Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
Moderators: Moderator, DM
-
Babuguuscooties
- Posts: 496
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 pm
Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
I have 3 languages I can learn, but obviously I want them to all make IC sense. So with that in mind would it be possible for a wizard to learn a language like infernal, celestial etc? How would they do it exactly?
I play Nedrin <3
-
Sun Wukong
- Posts: 2837
- Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:05 pm
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
Magical rituals to imbed the knowledge into their heads? Talking to critters that the mage has summoned to learn their tongue? (Language.)
Now, considering how Celestial language can be used for religious sermons, etc...
Now, considering how Celestial language can be used for religious sermons, etc...
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
-
Mallore
- Posts: 458
- Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:08 am
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
Babuguuscooties wrote:I have 3 languages I can learn, but obviously I want them to all make IC sense. So with that in mind would it be possible for a wizard to learn a language like infernal, celestial etc? How would they do it exactly?
Well for starters,
Every time you Bump your Int permanently by 2, so levels say 8 and 16, you will be promoted to chose an additional language. So your character will naturally through game play learn 2 more, assuming all your stat bumps are into Int.
Secondly sometimes the DMs offer out human regional bonus languages with a completed Character Bio.
Maybe these two things will help a bit.
Jane of Here and There (Jane Price)
...also
Jennifer and A Drow.
...also
Jennifer and A Drow.
-
Babuguuscooties
- Posts: 496
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 pm
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
Mallore wrote:Babuguuscooties wrote:I have 3 languages I can learn, but obviously I want them to all make IC sense. So with that in mind would it be possible for a wizard to learn a language like infernal, celestial etc? How would they do it exactly?
Well for starters,
Every time you Bump your Int permanently by 2, so levels say 8 and 16, you will be promoted to chose an additional language. So your character will naturally through game play learn 2 more, assuming all your stat bumps are into Int.
Secondly sometimes the DMs offer out human regional bonus languages with a completed Character Bio.
Maybe these two things will help a bit.
Sorry, I didnt clarify. I know how to mechnically learn the languages. I just don't know how to learn something like infernal from a roleplay stand-point. Is it a language you can just learn from a book, etc? Is there a rosetta stone program in faerun?
I play Nedrin <3
-
Glowfire
- Posts: 1813
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:14 am
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
IMO book learning can get you far but for proper pronunciations you'd probably want to have your character learn from someone. Phonetics do likely help but speaking a language makes sense for fluency.
Characters do not spring out of nothing and nowhere. Create some background NPCs who were your character's teachers etc.
My drow had other drow he could learn from but he learned more of abyssal and infernal by actually talking to outsiders. They can be somewhat complicated languages. For example, infernal has four castes.
Characters do not spring out of nothing and nowhere. Create some background NPCs who were your character's teachers etc.
My drow had other drow he could learn from but he learned more of abyssal and infernal by actually talking to outsiders. They can be somewhat complicated languages. For example, infernal has four castes.
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
Friedrich von Schiller
-
Babuguuscooties
- Posts: 496
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 pm
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
That's fine, but who would teach someone infernal? I doubt its something you can just take a class on.Glowfire wrote:IMO book learning can get you far but for proper pronunciations you'd probably want to have your character learn from someone. Phonetics do likely help but speaking a language makes sense for fluency.
Characters do not spring out of nothing and nowhere. Create some background NPCs who were your character's teachers etc.
My drow had other drow he could learn from but he learned more of abyssal and infernal by actually talking to outsiders. They can be somewhat complicated languages. For example, infernal has four castes.
I play Nedrin <3
-
Sun Wukong
- Posts: 2837
- Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:05 pm
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
You summon an imp, and force it to teach... 
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
-
Wandering_Woodsman
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:34 pm
- Location: The Phoenix Company Forge
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
My smith Toman has had a lot of dealings lately with dwarves, and, he thinks, has also been insulted repeatedly by them. He'd LOVE to learn the language for obvious reasons.
But, just clicking a button and saying "Aha, now I know the language!" doesn't really appeal to me. I'd love to be able to learn it IC.
But, just clicking a button and saying "Aha, now I know the language!" doesn't really appeal to me. I'd love to be able to learn it IC.
"Now see, that's good information there. For a second, I thought you'd just met a chicken god."
Toman Ironarm
- Blacksmith of the Phoenix Company
You know, only on the Coast would that have needed to be said.
Toman Ironarm
- Blacksmith of the Phoenix Company
You know, only on the Coast would that have needed to be said.
-
Glowfire
- Posts: 1813
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:14 am
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
Why wouldn't you be able to be tutored in infernal? Even goodly characters might know that language, to better understand their foes. IE a cleric who investigates fiendish cults.
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
Friedrich von Schiller
-
Babuguuscooties
- Posts: 496
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 pm
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
Glowfire wrote:Why wouldn't you be able to be tutored in infernal? Even goodly characters might know that language, to better understand their foes. IE a cleric who investigates fiendish cults.
I agree with you tbh. Like how gandalf knew the black speech of mordor and all that jazz. I just didnt want to do learn it in a way that felt unnatural to my character.
I play Nedrin <3
-
kellendril
- Posts: 992
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 am
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
I'd love for additional languages to be RP only, personally. its not like you suddenly know how to read Chinese, for example.
Eowiel Le'liana - Formerly Respected Councilor/Citizen of Doron Amar, now Disrespected Free Agent
Merry Angalagaleil - Strongheart Halfling Sacred Fist
Merry Angalagaleil - Strongheart Halfling Sacred Fist
-
Babuguuscooties
- Posts: 496
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 pm
Re: Is it possible to learn certain languages IC?
kellendril wrote:I'd love for additional languages to be RP only, personally. its not like you suddenly know how to read Chinese, for example.
I'm okay with it being left up to the players since the nature of this server doesn't appear to be too overbearing with these kind of RP choices.
However, I personally have 3 additional languages I've had just sitting there since level 1 because I haven't found a use for them. I'd love to find some IC ways to make use of those language slots. Still searching, and waiting!
I play Nedrin <3