Area Builders Wanted

Information and Discussion Relating to NWN2 Area Design

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

User avatar
Ariella
Retired Staff
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Australia

Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by Ariella »

We are always looking for talented area builders for the BGTSCC PW.

If you have experience and understanding of the toolset, are willing to be a team player, and have the artistic ability please do submit an application to build areas for the PW, format found below.
------
We recommend that you create a small area, as by Toolset definition, to submit with your application. Interior and/or Exterior is fine. We just want to see what you are capable of, your level of expertise with regards to PW Area building. PW area is similar to single player campaign building, but other things must also be taken into account.

If you are completely new to area building and have little or no experience with the toolset, but would like to build areas for the PW, you will have to gain your initial footing on your own. We as staff just don't have the time to teach potential area builders. If you are committed and capable of being a good area builder for NWN2 and this PW then you will be capable of learning most of the basic features of the toolset on your own.

There are many NWN2 toolset tutorials out there that deal with most all features of the toolset. I could list many of them here, but part of being a good area builder is being able to use a search engine and find the answers for yourself. I suggest using google. ;)

Another great technique for learning how to build areas is to simply look at areas already done in the toolset and see how that builder made everything. All area builders, including myself, mar3usmc, gain much from looking at other peoples work. There is always something new and interesting in area building occurring in NWN2. I would suggest starting with the OC Campaign areas, seeing how them made them there, and then going on the NWN2 Vault and looking at some prefab areas there.

------
Also, do understand that area building for a PW is by far one of the most time consuming duties. If you don't think you will have at least 10 hours a week to put into area building you may wish to reconsider applying. Some areas I have built have taken well over 200 hours (~25 8 hour work days) to produce. Most areas, on average, will take 100 hours to fully complete and debug.

Last, if you do not work well with others I do suggest you reconsider. While you may get to work on your own idea projects, if approved, many times you will be asked to work on projects that have little benefit to yourself, as a player. These areas will be heavily scrutinized and you may be asked to adjust them many times to fit the staffs desires and goals. If you are soft skinned or overly sensitive to criticism you may find building for the PW disheartening. While this may be fun, it is still, without a doubt, work, but in the end, once the area goes into the PW it is a very satisfying feeling, especially when the players speak of how awesome the area is.

------
Thank you for reading, and, if you think you fit the bill, hopefully considering building areas for the PW. I look forward to your applications, including your area submissions.

Manny
User avatar
Ariella
Retired Staff
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Australia

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by Ariella »

Area Builder Application Form


Below is the format to use for applying to be an area builder for the PW. Please delete any parenthetical notation in your application as it is only there to explain and give an example. Please answer as many of the questions in the parenthetical notation as you can. Please don't feel intimidated by all the questions. This is just to get an idea of where you stand. If you feel that your module submission with an included area answers much of the questions feel free to leave those questions you feel it addresses blank or attach the comment "see submission". Copy below and above the dashed red lines, and submit application on this thread.

----------
Toolset Experience Levels

General Toolset Knowledge: (Do you understand the basics such as making a new area; adjusting area properties; baking an area; making new items, and NPCs; importing and exporting areas, items, and NPCs; making a new script and compiling it; making a new conversation; etc... Do you know how to move around the toolset, and what each and every button is for?)

Interior Mapping: (Your experience with making interiors in the toolset. Do you know how to adjust tilesets, their properties, and variation?)

Exterior Mapping: (Your experience with making exterior areas in the toolset. Do you know how to use all the terrian tools and every button within them? How are you at texturing and shading? Do you understand how to make and adjust the properties of water?)

Placeable experience and familiarity: (Your general experience level with placeables? Do you understand how to adjust placeable size and other properties? Do you have a decent memorization of the basic placeables in the original placeable set of NWN2 and expansions? Do you know how to manipulate a placeables appearance manually?)

Lighting experience: (I can not stress enough how important properly done lighting is for an area, especially interiors. What is your experience level here? Do you feel you understand all the intricacies of point source lighting, ambient lighting, and sun/moon lighting in the NWN2 toolset?)

