Lunar Cycles, temperatures

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Lunar Cycles, temperatures

Unread post by Hoihe »

Hello!

I'm wondering what's a good source to refer to expected current temperature and lunar phase in a way that will lead to the largest amount of people agreeing. I found for lunar phases, consulting IC calendars to often lead to disagreements.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
User avatar
DM Soulcatcher
DM
Posts: 8809
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Always in Your Shadow

Re: Lunar Cycles, temperatures

Unread post by DM Soulcatcher »

Could you unpack more what you're looking for? Specific temperatures in months or general weather? As for lunar cycles, are you looking for a calendar of them for FR or something else?
~All Their Days are Numbered~
~Campaign Coordinator for 1353DR, 1354DR and 1355DR Metaplot~
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Lunar Cycles, temperatures

Unread post by Hoihe »

For Lunar Cycles, I'm looking for what is the go to source for DMs for anything moon-related.

Personally, I go for https://www.wizards.com/dnd/fc/index.htm# , but considering tonight is a lunar eclipse IRL, I am wondering whether IRL or a semi-obscure calendar tool would be used.

Basically, I'm asking - if I was going to RP moon related stuff (be it needing DM or not), which calendar is safer to choose? IRL: We got Full Moon + Lunar Eclipse. IC: Waning Gibbous (full moon almost a week)

As for temperature, a general description for seasons/areas. This more applies to winter months, seeing how we don't get snow due to the enormous effort it'd require to identify which maps are applicable and then change them accordingly.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
User avatar
DM Soulcatcher
DM
Posts: 8809
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Always in Your Shadow

Re: Lunar Cycles, temperatures

Unread post by DM Soulcatcher »

Information regarding climates and weathers you can obtain in: Forgotten Realms Adventures, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast/Baldur's Gate/Dalelands/Whatever, Forgotten Realms Campaign Settings. For Amn I recommend "Lands of Intrigue".

Edit: For example, the Western Heartlands are notable for heavy snowfalls in the winter, which is the reason why cities like Berdusk have very well developed sewer system, apparently.

As for Lunar Cycles, there's no established "What to go by" by the DM Team or any such. There's no actual lunar calendar made for Forgotten Realms in any official material either. I'm afraid I can't give you a blanket statement that "We use this for our PW", but what I can say is that I personally always used our IRL lunar calendar for current year.
~All Their Days are Numbered~
~Campaign Coordinator for 1353DR, 1354DR and 1355DR Metaplot~

Return to “Questions for DMs”