How to roleplay dwarf speech?
Moderators: Moderator, DM
-
Quidix
- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:35 pm
- Location: London, UK
How to roleplay dwarf speech?
Quite new around here, and I'm thinking of making a dwarf. I've read a fair about their background and culture, but I'm unsure of the expectations of how they are to be roleplayed in terms of speech.
To be more precise, is it good practice to simply write the RP in regular English, or is one expected to make in more 'dwarven accent'? (a terrible example to illustrate what I mean: "Morning, where can a lad get a drink around here?" vs "Morn' to ye, ye ken where a lad cou' get a drink around here?")
If the latter, I'll probably have to chose another race I'm afraid.
To be more precise, is it good practice to simply write the RP in regular English, or is one expected to make in more 'dwarven accent'? (a terrible example to illustrate what I mean: "Morning, where can a lad get a drink around here?" vs "Morn' to ye, ye ken where a lad cou' get a drink around here?")
If the latter, I'll probably have to chose another race I'm afraid.
Characters: Delphine Rosewood | Olivia Dawngale | Thurdin Stonebrew
-
Aspect of Sorrow
- Custom Content
- Posts: 2699
- Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:11 pm
- Location: Reliquary
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
It's up to the player, though many just grab their favorite scottsman literature to emulate.
-
burbles
- Posts: 241
- Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:29 am
- Location: Russiа, UTC/GMT+4
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
I actualy had that question mese.. myself. Whatever suits your dwarf, most do fine with a few 'scottish' words and an attitude.
I put on my robe and a wizard hat...
-
Flasmix
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:22 am
- Location: Cult of Skebbeton HQ
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
I'm a fan of the Italian Dwarf.
"Mama Mia! Itsa big orc."
"Mama Mia! Itsa big orc."
Wirg to Pug: "Iz lat dun?"
Pugratix to a snarky militia man: "Mmmm. Not yet. I will live for hundreds of years and be heralded as one of the greatest forces of destruction on the face of the world. The only thing you can destroy is the outhouse."
Pugratix to a snarky militia man: "Mmmm. Not yet. I will live for hundreds of years and be heralded as one of the greatest forces of destruction on the face of the world. The only thing you can destroy is the outhouse."
-
Thorsson
- Posts: 1293
- Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 pm
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
That would be nae fun at all, ye blatherin bampot. Must be oot yer tree.chambordini wrote:I'd do the former and just explain in your character's description what kind of accent they have.
Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it
-
mrm3ntalist
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 7846
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:31 pm
- Location: US of A
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
There are no rules on this matter. Remember, you cant make everyone happy, so in cases like that do whatever is fun for you.Quidix wrote:Quite new around here, and I'm thinking of making a dwarf. I've read a fair about their background and culture, but I'm unsure of the expectations of how they are to be roleplayed in terms of speech.
To be more precise, is it good practice to simply write the RP in regular English, or is one expected to make in more 'dwarven accent'? (a terrible example to illustrate what I mean: "Morning, where can a lad get a drink around here?" vs "Morn' to ye, ye ken where a lad cou' get a drink around here?")
If the latter, I'll probably have to chose another race I'm afraid.
Mendel - Ranger, Harper, Villi | Malaggar Tiabbar - The Crimson Chord |Elias Raemir The Unyielding Aegis | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus
-
Thorsson
- Posts: 1293
- Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 pm
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
Not IMNSHO. There is endless fun to be had as you can have people guessing what is real scots dialect and what you just made up on the spot.chambordini wrote:The latter is, granted just for the first five minutes, after those it gets really old.Thorsson wrote:That would be nae fun at all, ye blatherin bampot. Must be oot yer tree.chambordini wrote:I'd do the former and just explain in your character's description what kind of accent they have.
Och, yer wee hootie!
Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it
-
Steve
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 8196
- Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:42 am
- Location: Paradise in GMT +1
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
"The book Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson strongly influenced Dungeons & Dragons, having a dwarf named Hugi with a Scottish accent. Most popular portrayals of dwarves feature such an accent."