Special Effects experience: (While very important I feel that a good area builder will know how to use the minimal amount of special effects to the maximum effect. Do you have a decent amount experience in special effects? Do you know how to manually adjust special effects?)

Sound experience: (Do you understand all the properties in a sound? What level of experience do you have with sounds?)

Scripting Experience: (What is your level of experience in scripting? Do you fully understand NWN2 Scripting? Can you only read scripting and adjust variables and small properties such that you can use and adapt predone scripts for areas, placeable, NPC, convos, and trigger properties, etc..? <--(that's me :D ) Can you fully develop your own scripts from scratch without any aids?)

Trigger Experience: (Do you understand how to use most of the triggers in the toolset?)

Walkmesh Experience: (Can you adjust and cut walkmeshes in exteriors and interiors effectively and efficiently?)



Your Module Submission

(Please post a download link here to a compressed (RAR or Zip please) module with an area for an example of your work and capabilities. Megaupload is decent, but I prefer to use dropbox personally these days. Print screens, while welcomed, are not as good as a working module. If you submit print screens please put them in thumbnail format!)

General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience?

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you?

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building?

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on?
----------
That is all of the application for now. If you took the time to submit an application, thank you for considering building for BGTSCC. We will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
mar3usmc
Retired Staff
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:53 am

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by mar3usmc »

20110312

Did some major cleaning, most posts were old and irrelevant. Adjusted OP and added an application for to make applications for area building more uniform.

Luna or other global admin, can I get this stickied, thx
I'm the guy that kills you by using your own greed and stupidity against you while making you laugh about it.
Enjoy!
7threalm
Retired Staff
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by 7threalm »

I use to build for a pw on nwn1 called natfka, was wondering if you needed any more builders, all i need is an area to start on because i don't know how much is out there. It will take a little practice to get use to the builder but im sure i can do it
Duragin Balderden(Battle Rager of Kraak Helzak)

Rlyd (Drow Wizard)- Fearn School of Enchantment and Charm
Moric
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:14 am

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by Moric »

Toolset Experience Levels

General Toolset Knowledge: (Do you understand the basics such as making a new area; adjusting area properties; baking an area; making new items, and NPCs; importing and exporting areas, items, and NPCs; making a new script and compiling it; making a new conversation; etc... Do you know how to move around the toolset, and what each and every button is for?) Yes i do..build Silversun from the ground up it has since changed but still have most of the areas i built

Interior Mapping: (Your experience with making interiors in the toolset. Do you know how to adjust tilesets, their properties, and variation?) Sure do

Exterior Mapping: (Your experience with making exterior areas in the toolset. Do you know how to use all the terrian tools and every button within them? How are you at texturing and shading? Do you understand how to make and adjust the properties of water?) Yes have trouble with water at time but working it and getting better

Placeable experience and familiarity: (Your general experience level with placeables? Do you understand how to adjust placeable size and other properties? Do you have a decent memorization of the basic placeables in the original placeable set of NWN2 and expansions? Do you know how to manipulate a placeables appearance manually?) yes i do

Lighting experience: (I can not stress enough how important properly done lighting is for an area, especially interiors. What is your experience level here? Do you feel you understand all the intricacies of point source lighting, ambient lighting, and sun/moon lighting in the NWN2 toolset?) yes lighting in an area is everything.

Special Effects experience: (While very important I feel that a good area builder will know how to use the minimal amount of special effects to the maximum effect. Do you have a decent amount experience in special effects? Do you know how to manually adjust special effects?) yes i do.

Sound experience: (Do you understand all the properties in a sound? What level of experience do you have with sounds?) i am really good at setting the mood in areas :)

Scripting Experience: (What is your level of experience in scripting? Do you fully understand NWN2 Scripting? Can you only read scripting and adjust variables and small properties such that you can use and adapt predone scripts for areas, placeable, NPC, convos, and trigger properties, etc..? <--(that's me :D ) Can you fully develop your own scripts from scratch without any aids?)

Trigger Experience: (Do you understand how to use most of the triggers in the toolset?)

