Candlekeep Public Collection Reference

In-Character News, Laws, Announcements, Rumors, and Stories Relating to the Sword Coast

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Re: Candlekeep Public Collection Reference

Unread post by Almarea90 »

Back to the index
Planar Dragons
A Short Treatise on Planar Dragons
by Reader Laitae Lafreth

Dedication
I dedicate this text, in which I explain the nature of some planar dragons in short terms, to my colleague and friend Hoihe Dacino, a sorcerer and silver dragon warrior of considerable power and knowledge of his own ancestors, but lacking a bit in other draconic species. You know I mean well, Hoihe.

Battle dragons
These planar dragons are most commonly found in the plane of Ysgard, one of the planes of objective good, which is also the nature of these dragons. They are known for their valor in battle, optimism and ability to inspire battle morale to others. They are small, as dragons go, growing at very much the same rate as White dragons. Their main "breath" is more a scream that causes damage much like an Orb of Sound. They also have a secondary breath which is a gas that inspires fear in their enemies.

Chaos dragons
As the name suggests, these dragons are chaotic in all ways while being as often good as they are evil. They are mainly found on the ever changing plane of Limbo and grow about as big and fast as Green dragons and Bronze dragons. Their chaotic nature causes their main breath weapon to randomly change between the energies acidic, electric, cold, fiery and sonic. Even more true to chaos, their second breath is a gas that confuses the mind.

Pyroclastic dragons
These dragons of elemental fury are native to the objectively evil plane of Gehenna, and are more lenient towards order and law than chaos if anything. They grow as large as Red and Silver dragons and enjoy swimming through the magma on their endless, volcanic home plane. Their main breath is a roaring cloud of hot ash that both scorches their enemies and crushes them with sonic force. Their secondary breath disintegrates anything not powerful enough to withstand it.

Radiant dragons
These dragons native to the plane of Celestia are arguably more righteous and strident in their wish to destroy evil than the Gold dragons of the Prime. As their name suggests, they shine brightly with what has been described as a "heavenly glow", but they can dim this glow if they so wish. They grow as large as Gold dragons and have two powerful kinds of breath, if you can even call them that. The primary one manifests as a line of pure force, while the secondary one is a blinding light.

Tarterian dragons
Native to the lower plane Carceri, these dragons are evil in nature and leaning towards chaos if anything. They are possibly the largest of the evil dragons, growing at the same rate as Gold and Radiant dragons, thus making them larger than Reds. Their main breath weapon is a devastating line of disruptive force, while their secondary breath is a gas that makes the affected despair and lose morale.

Reader Laitae Lafreth of Candlekeep

Back to the index
Edelgarde Spades - Guide of Candlekeep and Deneirrath priest, still a Disney princess in the wrong tale.

Gleam of the Firefly - In your darkest hour, look for the firefly

Auntie Ed's Wands(TM): Saving the Coast one Protection from Evil at time.

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Qarnaq, Island on the Trackless Sea
by Eratharn, Scribe of Candlekeep, 1346

Preface:
This book is based on personal interview with a human female, aged about 21 years named Valqis Sanejmeh, Daughter of Martoq and Ghilqa, former Navigator of Qarnaqi ship Spiked Fist, and now Seeker of Candlekeep. Although this book is based on information from a single source, in my conversations with Valqis and other persons who know her, I believe the facts described in this book are true to the best of Valqis' knowledge and understanding of her stories. Common is a new language to her so there could be some errors due to incorrect translation. Her personal story is worthy of its own book. But for the purposes of this book, Valqis sailed from her home islands in the Trackless Sea to Baldur's Gate then traveled to Candlekeep. She is a skilled star navigator, artist and cartographer. The pictures and maps in this book were drawn by Valqis based on her memories of her home islands, collectively named Qarnaq.

*What follows is description of the islands, the climate, flora and fauna, persons, cultural norms, and their deities. Each section is accompanied by water color painting*

Conclusion:
Qarnaq is a collection of tropical islands in the distant Trackless Sea. Its climate, flora, and fauna are similar to the Chult peninsula region. It is inhabited by humans with some fragile link to Mulhorand in their distant past (perhaps 1000 years?) as evidence in their use of hieratic text, followers of the Mulhorand pantheon god Geb, and evidence of ancient hieroglyphs.

Back to the index
Edelgarde Spades - Guide of Candlekeep and Deneirrath priest, still a Disney princess in the wrong tale.

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Stronghand Revealed
By Rocky Flatstone

Until now I was called wise, not yet plain
Nothing about run ragged to and fro
Something about grumpy and taciturn
Do as I say not as I do, Jump Sir
Ever wondered who saved us, probably not
But it was me I have our bottle
Regardless we escaped to the south
Right some say it was harpers, even old Groob
But no it was me plain and simple eh
Unlimited greed stalked us see
It seemed others would hurt this hour
I knew I had to leave them
Now I wandered alone the better to see
So to gain I needed to be going
You want to know where of course
And why not it's important too
Now here I have left it behind for us
Our heritage our nest egg our hope
Do consider wisely the worth of my rant

Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Urgent Flu Gazette volume I
News spreading like plague.
Volume I
A project by Janette Skein

PATRIOTS ON THE LOOSE

A suspicious activity was noticed in the Baldur’s Gate sewers! Creepy stalkers follow adventurers, asking uncomfortable questions and never revealing their face. Janette Skein, the 'Urgent Flu!' author, was able to have a conversation with one of them. The person didn’t reveal his name, but called himself a “baldurian patriot”, making ambigious hints that he belongs to an organization none other than the mysterious Thieves Guild. Ruling over half of the city, being unofficial law enforcers, secretly working against presumed dark elf inflitrators… Those were the words spoken by the patriot.