Tresca, Michael J. (November 2010). "One: The Lord of the Rings". The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games.
Tresca, Michael J. (November 2010). "One: The Lord of the Rings". The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games.
Jon Smythe - The Book of....
Essaar Arkae - True Essential Servant
Tsarzyn Ek'cla - Superiority Supreme
Khelboros Wyrmstone
-
Arn
- Posts: 906
- Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:44 pm
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
Don't worry, dwarves don't need to have Scottish accents or anything, even though a lot of them end up speaking that way on the server. You can RP your dwarf however you want. 
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.146))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]
((Feel free to reach out to Mi-Le for RP!))
Wendi - The Witch of the Wide. [Bio]
Samuel
Meredith
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]
((Feel free to reach out to Mi-Le for RP!))
Wendi - The Witch of the Wide. [Bio]
Samuel
Meredith
-
Hammer_Song
- Posts: 186
- Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:43 pm
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
This. Not sure when and where it all started. My dwarf speaks with a mixture Scottish/Aussie with a good deal of slang and shortened words or lazy pronounciation (kinda like Aussie I guess). Not all dwarves need to be beer guzzling, burping, farting morons either. Many are loyal, trustworthy, honourable sorts who let gods, king, clan and kin drive their motivations.Arn wrote:Don't worry, dwarves don't need to have Scottish accents or anything, even though a lot of them end up speaking that way on the server. You can RP your dwarf however you want.
Also, JOIN KRAAK HELZAK ... the orcs and elves on the server are getting a bit uppity! Contact myself, Steve, or maybe even Mrm3ntalist in game.
Relnor Ironfaar - Silver Defender of Clan Ironfaar
Background - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=55066
Bramdur Ironfaar - War Chanter of Kraak Helzak
Background - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=55066
Bramdur Ironfaar - War Chanter of Kraak Helzak
-
Thorsson
- Posts: 1293
- Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 pm
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
BTW great book. In fact great writer who sadly seems rather forgotten these days.Steve wrote:"The book Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson strongly influenced Dungeons & Dragons, having a dwarf named Hugi with a Scottish accent. Most popular portrayals of dwarves feature such an accent."
Oh and there's a lot to be said for burping and farting - better out than in I say - although Thorsson Rokkfast is even more prone to spitting. *spits*
Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it
-
DreWalker
- Posts: 253
- Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:43 am
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
How about French?Flasmix wrote:I'm a fan of the Italian Dwarf.
"Mama Mia! Itsa big orc."
"Zut alore! Someone stop tis drow from urting moi!"
Irrtana-Yathrin
Draya- surviving
Draya- surviving
-
Thorsson
- Posts: 1293
- Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 pm
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
French Dwarf in a (Wine) Bar: "Pretentious? Moi?" *pet*
Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it
-
Dagesh
- Posts: 891
- Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:03 pm
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
I have found that a well timed fart can work wonders for RP.Thorsson wrote:BTW great book. In fact great writer who sadly seems rather forgotten these days.Steve wrote:"The book Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson strongly influenced Dungeons & Dragons, having a dwarf named Hugi with a Scottish accent. Most popular portrayals of dwarves feature such an accent."
Oh and there's a lot to be said for burping and farting - better out than in I say - although Thorsson Rokkfast is even more prone to spitting. *spits*
ουκ εστιν ωδε, ηγερθη γαρ καθως ειπεν
PCs:
Rorick Runegraph (Check out Rorick's Rune of Light)
Ckalthea Chenfur
Aeric
Squire Brevin of Lathander
PCs:
Rorick Runegraph (Check out Rorick's Rune of Light)
Ckalthea Chenfur
Aeric
Squire Brevin of Lathander
-
Quidix
- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:35 pm
- Location: London, UK
Re: How to roleplay dwarf speech?
Thanks for the comment everyone!
Characters: Delphine Rosewood | Olivia Dawngale | Thurdin Stonebrew