Walkmesh Experience: (Can you adjust and cut walkmeshes in exteriors and interiors effectively and efficiently?) yes i can



Your Module Submission
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtov0vyv70lo6 ... inal_2.rar


General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience?
Been playing on this server about a week General experience Since the game came out

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you?
Lisa100595

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building?
10 to 20 hrs

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on? FAI interior for the inn...could use a few things
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by Matherhorn »

Hi
My name is Andrew, I live in new England area. I started designing in 3d with Jedi Knight 2 map editors. A little while later I started using Truespace 3d; which happens to still be my favorite. The more pro tool i have is a 3d application called Shade 3D. Shade being very functional, almost to 3dMax in capabilities.

For most of my time Ive been working for other indie projects that never made it to completion.

Most of my skill set is 3d Character and map design. Object design like weapons; most medieval.
I also have a lot of practice with pixel art and texture creation.

https://goo.gl/photos/NxHKKm4Pm7RW4rJL9

https://goo.gl/photos/3RGRTszYToWuwZPa9

https://goo.gl/photos/KefyXr7RzJA2eCwc6

https://goo.gl/photos/vA5Gc6rsTyCFuWto9
User avatar
Xaltotun
Retired Staff
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by Xaltotun »

Toolset Experience Levels

General Toolset Knowledge: I used to do a lot of area, quest and world design for NWN and this module is my first attempt at a small quest mod for NWN2, but I think I've got the grasp of most of it.

Interior Mapping: see above

Exterior Mapping: see above

Placeable experience and familiarity: see above

Lighting experience: see above

Special Effects experience: see above

Sound experience: I understand the properties of sounds and am struggling a little with the Placed sound option atm, but it will come.

Scripting Experience: I can't develop scripts from scratch and use LilacSoul's Script Generator to handle the basics for me then I can add in the more advanced stuff and adjust existing scripts to tweak them or add extra enhancements. See the scripts in the mod to judge yourself.

Trigger Experience: The only problem I have is that triggers show a height dimension but it doesn't seem to show or display in an area, for instance, trying to place a trigger on a roof. I can get the waypoints up there and a trigger to work between them but visually, during development, the triggers seem to remain on the ground.

Walkmesh Experience: yep

Your Module Submission: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2i66fv2z94zca ... ge.7z?dl=0

General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience? For about a year or so and I've three characters on the go so far.

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you? Mixafix

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building? 10-20 hours without any problem

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on? anything at all

~~ Xaltotun
User avatar
LISA100595
Retired Staff
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by LISA100595 »

I'm bumping this thread for anyone who is interested in Area Building... Fill out this Application along with any samples of your work in the form of modules, area files, screenshots etc. and send it to the "Associate Dev" Forum PM Group if you are interested.

Thanks,
Lisa
Head Builder
mar3usmc wrote:
Area Builder Application Form


Below is the format to use for applying to be an area builder for the PW. Please delete any parenthetical notation in your application as it is only there to explain and give an example. Please answer as many of the questions in the parenthetical notation as you can. Please don't feel intimidated by all the questions. This is just to get an idea of where you stand. If you feel that your module submission with an included area answers much of the questions feel free to leave those questions you feel it addresses blank or attach the comment "see submission". Copy below and above the dashed red lines, and submit application on this thread.

----------
Toolset Experience Levels

General Toolset Knowledge: (Do you understand the basics such as making a new area; adjusting area properties; baking an area; making new items, and NPCs; importing and exporting areas, items, and NPCs; making a new script and compiling it; making a new conversation; etc... Do you know how to move around the toolset, and what each and every button is for?)

Interior Mapping: (Your experience with making interiors in the toolset. Do you know how to adjust tilesets, their properties, and variation?)

Exterior Mapping: (Your experience with making exterior areas in the toolset. Do you know how to use all the terrian tools and every button within them? How are you at texturing and shading? Do you understand how to make and adjust the properties of water?)

Placeable experience and familiarity: (Your general experience level with placeables? Do you understand how to adjust placeable size and other properties? Do you have a decent memorization of the basic placeables in the original placeable set of NWN2 and expansions? Do you know how to manipulate a placeables appearance manually?)

