To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monsters

Moderators: Moderator, DM

User avatar
Hrafnar
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 pm
Location: NYC

To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monsters

Unread post by Hrafnar »

I was wondering how people who play these races expect other characters to react to theirs generally, from an RP standpoint? I know it depends on the individual characters' viewpoints and upbringing, but when I encounter them IG I just have no idea how I should respond to them.
Erlendir Ravensong: Ranger, protector and guide - bio
Tasia Sphaerideion: Bounty hunter, scout and sailor - bio
Kiartan Exiled: Mercenary, exile and son of a traitor - bio
chad878262
Posts: 9332
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by chad878262 »

You should respond how your character would. If your character distrusts Tieflings (and AAsimar for that matter, they're still outsiders!) then do so. If you would be afraid of that walking rock or the guy that looks to be on fire, then act fearful. OOC'ly you should always be nice to other players and it doesn't hurt to send a tell if you feel they may think you're being OOC'ly harsh...Otherwise, I know when I play my tiefling I get excited when others RP mistrust, fear, hatred or what have you. Only played an orc for a bit, mostly because I never saw anyone so much as emote looking at him sideways.

I think most players pick these races to elicit such reactions, not just for PB reasons. Especially if you see an air genasi they would have been better in every way as a tiefling or drow (other than drow ECL), but even otherwise, it's fun to get reactions as well as give them so go for it!
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
User avatar
Flasmix
Posts: 2504
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:22 am
Location: Cult of Skebbeton HQ

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by Flasmix »

My main character is a full Gray-Orc Druid. The most 'hate' I ever get is;
1) People staring suspiciously.
2) One time someone tried to pick a fight. (Key note: Only one time)
3) A couple people throwing out insults.
4) MAJORITY: Ignore my race and just act like I'm normal.

In the first few years of my game play here there was a LOT more hatred for typical evil or suspicious races. What ended up happening is a few people began to cry discrimination and relate it to the real world. People began to distance themselves from any sort of racism because they did not want to hear people complain about it, despite it being completely valid and justified.

I'm guilty of continuing this trend as I find it hilarious to call myself a 'Social Justice Warpriest' who fights for equality for discriminated against Orcs. #OrcLivesMatter

While I dislike PvP, I do wish there would be more hostility and conflict created as a result to playing one of these races. We used to have the ethos of 'Tolerance is Treason' which was done to counter all of the people who wanted to hug and kiss Drow, but that fell off and people still continue to call it one of the most vile things due to the racism. (Despite it being completely valid)
Wirg to Pug: "Iz lat dun?"
Pugratix to a snarky militia man: "Mmmm. Not yet. I will live for hundreds of years and be heralded as one of the greatest forces of destruction on the face of the world. The only thing you can destroy is the outhouse."
User avatar
Hrafnar
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by Hrafnar »

chad878262 wrote:Only played an orc for a bit, mostly because I never saw anyone so much as emote looking at him sideways.

I think most players pick these races to elicit such reactions, not just for PB reasons.
In a PW community I'd want to get the balance right between being true to my character and making a convincing scene, but also not alienating someone. For instance, if there were two players on the server - one was me with my wood elf and the other was an orc I'd still contrive a way for them to party up, somehow.

The other extreme is acting like it's perfectly normal to see gray orcs, tieflings and flame-headed folk wandering the Trade Way. Sometimes I'm just not sure if the player OOCly wants the IC treatment or not, especially if there's no character description.
Flasmix wrote: In the first few years of my game play here there was a LOT more hatred for typical evil or suspicious races. What ended up happening is a few people began to cry discrimination and relate it to the real world. People began to distance themselves from any sort of racism because they did not want to hear people complain about it, despite it being completely valid and justified.
I remember the exact same thing happening on an NWN server I used to play on. I remember thinking: If you wanted to be treated fairly why did you roll a half-orc? Isn't that part of the characters personal narrative and drama? We're telling a story, that's all, and most good stories are about struggle.
Last edited by Hrafnar on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erlendir Ravensong: Ranger, protector and guide - bio
Tasia Sphaerideion: Bounty hunter, scout and sailor - bio
Kiartan Exiled: Mercenary, exile and son of a traitor - bio
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by Hoihe »

Flasmix wrote:My main character is a full Gray-Orc Druid. The most 'hate' I ever get is;
1) People staring suspiciously.
2) One time someone tried to pick a fight. (Key note: Only one time)
3) A couple people throwing out insults.
4) MAJORITY: Ignore my race and just act like I'm normal.

