Playing Svirfneblin

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Khazrak
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:58 pm

Playing Svirfneblin

Unread post by Khazrak »

I'd like more info about the Svirfneblin on this server, those that are not associated with Sshamath. I've heard mention of dwarves and svirfs having a relationship of sorts on BGTSCC? I'd like to know more, and whether a svirf character can get dependable RP with surface dwarf buddies if that is the case, if there's any solid plot going on between the two factions, etc.

I'd also like to generally know what the situation is like playing a Svirfneblin character in this server's UD. The last time I played, Sshamath was the only real UD hub.

EDIT: Also, I know it's possible to put hair on female svirfneblin in-game, but I seem to remember most Svirfs being bald. True, or not so for this server?
User avatar
Tekill
Recognized Donor
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 am
Location: BC, Canada

Re: Playing Svirfneblin

Unread post by Tekill »

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=56455

The dwarves my Svirv has met have been very interested in RP. I think the dwarves see the svirvs as distant cousin when they see one of us. We both love mining and working the stone. Also Rockrun kicked Duergar butts on this server. Something the dwarves above would respect.

But the problem is, the Dwarves are a surface race and the Svirvs are an underdark race. So its hard to team up with the dwarves for RP/grinding/adventuring etc. Even the door/transition connecting the dwarven city with the tunnels of the upperdark is blocked/turned off.

There is not a lot of Svirvs in game. Some folk have an alt they play once in awhile. I play mine almost as a main but even then Im only on once or twice a week. The trick is either knowing some others you can all plan on playing together, or make a svirv that can roll with the drow, like I did.

You should really know the history of Rockrun. Rockrun is unlike other Deep Gnome cities. Most of these cities are hidden from all but its citizens as a means of protecting themselves from the other underdark races/monsters. Rockrun on the otherhand was once a duergar fortress and its only illusion conceals/hides it from others. The citizens are much more militant in Rockrun in terms of protecting the city. But the city allows trade and foriegn visitors/guests into the city. The underdark knows about its existance and so does the surface...normally a normal Svirv would be crapping his pants if he/she new others new about his/her city. But not Rockrun...they are made of tougher stuff than your regular Svirv.

Rockrun is a hub in the Upperdark where folk from the surface and from the underdark can both visit. Cool idea but nobody really goes there. Still you will probably find more players from other races there than you would Svirv players.

I think the lore on Male Svirvs is that they do not have hair on thier heads. But not everyone who rolls one is aware of this knowledge. So not all Deep Gnome players are playing their males as bald. My Deep Gnome is bald, but I dont freak out when others are not.

If you want to be unique, then a Svirfneblin is a good way to go, as you will be one of a kind.
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
Khazrak
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:58 pm

Re: Playing Svirfneblin

Unread post by Khazrak »

Very cool info on Rockrun! I have a character I may re-use or that I may RCR and turn into a new svirf. I'll get in touch with you later about that, if that's cool.

Do you have more detail on the relationship between Sshamath and Rockrun? Are there Drow agents trying to undermine the gnome city? Also, since surfacers can visit the place, is there more acknowledgement of Svirfneblin NOT being terrible monsters on the surface than before?
I think the lore on Male Svirvs is that they do not have hair on thier heads. But not everyone who rolls one is aware of this knowledge. So not all Deep Gnome players are playing their males as bald. My Deep Gnome is bald, but I dont freak out when others are not.
Does this apply to female svirfs as well? I thought it did - I'm considering a female deep gnome. Still debating classes and such.
User avatar
Tekill
Recognized Donor
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 am
Location: BC, Canada

Re: Playing Svirfneblin

Unread post by Tekill »

-Yeah feel free to touch base with me regarding anything Svirv related. Would be cool to have some fresh blood around Rockrun.

-My gnome has been spying on Sshamath for Rockrun since day one.
He has discovered that the drow have been involved in a lot of infighting lately. The conclave is still powerful but the warring families have weakened the city as a whole. The numbers are fewer than they could be and thier sights are focused internally. This could make them dangerous in the near future, as all they need is one person to take charge and turn thier focus outwards. This has not happened lately so Rockrun has been living in relative peace.

-I am not sure about open trade between the two cities, but individuals from both cities trade openly or are interested in growing trade. Same goes for the dwarven city. There is probably trade already in practice but there are opportunities to create more. Svirvs trade with who they can, including the evil races. Usually they will meet in a neutral safe spot to make a trade.

-Svirvs are very rare even amoung UD'ers, and even then they usually would prefer to stay hidden than be social. It is one reason they tend to sort of get lumped in with the other evil/dangerous UD races/monsters. Guilt by association I suppose. They are so rarely seen and when they do they tend to be sort of spooky, skulking around the UD. They are also a very suspicious race and not overly friendly bunch (low chr) which doesnt help their reputation very much.

-Being an UD race I think we still are KoS on the surface if I recall the PVP rules correctly. But I am not as worried wandering around as i would be as an orc or drow. Still, its more dangerous then a Tiefling or Horc....although Horc's are always having a hard time from others. On the flip side you could be in just as much trouble wandering near Sshamath as a non drow. But that is just the price of living the life of a Svirv....just keep your head down and dont make eye contact and you should be fine.

-The female Svirvs have hair.

-Interesting fact, about Deep Gnomes. They do not have a sense of time. No seasons, no day/night, no cycles... no measurment of time.
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
User avatar
TheKai
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1096
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:53 pm
Location: Paradise

Re: Playing Svirfneblin

Unread post by TheKai »

Sorry for the threadomancy, but you two still running your svirfs?
"Are you Thor? God of Hammers?"
User avatar
Tekill
Recognized Donor
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 am
Location: BC, Canada

Re: Playing Svirfneblin

Unread post by Tekill »

My svirf is semi retired as I started a new UD toon. But if there is any Svirf RP going on, then let me know!
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:27 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan

Re: Playing Svirfneblin

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

I have been playing a svirf for a while now. Didn't know he was supposed to be bald. The RP is fun but most players will not take a gnome seriously. Especially because my svirf asks lots of questions while on the surface like "what's a mountain?" and "who is time?".
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
User avatar
Jepop
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:43 am

Re: Playing Svirfneblin

Unread post by Jepop »

AlwaysSummer Day wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:01 am "who is time?".
This gave me a hearty chuckle. :lol:
Lerbo Nuggetneck- Svirfneblin Miner and Fisherman
Rikki Richfoot- Hin Locksmith and Appraiser
Harjo Crimsonhart- Dead?
JIŘÍ
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Re: Playing Svirfneblin

Unread post by JIŘÍ »

If your svirf feels lonely in UD travels feel free to reach out for my Ssapshalee.
Discord contact: Haf#6089

Return to “Archive”