Lighting experience: (I can not stress enough how important properly done lighting is for an area, especially interiors. What is your experience level here? Do you feel you understand all the intricacies of point source lighting, ambient lighting, and sun/moon lighting in the NWN2 toolset?)

Special Effects experience: (While very important I feel that a good area builder will know how to use the minimal amount of special effects to the maximum effect. Do you have a decent amount experience in special effects? Do you know how to manually adjust special effects?)

Sound experience: (Do you understand all the properties in a sound? What level of experience do you have with sounds?)

Scripting Experience: (What is your level of experience in scripting? Do you fully understand NWN2 Scripting? Can you only read scripting and adjust variables and small properties such that you can use and adapt predone scripts for areas, placeable, NPC, convos, and trigger properties, etc..? <--(that's me :D ) Can you fully develop your own scripts from scratch without any aids?)

Trigger Experience: (Do you understand how to use most of the triggers in the toolset?)

Walkmesh Experience: (Can you adjust and cut walkmeshes in exteriors and interiors effectively and efficiently?)



Your Module Submission

(Please post a download link here to a compressed (RAR or Zip please) module with an area for an example of your work and capabilities. Megaupload is decent, but I prefer to use dropbox personally these days. Print screens, while welcomed, are not as good as a working module. If you submit print screens please put them in thumbnail format!)

General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience?

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you?

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building?

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on?
----------
That is all of the application for now. If you took the time to submit an application, thank you for considering building for BGTSCC. We will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander
User avatar
V'rass
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:48 pm
Location: Concord, N.H., USSA

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by V'rass »

*Removed*
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."






Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
User avatar
LISA100595
Retired Staff
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by LISA100595 »

Bumping again for anyone interested in Area Design and Development.... :)
LISA100595 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:34 pm I'm bumping this thread for anyone who is interested in Area Building... Fill out this Application along with any samples of your work in the form of modules, area files, screenshots etc. and send it to the "Associate Dev" Forum PM Group if you are interested.

Thanks,
Lisa
Head Builder
mar3usmc wrote:
Area Builder Application Form


Below is the format to use for applying to be an area builder for the PW. Please delete any parenthetical notation in your application as it is only there to explain and give an example. Please answer as many of the questions in the parenthetical notation as you can. Please don't feel intimidated by all the questions. This is just to get an idea of where you stand. If you feel that your module submission with an included area answers much of the questions feel free to leave those questions you feel it addresses blank or attach the comment "see submission". Copy below and above the dashed red lines, and submit application on this thread.

----------
Toolset Experience Levels

General Toolset Knowledge: (Do you understand the basics such as making a new area; adjusting area properties; baking an area; making new items, and NPCs; importing and exporting areas, items, and NPCs; making a new script and compiling it; making a new conversation; etc... Do you know how to move around the toolset, and what each and every button is for?)

Interior Mapping: (Your experience with making interiors in the toolset. Do you know how to adjust tilesets, their properties, and variation?)

Exterior Mapping: (Your experience with making exterior areas in the toolset. Do you know how to use all the terrian tools and every button within them? How are you at texturing and shading? Do you understand how to make and adjust the properties of water?)

Placeable experience and familiarity: (Your general experience level with placeables? Do you understand how to adjust placeable size and other properties? Do you have a decent memorization of the basic placeables in the original placeable set of NWN2 and expansions? Do you know how to manipulate a placeables appearance manually?)

Lighting experience: (I can not stress enough how important properly done lighting is for an area, especially interiors. What is your experience level here? Do you feel you understand all the intricacies of point source lighting, ambient lighting, and sun/moon lighting in the NWN2 toolset?)

Special Effects experience: (While very important I feel that a good area builder will know how to use the minimal amount of special effects to the maximum effect. Do you have a decent amount experience in special effects? Do you know how to manually adjust special effects?)

Sound experience: (Do you understand all the properties in a sound? What level of experience do you have with sounds?)

Scripting Experience: (What is your level of experience in scripting? Do you fully understand NWN2 Scripting? Can you only read scripting and adjust variables and small properties such that you can use and adapt predone scripts for areas, placeable, NPC, convos, and trigger properties, etc..? <--(that's me :D ) Can you fully develop your own scripts from scratch without any aids?)

