Developer Applications

For Those That Would Like to Help Keep Our Community Running

Moderator: Moderator

User avatar
walpurgisknight
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:49 am

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by walpurgisknight »

Hi, I was discussing this on some other thread.

I'm mainly a visual artist-writer who is smart enough to self-educate in scripting but I lack motivation towards rote activity.

I heard you need area reworks and I need stuff to occupy my time with as I plug away at improving my social media contacts in trying to further my career as a writer-artist sort of person.

I'm familiar enough with the toolset from working with both NWN1 and 2 back up to 2009. Towards the end I was building areas for a PW called KOW. It stood for Knights of Winterhaven. I helped them in a few ways, like encouraging the main dude behind it to reduce xp awards so that he didn't have a revolving door of players that swooped to level 20 and then left. I made little scripts back then that were pretty efficient that made things like wandering monster effects - a trigger that activated one of a set of encounter triggers randomly using the setactiveflag command or whatever that's called; as well as a script that emulated the 3.5 rules of trap disarm mechanisms when they hadn't implemented respawning traps yet - basically I used the same setactiveflag and a search check trigger which would turn a placeable like a statue or torch into a trap disarm mechanism. I don't know if you can still find them since the old vault is gone and I don't have those files anymore. My areas were an island full of demon worshipping cultists and a haunted forest mansion full of werewolves and undead that was an homage to a obscure 1st ed DnD module by Judge's Guild written by Paul Jacquays.

Anyway, so I just really enjoy making aesthetic areas and am actually a writer who is, like I said - trying to network until I get a literary agent. I could send you some erfs of areas that Ive made since I mentioned in another post one thing I feel might help you all a lot is reduction of *trees* haha. Just lemme know where to send erfs to.
Faceless
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:26 am

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by Faceless »

Hello there!

I am interested in area development! In Neverwinter Nights my friend and I worked as a team to develop an Underdark setting consisting of 500 areas, all of which we tailored to be as lore friendly, and unique as possible. With recreation of many underdark cities based on descriptions that we could find from all Canon and solid fanbase. They realistic features as well as some fun twists in the way of wild magic. My friend took care of most scripting aspects that were not strictly environmental, a skill I am seeking to pick up here soon.

My main part in this project was the physical; sound, encounter placement, ambience, as well as creating intriguing areas for those places that changed from time to time.

I am also very familiar with a great many surface aspects as well, my focus has just been on the Underdark as I love complexity

I am currently refamiliarizing myself with the toolset, but it'll only take a little bit to get back up to par for the most part.

I've a strong background in DnD for over a decade now as well as access to the minds of three people who have been playing or involved in Forgotten Realms since it was public around 1987.

I am newer to the server, but I am an enormous fan of the Underdark and it's interactions with the surface.

I think I can bring a lot to this server in my field.

Thank you for reading the long post and taking the time to make such an awesome server!

Ign: Phillipsir
User avatar
LISA100595
Retired Staff
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by LISA100595 »

Faceless wrote:Hello there!

I am interested in area development! In Neverwinter Nights my friend and I worked as a team to develop an Underdark setting consisting of 500 areas, all of which we tailored to be as lore friendly, and unique as possible. With recreation of many underdark cities based on descriptions that we could find from all Canon and solid fanbase. They realistic features as well as some fun twists in the way of wild magic. My friend took care of most scripting aspects that were not strictly environmental, a skill I am seeking to pick up here soon.

My main part in this project was the physical; sound, encounter placement, ambience, as well as creating intriguing areas for those places that changed from time to time.

I am also very familiar with a great many surface aspects as well, my focus has just been on the Underdark as I love complexity

I am currently refamiliarizing myself with the toolset, but it'll only take a little bit to get back up to par for the most part.

I've a strong background in DnD for over a decade now as well as access to the minds of three people who have been playing or involved in Forgotten Realms since it was public around 1987.

I am newer to the server, but I am an enormous fan of the Underdark and it's interactions with the surface.

