It's been years since I played the class and that wasn't actually in an FR setting in fact. I was wondering: how do people roleplay the shadowdancer? I'm just taking a 'dip' but I would like any PrC to be reflected in my RP.
I understand that it's an acquired skill-set and not necessarily granted by any divine or demonic power, but the class description is remarkably vague in some ways.
How do you shadowdance?
Moderators: Moderator, DM
-
Hrafnar
- Posts: 292
- Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 pm
- Location: NYC
-
Tsidkenu
Re: How do you shadowdance?
I used to RP my gypsy halfling SD's abilities as something that had been passed down the female line via special initiation, with HIPS itself simply being the supernatural ability to vanish into a nearby shadow completely, being wholly clothed with it albeit still wholly present & tangible.
Deathgrowl's Nea was one of the best RPed Shadowdancer's I've had the pleasure of experiencing in game, but since DG is on a bit of a hiatus from the server now I'm not sure he'll reply in this thread any time soon.
Deathgrowl's Nea was one of the best RPed Shadowdancer's I've had the pleasure of experiencing in game, but since DG is on a bit of a hiatus from the server now I'm not sure he'll reply in this thread any time soon.
-
Rhifox
- Posts: 3962
- Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:34 am
Re: How do you shadowdance?
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_magic
"Shadowdancers practiced a form of lesser shadow magic. They did not learn the ability through study, but acquired it instinctively through close association with shadow. Experts and more traditional shadow mages were uncertain as to how this occurred, but it was a matter of ongoing study."
Basically shadowdancers are something like the sorcerers of shadow magic.
*Note shadow magic here refers to magic that uses shadowy stuff that originates from the Plane of Shadow. It is not the Shadow Weave.
"Shadowdancers practiced a form of lesser shadow magic. They did not learn the ability through study, but acquired it instinctively through close association with shadow. Experts and more traditional shadow mages were uncertain as to how this occurred, but it was a matter of ongoing study."
Basically shadowdancers are something like the sorcerers of shadow magic.
*Note shadow magic here refers to magic that uses shadowy stuff that originates from the Plane of Shadow. It is not the Shadow Weave.
Tarina — The Witch of Darkhold, a dealer in spirits and black magic
-
Hrafnar
- Posts: 292
- Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 pm
- Location: NYC
Re: How do you shadowdance?
Hm so it could be something learned, inherited or just sort of manifests over time? It seems tied to performance and charisma conceptually if not mechanically, though these are qualities my character doesn't possess. Can I become a shadowdancer through sheer cynicism?
How does one treat HiPS or react to others HiPSing? Should it be a closely guarded secret, or is it considered standard fare by most experienced adventurers? Should it be accompanied by detailed emotes or just *poof* batman style. I know there's no 'correct' way but I would like to hear other people's opinions.
How does one treat HiPS or react to others HiPSing? Should it be a closely guarded secret, or is it considered standard fare by most experienced adventurers? Should it be accompanied by detailed emotes or just *poof* batman style. I know there's no 'correct' way but I would like to hear other people's opinions.
-
Zethrenx99
- Posts: 110
- Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:57 pm
- Location: USA, MI.
Re: How do you shadowdance?
Shadow dancing is a kind of "trade secret" used alot in circus acts and gipsy tribes. Its sorta like a magician never reveals his secrets sort of deal from my understanding so many who know the secrets of shadow dancing are reluctant to share them outside of their own. But it is a skill based thing, technically speaking (if i remember right) it is ones ability to exploit gaps between the martial and shadow plane which most people are unaware of that allows them to blur the line of where their body begins and a shadow ends. So I can imagine with enough observation and study that some one could dissect how to do it themselves.
With that said, I hate HiPsters
With that said, I hate HiPsters
Emma Sxn'Tubxs- Suppressing her emotions.Theme!
Koga: Wolf doing wolf things!
Varus Montell- Probably blowing himself up with a new bomb
-
Hrafnar
- Posts: 292
- Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 pm
- Location: NYC
Re: How do you shadowdance?
Hey I was hiding in shadows before it was cool... 
-
Hoihe
- Posts: 4719
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Re: How do you shadowdance?
Rhifox wrote:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_magic
"Shadowdancers practiced a form of lesser shadow magic. They did not learn the ability through study, but acquired it instinctively through close association with shadow. Experts and more traditional shadow mages were uncertain as to how this occurred, but it was a matter of ongoing study."
Basically shadowdancers are something like the sorcerers of shadow magic.
*Note shadow magic here refers to magic that uses shadowy stuff that originates from the Plane of Shadow. It is not the Shadow Weave.
I'm going to enlarge Rhifox's small script.
Essentially! Shadowdancers are sort of like bards and sorcerers: They can do magic without the same level of study as wizards. But their magic is extremely limited, as it is an Illusion they do, but it's a special illusion even then - called shadow magic, which produces a Quasi-Real effect. Quasi real meaning, even if you disbelieve it, it will STILL have an effect, just not as powerful.
In order of usage..
1. Shadowdancer does whatever they do to activate shadowdancing. Probably a small rhytmic step or dance-like hand gesture.
2. Enters any of the shadows within 5 feet/drapes themselves in said shadow as if they could grab it.
3. disappears - Magic is gone, it's back to classical sneaking, except when directly observed.
As for shadow step, they skid along the plane of shadow as if shadow walking, but do not immerse themselves fully.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and memories without fail - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.