In the first few years of my game play here there was a LOT more hatred for typical evil or suspicious races. What ended up happening is a few people began to cry discrimination and relate it to the real world. People began to distance themselves from any sort of racism because they did not want to hear people complain about it, despite it being completely valid and justified.

I'm guilty of continuing this trend as I find it hilarious to call myself a 'Social Justice Warpriest' who fights for equality for discriminated against Orcs. #OrcLivesMatter

While I dislike PvP, I do wish there would be more hostility and conflict created as a result to playing one of these races. We used to have the ethos of 'Tolerance is Treason' which was done to counter all of the people who wanted to hug and kiss Drow, but that fell off and people still continue to call it one of the most vile things due to the racism. (Despite it being completely valid)

About "real life"...
Code of the Harpers wrote:
  • Harpers work against villainy and wickedness wherever they find it, but they work ever mindful of the consequences of what they do.
  • All beings should walk free of fear, with the right to live their lives as they wish.
  • The rule of law aids peace and fosters freedom, so long as the laws are just and those who enforce them lenient and understanding.
  • No extreme is good. For freedom to flourish, all must be in balance: the powers of realms, the reaches of the cities and the wilderlands into each other, and the influence of one being over another.
  • Whatever it takes, a Harper will do. Pride never rules the deeds of a true Harper.
  • Freedom is a multiversal right, though Harpers can spare themselves less freedom than those they work to protect when the need presents itself.
  • Harpers police their own. A Harper who hears the call of personal power can no longer hear the sweet song of the harp. A Harper who seizes power, and holds it above all else, is a traitor to the harp. Traitors must die for freedom to live.
  • Without a past, no being can appreciate what they have, and where they may be going.
Relevant part emphasized. Is it really "Moden real life morals" or is it simply playing your alignment?
Last edited by Hoihe on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
User avatar
Hrafnar
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by Hrafnar »

Hoihe wrote:Relevant part emphasized. Is it really "Moden real life morals" or is it simply playing your alignment?
Point taken, but we're not all Harpers :) What I understood more by real life is letting IRL and OOC emotions affect IC RP to a great extent.
Erlendir Ravensong: Ranger, protector and guide - bio
Tasia Sphaerideion: Bounty hunter, scout and sailor - bio
Kiartan Exiled: Mercenary, exile and son of a traitor - bio
User avatar
Akroma666
Posts: 1888
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: California

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by Akroma666 »

I am the Storm.. (air genasi)
Storm - The Blade Flurry
Druegar Grizzleclaw - The Mountain Ruin Tsar
Akroma Thuul - The Creepy Enchanter
Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane
Jamie Dawnbringer - The Light in the Darkness
User avatar
Lockonnow
Posts: 3121
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by Lockonnow »

I have a wizard air genasi
User avatar
aaron22
Recognized Donor
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:39 pm
Location: New York

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by aaron22 »

Lockonnow wrote:I have a wizard air genasi
i did too -RIP-
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
User avatar
Juramenta
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by Juramenta »

Hrafnar wrote:
chad878262 wrote: In a PW community I'd want to get the balance right between being true to my character and making a convincing scene, but also not alienating someone. For instance, if there were two players on the server - one was me with my wood elf and the other was an orc I'd still contrive a way for them to party up, somehow.
I think that's a good way to approach it. Back in the day when you did not have so many different races we had loads of fun in pnp games constantly bashing each others race like the elves vs the dwarves. Still you always find a way to still work together.
In a party it makes even more sense. It is a dangerous world out there and if you are not going to work with whoever you are partied up with, then you will most likely end up dead.
Seeing the world is extremely dangerous to freely walk around in.
Grand Frost Touch of the Maiden of Ice - Hazel Jynx - Background
A real man's man - Butch Von Base - background pending

-
Wirg: An famous Orc who steals from humans. He has many incarnations and is known around the world as the best Orc thief.
User avatar
kleomenes
Recognized Donor
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm
Location: Serving the Black Hand

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by kleomenes »

I'm probably a bit guilty with my main of hugging drow, tieflings, orcs and the like. Mind, I consider this as part of lore based Ilmatari RP, given its a faith with an underdark branch, and how by fifth edition the widespread understanding of Ilmatari healing of everyone has reached the point that even orcs consider it taboo to harm a non violent Ilmatari priest, because of the healing they provide to wounded orcs (I admit, when I read this recently I was: :shock: ).

Its certainly not the case that hatred and "racism" are universal in forgotten realms. But I do not think anyone is claiming that.