I think I can bring a lot to this server in my field.

Thank you for reading the long post and taking the time to make such an awesome server!

Ign: Phillipsir
(( PM Sent :)
User avatar
Gicker
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 1:45 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by Gicker »

Wondering if you guys are still accepting Area Builders.

I've not yet delved too deeply into the toolset. I have used it years ago creating my own single shot (non-persistent-world) campaigns in NWN and NWN2. I am working on a sample area right now to re-teach myself the tools, and it's coming back quickly.

General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience?

I've been playing just shy of a month I think. I really enjoy it. The areas are well done, the modifications and additions to the base NWN2 experience are exceptional. The role play is good and very easy to find, as are groups. The players as a rule are very friendly and mature, and enjoyable to play with.

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you?

None that I've developed a close enough friendship with yet.

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building?

I can put in 5-10 hours per week, mostly during the day.

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on?

I'd like to create a new area for newbies in the Eastern Farmlands. The two main ones I know of are the graveyard and down the well. The graveyard mobs, the undead, all have DR, which is kind of tough for new characters with less than 10 hp. Down the well, the oozes are the same deal. It'd be nice for there to be a zone for levels 1-4 or so that have mobs without DR. My idea was to make a farmland sinkhole zone with a few levels that are mainly rats, bats and vermin, with maybe a carrion crawler boss somewhere down there, and a handful of lootable treasure spots.

A bit about me. I've been playing MUDs since 1995. MUDs are basically a text-only version of what you guys have here. I've been developing them since 1997. I've created my own codebase, a derivitive of CircleMUD, called d20mud, which, as it sounds is a d20 rules based codebase. I've done both a fantasy version and a star wars version, writing the combat, class, race, levelling, skills, feats, abilities, etc. all from scratch, as well as additions like mail systems, in-game forums, auction houses, space combat systems, etc. I've also created dozens of areas in different MUDs over the years. My MUD Coding experience has beejn 99% C, but I have also worked with C++, C#, Java, PHP, MySQL, and Python. I also have some experience with Unity, for which there is some similarities with the NWN2 toolset. I have a real passion for game design and development that I've been busy with as a hobby for 2 decades now. I enjoy BGTSCC quite a lot, and would like to donate my talents if you'll have me.

Cheers,

Gicker
User avatar
Varcharamir
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by Varcharamir »

Hello! I would like to help with scripting.
I did some apps with C/C++ before, but I have never done anything using NWScript.
I am programming like for 7 years now. I have never thought of myself as a great specialist, but I really like the project, so I thought that maybe there might be sothething I can contribute to the bgtscc society.
Mooj
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by Mooj »

Late to the game, I know, but I'd be interested in helping out with the Creative Writing/Editing. I'm a former communications worker and a current journalist with experience writing and copy-editing (and they tend not to coincide, editing your own work is a real pain). I love the server, but I've noticed some inconsistencies in the writing (a non-unified style, random capitalization choices, odd sentence mechanics) in virtually all the copy.

I would love to take a pass at all of this and fix it up where possible.
MagicalWisps
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: California

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by MagicalWisps »

Hello Again.

Need some help with Area Design? I have experience, but cannot create scripts from scratch, I use an old tool to help me.
I'm currently back into playing and I'm on BG.

Here are links to stuff I have done.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... n-aator-30
(I did a lot here, but not everything)

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... -pw-prefab
(I Can't Remember what All I did, I used areas from old PW and Prefabs.)