Trigger Experience: (Do you understand how to use most of the triggers in the toolset?)

Walkmesh Experience: (Can you adjust and cut walkmeshes in exteriors and interiors effectively and efficiently?)



Your Module Submission

(Please post a download link here to a compressed (RAR or Zip please) module with an area for an example of your work and capabilities. Megaupload is decent, but I prefer to use dropbox personally these days. Print screens, while welcomed, are not as good as a working module. If you submit print screens please put them in thumbnail format!)

General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience?

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you?

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building?

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on?
----------
That is all of the application for now. If you took the time to submit an application, thank you for considering building for BGTSCC. We will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander
Banovitsky
Retired Staff
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:59 pm

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by Banovitsky »

Greetings

My Toolset Experience Level

General Toolset Knowledge:
- Interior Mapping: Yes
- Exterior Mapping: Yes
- Placeable experience and familiarity: Yes, but I'm not very experienced in NPC and monsters right now.
- Lighting experience: Yes I partially understand how to use placeable lights, but have some problems in understanding how areal moon/sun lights work(never used it). For example I still can't understand how to create totally dark cave like in servers UD.
- Special Effects experience: Yes, but only basic understanding
- Sound experience: Yes I have experience, but only basic understanding
- Scripting Experience: No, right now I have realy bad understanding about scripting. But I believe it is the hardest part of toolset and it will take time to learn how to use them.
- Trigger Experience: I used part of triggers but still have a lot of questions right now.
- Walkmesh Experience: Yes

Your Module Submission

This area named "Spore Beetle Queen Lair" is created as a continuation of already existing cave “Mushroom Grove (CR2)”. In the future, if my candidacy is approved, it would be great if this small location could be added to the server. At the moment, I'm already working on a simple quest related to the Spore Beetles Queen . The cave consists of 3 small parts. At the moment, work has not yet been completed. There are some places without walkmesh cut trigger, lighting and effects are not placed. One transition not completed. The beetles already placed there are just a placeholders.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yp2l6wapqjt2a ... r.rar?dl=0

General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience? - I'm playing on BGTSCC about 2 month under nickname Bobkins. I have finished twice all original campaigns in coop except "Storm of Zehir".

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you? - Darker_Thought, K'yon Oblodra, Shadowspinner

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building? - I work as freelancer so if I need time to create something I will find it.

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on? - I like UD so It would be perfect if I can add something there. Part of the locations there looks great and finished, like Illitid mines/hive for example but there are a lot of empty areas without anything interesting at all.

My Discord for direct contact: Bobkins#6834
Banovitsky
Retired Staff
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:59 pm

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by Banovitsky »

Greetings, this is my second try. I was told before that I do not played enough on server so... it would be better to try join Area builders later... So I'm here again.
My Toolset Experience Level

General Toolset Knowledge:
- Interior Mapping: Yes
- Exterior Mapping: Yes
- Placeable experience and familiarity: Yes
- Lighting experience: Yes
- Special Effects experience: Yes
- Sound experience: Yes
- Scripting Experience: Still not that good at it, can use some and create new by script generator, but not by my own.
- Trigger Experience: Still have blind spots with them.
- Walkmesh Experience: Yes

General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience? - I'm playing on BGTSCC about 9-10 month under nickname Bobkins(As drow warrior Urfindir). I have finished twice all original campaigns in coop except "Storm of Zehir".

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you? - Darker_Thought, Shadowspinner, Tanalus, Kurbcrawler.

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building? - Realy depends on week. But I think I will be able to create area in 1-1,5 mounths depends on how big is it.

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on? - I like UD so It would be perfect if I can add or rework something there. Part of the locations there looks great and finished, like Illitid mines/hive for example but there are a lot of empty areas without anything interesting at all.

My Discord for direct contact: Bobkins#6834



Now about Areas I have created. Both are for BGTSCC server and both of them are for UD. One Interior and one Exterior.

