Gnoll Stronghold

Information and Discussion Relating to NWN2 Area Design

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

For when the gnolls get ousted from their cozy home in the future Friendly Arm Inn, is there a plan to make the Gnoll Stronghold from BG1? It'd be a great quest area or something and just plain fun to go into. I expect that it'd take some custom placeables though. These would probably help a good deal:

Rope suspension bridge: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=205

Cliffs: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=418

And of course, something for the fortress itself.... but I don't have any specific suggestions at the moment.


For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here's the screenshot:

Image
Last edited by Sir_Carnifex on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Luna »

Did you just sign up to do it.... :lol:
Trick
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Trick »

the more stuff from BG1 the better :]

how would that work with the level progression, though? its right up against the cloudpeaks, so would we need superpowered gnolls?
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

Luna wrote:Did you just sign up to do it.... :lol:
Actually, provided I can find the proper stuff to use and I could get someone *coughs* to agree to include it in the haks if they are not already there, then yes, I'd take a shot at this.

As for it needing to be a difficult area, I have three solutions:

1. Just because it is near the Cloud Peaks does not mean it has to be on the same level. Actually, it's quite a ways west of where the current section of Cloud Peaks are on the server. A couple maps south of Candlekeep could lead to it and it could be an adventure for lower level PCs to make.

2. As you say, make the gnolls high powered or find some devious method of making the place difficult.

3. Put Gnarl and Hairtooth at the end of the bridge to intimidate adventurers! :lol:
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
Trick
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Trick »

more lower level areas would sure be nice, right now it feels a bit limited
IAmDeathComeForThee
Retired Staff
Posts: 1408
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by IAmDeathComeForThee »

I think south of High Hedge would be a great place to get there from. That area seems kind of a dead spot unless i just havent explored it enough. Maybe another wilderness area in between, that Ocean area with the abandoned lighthouse where the driads used to hang around? I'd tackle that area while you tackle the stronghold if u want. I'd do a custom lighthouse with 3d max or Zbrush to match up with the BG model.

Btw those custom cliffs are awesome!

Speaking of High Hedge, is the interior of that building going to get done?
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

The lighthouse area would make a good jumping point.

The High Hedge interior is already complete and on the server as we type.
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
IAmDeathComeForThee
Retired Staff
Posts: 1408
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by IAmDeathComeForThee »

Is it? When i went there it was locked so i just automatically assumed it was incomplete. Guess I should have tried casting knock :lol:
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Luna »

What are you lacking that you need to build this?

Walls? Ramparts? Other?
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

I haven't looked at stuff closely, but I'm not sure that the toolset has anything to make the walls. I know there was some sort of hak that had castle walls as well, but I only looked at the screenshots.
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
Trick
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Trick »

You could probably build nearly any fort you wanted with this stuff:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=310

dunno if BGTSCC has that yet, though
IAmDeathComeForThee
Retired Staff
Posts: 1408
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by IAmDeathComeForThee »

WOW, my jaw has literally dropped to the floor. That looks like an amazing tool... :shock:
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

Trick wrote:You could probably build nearly any fort you wanted with this stuff:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=310

dunno if BGTSCC has that yet, though
That is the one I glanced at. I'm wondering if I get that stuff in a brownish/tan color...
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
Trick
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Trick »

They look tintable. I was also using another one labeled "medieval city hak" or something, but i couldnt find it on the vault.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Gnoll Stronghold

Unread post by Luna »

Sir_Carnifex wrote:
Trick wrote:You could probably build nearly any fort you wanted with this stuff:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=310

dunno if BGTSCC has that yet, though
That is the one I glanced at. I'm wondering if I get that stuff in a brownish/tan color...
So lets say hypothetically we have the generic version for the link you posted (not the gothic or classis).

And we have this one.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=183


What do ya think.. is that enough?


[EDIT]
Trick wrote:They look tintable. I was also using another one labeled "medieval city hak" or something, but i couldnt find it on the vault.
And lets say we have this one to....

I dug up the link
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=299

Return to “NWN2 Area Design”