Intolerance should however be more common than it is. I always mention at this point that there should be more elf/human friction. But its fine, Invoker's playing his mage again, that's intolerance enough for an entire server ( :lol: ). That said, the duty is there on not only the "civilised masses", but also on the players of monstrous/maligned races to assume the RP burden of being treated with hostility and giving cause for it

I will say that with regards to orcs, so often my character meets orcs that are non violent, and not in line with the orcish stereotype at all (Ilmatari, Lathanderites, peaceful negotiators, wizards, he's met them all). The problem there is, if Ameris meets a non violent orc, he's dogma bound to treat the orc fairly (even if he has a distaste for doing so that he suppresses. Like when he deals with elves, or commoners, or people with outie belly buttons, or left handed people, or Amnians).

While my character is effectively a snowflake in this regard (Ilmatari are; Harpers are. He is both, as odd a mix as that is) its a tricky thing as it requires a lot of mature RP.

After all, the logical end of a lot of intolerance RP is often PVP. I have played two characters here whose first response to an orc that is in any way threatening is to meet it with violence first, as they were violent characters themselves. Even more often it leads to exclusion from certain RP scenes and events, sometimes whole plotlines.

That seems to often leave a bad taste, even when its very sensible in IC terms, and while there is a duty in conflict RP to make sure everyone is enjoying it, still, feelings get hurt. Which is why people shy from it with regards to orcs and tieflings, probably? As people remember that one time it didn't go well OOCly not the other times when people quietly were happy that their PC received a lore appropriate reaction.

Perhaps the solution is openly talking about it so people understand that intolerance RP is part of the server / setting narrative and not some sort of OOC attack - the same with religious intolerance and clash of ideals, etc
Last edited by kleomenes on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vadim Morozov, Dreadmaster.
Former Characters: Mel Darenda, Daug'aonar, Dural Narkisi, Cynric Greyfox, Ameris Santraeger, Cosimo Delucca, Talas Marsak.
User avatar
Flasmix
Posts: 2504
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:22 am
Location: Cult of Skebbeton HQ

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by Flasmix »

Hoihe wrote:Relevant part emphasized. Is it really "Moden real life morals" or is it simply playing your alignment?
From an in game perspective, that's the Harper initiative. It's great as a stand alone group who share these beliefs. Dwarves, Elves and Most humans will not share the same beliefs. Again, perfectly acceptable and I encourage it!

However, the mentions of 'real life' come to people making OOC posts on the forums or when faced with somebody who does not like them due to their race, they complain OOCly through tells. There is no alignment when people are using the forums as a platform to express why being discriminated on due to their race is bad.

At that point, it is because nobody wants to deal with the OOC crapstorm that would be started by RPing your character properly. Just do a forum search for 'Racism' or 'Discrimination' and see all the threads asking for people to be more hostile towards questionable races or warlocks or blood mages, etc.
Wirg to Pug: "Iz lat dun?"
Pugratix to a snarky militia man: "Mmmm. Not yet. I will live for hundreds of years and be heralded as one of the greatest forces of destruction on the face of the world. The only thing you can destroy is the outhouse."
User avatar
aaron22
Recognized Donor
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:39 pm
Location: New York

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by aaron22 »

just depends on the character model you created. maybe you want your character to be incredibly racist. i have a character like that. it is just "her" personality. not mine. i make sure that if i do something in game to reveal this unpleasant trait. i correct it ooc. this may be before hand or after. most of the time i get a "its cool. i get it. thanks" but sometimes i do not. i just play my character as best i can. i have gotten in trouble for it, but i still think it was the right play for my character and took the punishments in full awareness.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by Hoihe »

aaron22 wrote:just depends on the character model you created. maybe you want your character to be incredibly racist. i have a character like that. it is just "her" personality. not mine. i make sure that if i do something in game to reveal this unpleasant trait. i correct it ooc. this may be before hand or after. most of the time i get a "its cool. i get it. thanks" but sometimes i do not. i just play my character as best i can. i have gotten in trouble for it, but i still think it was the right play for my character and took the punishments in full awareness.

I did notice that a number of people contact the other in tells or OOC after a confrontation to reassure it's all IC. I dare say it's a good idea!

Conflict RP is practically romantic RP. It has the exact same rules.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
User avatar
aaron22
Recognized Donor
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:39 pm
Location: New York

Re: To all the genasi, celestials, tieflings, spagetti monst

Unread post by aaron22 »

i agree with flasmix 100%. the forgotten realms setting is a world of fear. fear of the gods. fear of monsters. fear of people who oppose you, your beliefs, or your way of life. fear of things that are different and therefor give uncertainty to your well being.

this is not 21st century perception. we have built a sense of security in our life that someone in the FR setting could ever think of achieving. even elminister lived in fear. drizzt.. fear. these are the greatest heroes of our stories.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley

Return to “Archive”