Beetle_Quinn_Lair

Area was designed as a cavern with an abandoned Bluecaps farm which connected with Mushroom Grove (CR3). It is for players 3-6 lvl. Right now the area is finished. (Except one transition which needs an on use script. I created that script with a generator, but I think it will be better to use an already existing script on the server).

Things needed to finalise the area
1)Monster spawners - some special for Beetle Queen boss and her offspring
2)3 lootable chests and 2 lootable skeletons
3)Dialogue and diary notes for two small simple quests + scripting and etc.
4)Transition from Mushroom Grove (CR3)
5)Script for unfinished transition.

Area link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yawxduofalfju ... 9.rar?dl=0

Text files for Area(in Progress): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Some screenshots:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Mist Lake(Remake)

Mist Lake is the most visited place in all UD. And it is so unfair that it looks like a simple cavern without anything special. So I decided to remake it as an Exterior map. I saved all main places of interest and points of transition. This Area is far from finished but... already looks good.

Area link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozzodndkye1un ... 9.rar?dl=0

Some screenshots:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Would be glad if you contact with me. Best way is using Discord! Farewell! (My Discord for direct contact: Bobkins#6834)
User avatar
Planehopper
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by Planehopper »

Bumping this, as we have had some recent interest.

If you have samples of your build work, and are interested in joining the team, please fill out the application below. Be sure to include a link to your file, and send to the Developer forum group, or to me directly if you'd prefer.

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thanks!
Ariella wrote: ↑Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:45 pm
Area Builder Application Form


Below is the format to use for applying to be an area builder for the PW. Please delete any parenthetical notation in your application as it is only there to explain and give an example. Please answer as many of the questions in the parenthetical notation as you can. Please don't feel intimidated by all the questions. This is just to get an idea of where you stand. If you feel that your module submission with an included area answers much of the questions feel free to leave those questions you feel it addresses blank or attach the comment "see submission". Copy below and above the dashed red lines, and submit application on this thread.

----------
Toolset Experience Levels

General Toolset Knowledge: (Do you understand the basics such as making a new area; adjusting area properties; baking an area; making new items, and NPCs; importing and exporting areas, items, and NPCs; making a new script and compiling it; making a new conversation; etc... Do you know how to move around the toolset, and what each and every button is for?)

Interior Mapping: (Your experience with making interiors in the toolset. Do you know how to adjust tilesets, their properties, and variation?)

Exterior Mapping: (Your experience with making exterior areas in the toolset. Do you know how to use all the terrian tools and every button within them? How are you at texturing and shading? Do you understand how to make and adjust the properties of water?)

Placeable experience and familiarity: (Your general experience level with placeables? Do you understand how to adjust placeable size and other properties? Do you have a decent memorization of the basic placeables in the original placeable set of NWN2 and expansions? Do you know how to manipulate a placeables appearance manually?)

Lighting experience: (I can not stress enough how important properly done lighting is for an area, especially interiors. What is your experience level here? Do you feel you understand all the intricacies of point source lighting, ambient lighting, and sun/moon lighting in the NWN2 toolset?)

Special Effects experience: (While very important I feel that a good area builder will know how to use the minimal amount of special effects to the maximum effect. Do you have a decent amount experience in special effects? Do you know how to manually adjust special effects?)

Sound experience: (Do you understand all the properties in a sound? What level of experience do you have with sounds?)

Scripting Experience: (What is your level of experience in scripting? Do you fully understand NWN2 Scripting? Can you only read scripting and adjust variables and small properties such that you can use and adapt predone scripts for areas, placeable, NPC, convos, and trigger properties, etc..? <--(that's me :D ) Can you fully develop your own scripts from scratch without any aids?)

Trigger Experience: (Do you understand how to use most of the triggers in the toolset?)

Walkmesh Experience: (Can you adjust and cut walkmeshes in exteriors and interiors effectively and efficiently?)



Your Module Submission

(Please post a download link here to a compressed (RAR or Zip please) module with an area for an example of your work and capabilities. Megaupload is decent, but I prefer to use dropbox personally these days. Print screens, while welcomed, are not as good as a working module. If you submit print screens please put them in thumbnail format!)

General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience?

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you?

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building?