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... ds-coastal
(All of it is mine)
User avatar
LISA100595
Retired Staff
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by LISA100595 »

(( pm sent
User avatar
krighaur
Recognized Donor
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:58 am
Location: where it rains

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by krighaur »

I create custom content since 2009, some of which is uploaded at the nwnvault (mainly head and female dresses)

If you feel I can contribute to some project, I am willing to help. Some of you may have seen me at the NWN creator discord, and you can visit my blog which is active since 2010, here :

https://wordpress.com/view/krighaur.wordpress.com
User avatar
Miasmata
Retired Admin
Posts: 1174
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by Miasmata »

PM Sent.
User avatar
Miasmata
Retired Admin
Posts: 1174
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by Miasmata »

PM Sent.
portos
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:46 am

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by portos »

Hi Guys,

I've been playing Neverwinter off and on since NWN1 was released. Obviously I really love the game.
Fun fact I've never completed the vanilla NWN1 or even started NWN2.
By profession I'm a 4GL and Database designer using tools like Powerhouse, Uniface, Oracle, Sybase, so my SQL and Transact SQL is pretty good
I just went onto the Nordock persistent world and continued from there.
I've played about with the toolset in the past started to crate my own little world in NWN2 but it got dropped as RL intervened.
My interest is a database connection for crafting.
I'm thinking of joining the Whistling Wanderers and heard that their area map had been nerfed. So as a suggestion I thought maybe
I could start by fixing that and using it as an intro into crafting?

Best regards
Steve
qwertyuiop
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 5:51 pm

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by qwertyuiop »

Programmed for NWN1 and NWN2 in the past. Application developer by trade.
User avatar
DaloLorn
Posts: 2478
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:44 am

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Well, EasternCheesE has talked me into trying to sign on...

I have a vague familiarity with the inner workings of NWN2. In tweaking a few mods for personal use (and researching how to reconstruct my characters during RCRs), I was forced to edit or inspect TLK, 2DA, and BIC files (primarily using Notepad++ or TlkEdit, as appropriate), as well as make a few NWScript edits. That being said, my familiarity with the NWScript API is still fairly limited, so I'd be limited to editing and recombining existing code at first.

The below list doesn't strictly qualify me for NWN2 modding, but it may be indicative of behavioral patterns and learning ability:

- Spent a couple of months on the DM team, before being removed for inactivity. (This was technically not true, as I was still in the middle of DMing an official campaign, but it was decided that this did not require me to have access to the DM client or subforums, which *was* technically true.)
- Various personal mods for Star Wars: Battlefront 1 and 2 (the Pandemic originals), Star Wars: Empire at War, and Space Empires 4 and 5
- Contributed a few fixes to the Movie Battles 2 mod for Star Wars: Jedi Academy... before spending months idling on their roster and finally dropping out of my own accord.
- One of the leading figures of the Open Star Ruler project; lead developer of the Star Ruler 2 Mod Manager and the Rising Stars mod for Star Ruler 2
- Currently employed as a full-stack developer whose duties require interaction with a variety of languages, frameworks and technologies: Java (Spring Boot, Hibernate), JavaScript (React, Jest, MSW, and others), Docker, MySQL
- Graduated magna cum laude from RIT Croatia's Web & Mobile Computing program

My personal prediction is that I'll probably periodically notice something broken that really bothers me, and try to fix it. That is, after all, a succinct description of my involvement on the last modding team I joined (MB2). Big projects probably won't happen unless I wander down a rabbit hole, since I tend to spend my free time either playing or working on other projects.

(One early example of broken things bothering me: If it's true that the fiendish heritage SLAs are still casting at CL1, I want to try and fix that. :P)
User avatar
SpookySkeleton
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:03 pm

Re: Developer Applications

Unread post by SpookySkeleton »

---Toolset Experience Levels---

No Toolset experience. I work professionally as a Dev/Team Lead/DBA in a C# / SQL environment, so I believe I would have no problem reading the C scripts looking for bugs.

---General Questions---

--How long have you been playing here and your general experience?

on and off for a couple years

--Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you?

Not to my knowledge

--How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building?

Perhaps a few hours, depending on the season.

--Are there any particular projects you would like to work on?

Would generally like to debug scripts to get a better feel for the environment and to optimize the SQL database (assuming there is one). I am very good at working with large datasets and preventing things like locks or long running queries.

I don't have much interest in the creative side of things, like building zones, creatures and that sort of thing.

Return to “Supporting BG:TSCC”