play out publicly: viewforum.php?f=399

4) There are dozens of guilds, some secret, some public. Any player can create a guild. After a month of demonstrated activity, they can get their own private forum. After six months of continued existence and activity, they can even apply for a guild hall.

5) I don't know much about the client extender's map. I have never used it myself. I just use the in-game minimap.

6) There aren't hard and fast rules with regards to how the forums might be used to augment your in-game roleplaying experience. If you put up a post that's taking place in a public environment, in theory anyone who would be in that environment can join in if they'd like to. If it's private roleplay or private letters, it's generally best to keep it to PMs.

Return to “Questions for DMs”