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on?
----------
That is all of the application for now. If you took the time to submit an application, thank you for considering building for BGTSCC. We will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
User avatar
ShadowFox13
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:28 pm

Re: Area Builders Wanted

Unread post by ShadowFox13 »

Ariella wrote: ↑Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:45 pm
Area Builder Application Form


----------


Toolset Experience Levels

General Toolset Knowledge: I have a lot of general knowledge, /except/ surrounding scripting and conversations. I have never touched those before, but I've done pretty much everything else - made blueprints, NPCs, transitions, adjusted area properties, exporting and importing items (which is usually my go-to instead of saving since saving tends to crash or corrupt my toolset).

Interior Mapping: I am most adept with interiors - very comfortable with making these, and incredibly inspired by some of what other builders have made here on this server. I could absolutely recreate much of it, given time/haks.

Exterior Mapping: If my interiors are adept, my exteriors are definitely more of a journeyman level. I know what all the terrain painting options are and how to use them, but my /skill/ with composing a believably shaded/textured ground leaves a lot to be desired (in my own opinion. No one has been upset with the exteriors I've made, though I find them simple in comparison to other's work.) I am still comfortable creating both interior and exterior maps, or editing them, with much more confidence around editing than building from total scratch.

Placeable experience and familiarity: I'm pretty familiar with most vanilla placeables, and am comfortable manipulating placeable properties, colors, appearance and positions. I am also very familiar with grouping and "prefabs" for decorations that are complex and I don't want to have to construct multiple times for the same area, or many different areas. I am /not/ adept at creating placeables.

Lighting experience: I have a basic understanding of lights, how to manipulate them and how best to use them to light a space - my motto being "less is more". I try to limit point source lights to those necessary for a realistic experience and let ambient lighting help a great deal when it is enabled. I can't say I understand all the intricacies, but I am much more confident in my lighting skills than I am my sound-scape skills.

Special Effects experience: I love the special effects, but I've had very little success figuring out how to manipulate them beyond positioning them in a space. I tend to limit my use of them, again, to what's necessary as I know that these effects are what can make or break a user experience, and cause lots of crashing especially during DM events.

Sound experience: I can place a sound an manipulate the distance at which people hear said sound, but beyond that? I tend not to use them. I play with sound off most of the time or very low, so I don't tend to design with them in mind, but I know some of the basics around them. Working in a team, I would /love/ to work with someone who's a more experienced sound designer, and let them put sounds in the stuff I do all the visual aesthetics for.

Scripting Experience: Absolute zero. I have never touched these, and I am a little intimidated by them, though I /can/ read code and know some about how it works.

Trigger Experience: I know how to use walkmesh triggers and I know the theory about others, but I haven't really used them myself.

Walkmesh Experience: Very adept with walkmeshes. Very comfortable working with the cutters and placeable settings etc, to make an optimal walkmesh experience.



Your Module Submission

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/56wllp2z ... 5tn5k&dl=0
((if this doesn't work lemme know))

General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience? - playing here, since may 2024 - nearly 1 year, but playing NWN2 online since.... oh, 2005?

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you? - DarkmoonKing, seldarkmore, Goat, uh, dae-glyth? chance12345, Tazzers9, Labradorit and assorted others... - at least, I think anyway :D

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building? - somewhere between 5-15 hours, give or take circumstances. Possibly more, as I work from home.

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on? - Loads! I really would like to help with Underdark areas, Blue Lanterrn Keep, Misty Forest, Ulgoth's beard, Triel....I like keeping the world reflective of DM and player actions, so really any of those small update/edits things are my bread and butter.

----------


That is all of the application for now. If you took the time to submit an application, thank you for considering building for BGTSCC. We will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Plays:
Sister Carys Eynon of Ilmater
Rivka, Hathran of Rashemen
Chevorynne, Silverlight Singer
Sabriel, Elf Druid Hermit of Fenmarel
Terris Thule, Bear Lodge Berserker of Rashemen
Alfny Collins - Gremlin Huntmaster
Ynamynet Tidedancer, Waveservant of Umberlee
Helena Aren, Woman of Many Faces

Return to “NWN2 Area Design”