Feat Substitute and Other question

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
Blackrose
Recognized Donor
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Feat Substitute and Other question

Unread post by Blackrose »

Hi.

I have a Drow Wizard Named Graax. I created this wizard more than 4 years ago.
I'm Pale Master 10 - Wizard 13 and Arcane Scholar 3.

I have 2 Feats wich I took, one for Roleplaying purpose at the time and 1 for PvM purpose wich are:

Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Spell Focus (Evocation) - More damage in monsters).

But since this year, I read in forums that Spell Focus Necromancy gives +1HD to undead monsters, wich I did not know. So my question is: Can I substitute a Spell focus (Evocation) to Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy), since I already got the feat Spell Focus (Necromancy).

The feat years ago, when I took it, didn't give anything more than a +1DC to necromancy spells vs save (like finger of death), wich is not a good thing alone. Buy now it may be interesting, expecially with PM 10.


The other question:

Pale Master don't give all levels +1 to wizard spells, wich happens to frustate some spells from my wizard agaisnt Spell Resistant monsters, that's because i'm not all the levels wizard 13 Wizard + 10 PM and 3 ASoC is something like 22 Wizard to Spell Resistant issues. (1d20 + Wizard Levels vs Spell Resistance as I remember). So I took Practicioned Spellcaster (Wizard) in order to surpass Spell Resistance and spell damage/time. Am I right?


Thank you.
Graax, Necromancer Drow
Ul'Dragaz, half drow
User avatar
DM Ditto
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: Feat Substitute and Other question

Unread post by DM Ditto »

For the first question, chances are you will have to RCR. Documented long-term roleplay submitted to the DM Team may get you a shot at a 75% RCR but it’s not given often (somewhat of an understatement).

That being said, I would recommend confirming the case that Spell Focus (Necromancy) affects summoned undead first. AFAIK it’s only supposed to affect necromancy spell DCs for overcoming saves but it’s possible this was changed or an otherwise hidden function of the feat.


To answer your second question, Practiced Spellcaster simply makes you be considered to be up to four levels higher for the purposes of spells and effects dependent on level (such as duration, damage rolls, etc). Spell Resistance may be included in that mix, but I haven’t played a spellcaster explicitly built to penetrate Spell Resistance in a long time so I can be wrong.

For Pale Master only six of its ten levels advance spellcasting. So your build is considered to only have 22 wizard levels for the purposes of spellcasting, yes.

If Spell Resistance is an issue I would suggest the Spell Penetration feats, which add a bonus to your capability to overcome Spell Resistance. Mordenkainen’s Disjunction lowers Spell Resistance on top of attempting to dispel magical effects, but it’s a level 9 spell IIRC. Alternatively you can look into spells that ignore Spell Resistance.


I would suggest consulting the Tips and Tricks subforum for more information as there are players there who will know the mechanics better than me! :P But I hope this helps.
Forum Rules | Server Rules | PvP Rules

Text in pink is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the DM Team in general!

Return to “Questions for DMs”