Break in pvp rules or not?

Moderators: Moderator, DM

User avatar
DonnieDreams
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:03 pm

Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by DonnieDreams »

I was playing minding my own business, trying to give my character a new look, when this guy comes up and starts getting rather rude. Demands my money right in front of Blunt. A few words were said.

This guy is obviously way higher than I am, i have no chance to beat him. But before I even have the chance to agree to give him gold or try to run away, he attacks me.

I recover, then he attacks me again, and somehow take gold.... I'm thinking the sleight of hand skill but i'm not sure.

I have a screen shot, though it's really only after the fight and just of the chat log, i had no time to take a screen shot of the fight. He practically one shot me.

Just wondering if this is a break in pvp rules, or am I just upset because I got my rear end handed to me and it hurt my pride?
Manus FireStone: Dwarven Warpriest of Clangeddin
Sputnik
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:02 am

Re: Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by Sputnik »

This player broke many rules, yes. Definitely send a report in to the DM/HDM team.
Francis 'Frank' Waynn - City Watch Recruit
Tytos Lyonson - Ebon Blade Sergeant
Vaelen - Proprietor of Derringer Mercantile, hedge-wizard, politician
User avatar
Mork
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Re: Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by Mork »

Since you're asking on public forum and not in PM to DM team I assume you're ready to take different opinions.
I was playing minding my own business, trying to give my character a new look, when this guy comes up and starts getting rather rude
At this point remember its a character that was "getting rather rude".
This guy is obviously way higher than I am, i have no chance to beat him. But before I even have the chance to agree to give him gold or try to run away, he attacks me.
Not sure how long it took but unless you just standed there doing nothing for a really long moment then yea - he broke pvp rules.
Just wondering if this is a break in pvp rules, or am I just upset because I got my rear end handed to me and it hurt my pride?
Lets start with one thing - if it hurt your pride then no matter rule breaking PvP or not you're doing something wrong.
Even if that player chose a poor method of initiating pvp, probably metagamed checking your level before on scry tool, and from what you're describing roleplayed poorly you still have an option to do better. I'd start with taking a screenshot of his description and character model at the time, find some mercs/bodyguards to chase him, even go to a tavern drinking and loudly complaining about safety of the roads if its something your character would do. Yea - he probably did wrong (hard to say without screens) but just consider how nice it would be dealing with it IC instead taking DM-s time just cause you (not your character) have hard feelings after it.

Unless we're dealing with pure brain-dead troll (that just does such things straight out to be banned cause of boredom and It's his way to saying goodbye to a server) you have a chance to do better here.
Deal with your emotions and see if you can make a new plot out of it, or at least occasion for some RP. Consider thinking about such players as a drop of realism and danger in this world and remember its not a story about your char always being a hero.

Ask yourself - do you really find enjoyment in a world so safe for your characters? Who knows if we'll show server staff that we can have fun in PvP without being butt-hurt every time then just perhaps they'll consider adjusting some rules?
Last edited by Mork on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Endelyon
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 am

Re: Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by Endelyon »

Initiating a PVP in the BG Eastern Farmlands without DM supervision, regardless of the circumstances that surrounded it, is indeed a major breach of the rules in terms of godmodding NPCs.

Please send your screenshot and a detailed description of what happened to the DM team if you mean to file this as a complaint against that player.
User avatar
Tekill
Recognized Donor
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 am
Location: BC, Canada

Re: Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by Tekill »

Yeah that sucks, DonnieDreams- looks like you have been officially ganked. Never fun. :o

Hmmm...you know this is a really weird coincidence- I mentioned you in a thread in support of pvp. About your idea regarding the heroes and villians fight club....strange coincidence indeed.... :?

You know what?!
I think I figured out what happened- its a frame up!
Some anti-pvp jerk attacked you- attacked the face, the hero of the pvp resistance movement, in order to prove pvp is wrong and to have it shut down forever!
Its a conspiracy I tells yah!
You cant let them win- rise from the ashes - and get back in there - prove that getting pvp'd is not that bad and you will survive. Do it for your fellow pvp'ers! It is your destiny...
:mrgreen:



:geek:
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
User avatar
aaron22
Recognized Donor
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:39 pm
Location: New York

Re: Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by aaron22 »

*raps his fingers on the table and ponders who this anti-pvper could be that pvp'd a pvper*
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
User avatar
Nemni
Retired Staff
Posts: 965
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 3:10 am

Re: Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by Nemni »

The situation seems unusually clear cut; the bandit was breaking the rules. But what if...

From the rules:
Once PvP starts, third parties already in the same map can engage without preliminaries.
Does this mean that if my char was around to see this happen, I could attack the bandit in this scenario freely? For any and all IC reason? Even if this means attacking someone in patrolled lands?

What if the OP's char fought back and my char misread the situation and attacked him instead? Would that also be valid since the battle had already started?
User avatar
Nyeleni
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1432
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Catalonia

Re: Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by Nyeleni »

I would say no, as the whole situation was godmodded so didn't actually happen. Thus I wouldn't want to be involved.

Better to let the powers untangle this mess.
Truman Capote, Breakfast At Tiffany's
"... - it's better to look at the sky than live there. Such an empty place; so vague. Just a country where the thunder goes and things disappear."
User avatar
K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra »

aaron22 wrote:*raps his fingers on the table and ponders who this anti-pvper could be that pvp'd a pvper*
I'd love to say it was me, but the problem is I don't even have a high level character. Also I never break rules because I just wouldn't feel save doing it :D :D :D
K'yon Oblodra
Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy
User avatar
DonnieDreams
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by DonnieDreams »

I was looking over the pvp rules, and since i did try to initiate hips before he attacked me the first time it would have been considered a hostile action. So, not to worried about it. No loss in xp so no harm no foul I guess.
Endelyon wrote: if you mean to file this as a complaint against that player.
Not complaining against the player just yet. Have no problem with the pvp.... guess the frustration is due to how he handled it. My character Danny did do a little bit of insulting.
Tekill wrote: I mentioned you in a thread in support of pvp. About your idea regarding the heroes and villians fight club
understand that I am in no way supporting trolling with a high lvl character with the fight club. and all forms of pvp for heros vs villians would be according to the rules set forth for pvp.
Endelyon wrote:Please send your screenshot and a detailed description of what happened to the DM team if you mean to file this as a complaint against that player.
Again, not complaining about the guy ,this time. what really "ticked me off" is when i said I hadn't consented to pvp he insulted me personally. That got me hot blooded. But I will keep my finger on the screen shot button if something like this happens again. I like the idea of player versus player, but I think there is a big difference between engaging in pvp Role play, and just being a jerk.

thanks for all the replies guys.
Manus FireStone: Dwarven Warpriest of Clangeddin
User avatar
Arn
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: Break in pvp rules or not?

Unread post by Arn »

Endelyon wrote:Initiating a PVP in the BG Eastern Farmlands without DM supervision, regardless of the circumstances that surrounded it, is indeed a major breach of the rules in terms of godmodding NPCs.
Hi, just wondering if this can be added to the DM Rulings thread, or somewhere more easily found. I've been around for a few years, and I was still unsure of the ruling on this issue (since the nearest guards to the campfire are kind of distant, etc. etc.) Would help to clarify things!
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.146))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

((Feel free to reach out to Mi-Le for RP!))

Wendi - The Witch of the Wide. [Bio]
Samuel
Meredith

Return to “Archive”