Is he a lunatic stalking lonely travelers, or the Thieves Guild exists and sends a message?! 'Urgent Flu!' will try to find out…

MEANWHILE ON THE COAST...

Secrets of the abandoned temple
Investigation of the Winding Waters abandoned temple complex is underway. John William Clarke, a scholar leading the expedition, shared thrilling details about the temple origins. It turns out that the horrible dungeon full of skull thrones and pools of human blood was once a temple dedicated to Istishia, the Water Queen. The scholar is busy with work of late, but the 'Urgent Flu!' shall reach him out for commentaries on the first opportunity!

Drow Encounter
A group of drow stalkers was spotted in the Upperdark, not far from the Titanfist Ruins. Enigmatic persons in black hoods, armed with daggers, encountered the dutiful representatives of the 'Urgent Flu!'. Prepared to say goodbye to her honestly earned coin, Janette Skein was surprised after hearing dark elves’ proposal.

They called themselves Mrigge d'l'Har'oloth, “Guides of the Underdark”. The drow person, introducing herself as Ilhara, claimed that they offer the Underdark tours to the surface travelers for a modest price of two bags of gold. A charity from the depth, or a cunning abduction plan by the deep dwellers?

Siege of Soubar
Worriesome news are heard from the distant North! Once again, the notorious town of Soubar was besieged by vampire raiders, allegedly led by Layla Nightgale, their ancient. Details are sketchy at best, but it is said a retinue of adventurers repelled the vermin and gave them chase. It is said that House Blackrose, through the act of numerous agents, delievered a devastating blow to the vampire menace, but sources were unable to reach the members for commentary.

Call of the Tribes
Harvard the son of Sigurd, a powerful barbarian conqueror from Ruathym, graced the Sword Coast with his intimidating presence. The berserker claimed that he is gathering all the barbarians of the Coast under his banners, creating a new clan, or a “felagi” as the warrior called it. Harvard declared that in time he plans to build a great hall in the area.

Janette Skein was able to accompany Harvard in his grand quest to find the fabled Temple of Auril. Through the frozen Amnian mountains, fighting off horrific yetis and frost worms, they've reached the destination. Janette beheld a white stallion being sacrificed to the Frostmaiden for a safe passage through her realm. In the end of this journey, she has witnessed the temple of Auril itself, a gargantuan hall of incredible beauty. The hosts were hospitable, although they asked the 'Urgent Flu!' author to return the favor to their goddess for such a warm greeting.

On the message board tonight!

- House of Spades invites you to visit the notorious Taint Museum. The biggest collection of cursed trinkets in the world gathered the dark obsidian halls of the Spades Estate is accessible for free. Contact archmage Salim el-Faddir for a tour!

- Pixanie is looking for Kas! In addition, she wants to know why "magic made Kas sad". If Kas is to read it, she may find Pixanie at the Friendly Arm Inn.

Urgent Flu!' gazette, volume 1, 28th of Eleint, 1356.
Investigated and written by Janette Skein.

Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Urgent Flu Gazette volume II
News spreading like plague.
Volume 2
A project by Janette Skein

Emergency correction!
“Guides of the Underdark” have contacted our office, stating that two bags of gold was a price offered specifically for Janette, while every client has their own personal tariff. ‘Urgent Flu!’ apologizes for this confusion!

PATRIOTS SEND REGARDS!

After the previous gazette volume, Janette Skein has received a threatening letter from an anonymous sender. The text it contained was worriesome, and ‘Urgent Flu!’ is eagerly sharing it with our readers:

“This is the only warning that will be given to you. Silence your mouth and stop prying for information. Continue and not even that form of the Fake Spider will save you. There is enough coins to put a contract out on your head. And we are sure there is others more than willing to remove your head.”

Despite holding no signature and the sender being unknown, it is most evident that the letter was sent by either the Thieves themselves or someone willing to frame them and wrack commotion. We will attempt to reach the patriots for their commentaries on the matter!

In the meantime around us...

Carnage at Soubar!
A scene of unspeakable violence took place at notorious Soubar, straight infront of the Winding Way Tavern’s door. Harvard the son of Sigurd and the group of the barbarians he gathered under his banners were caught standing over a beheaded male corpse. The northerners have proudly admitted that the person was murdered over a blood feud. While holding the severed head in his hand, Harvard shared some mind-shattering details about the incident.

The murdered man was none other than Sigurd. Before one could wonder why did son kill his own parent in cold blood, the berserker confessed that his true name is Wulfrik Icewalker who was disguising as Harvard. The imposter claimed that the *real* Harvard killed Wulfrik's father, and in order to avenge, Wulfrik traveled to the Coast, assuming false identity to lure Sigurd out and kill him. At which, as evident, he succeded…

Such mind games are rarely expected from the honorable tribespeople of the North! All the northerners have witnessed Wulfrik’s deceit, and the true question of this story is… would they still follow his ruthless lead?

Vampires Among Us
Regarding the vampire attack news from the previous volume, ‘Urgent Flu!’ reached out to the participants for commentaries. Sir Amos Thistle, the Lord Regent of the House Blackrose, has given us an eerie input about the bloodsucking threat he faced. According to Sir Thistle’s words, the vampires possess a horrifying ability to turn the humanoid mortals into lesser vampires. They’ve attempted to mesmerize Amos himself and convert him, but the living allies were quick on the scene, and united forces of House Blackrose, House Darius and the druids banished the creatures away.

The same day, Janette Skein found a large group of heavily armed and warded persons, consisting of House Darius members and their allies. The participants claimed that they have found and dispatched vampire infiltrators in the sewers. It seems these monsters have crawled truly close to the civilization, and, with Sir Thistle’s perspective in mind, the picture is worrisome… the turned vampire puppets could be among us! Nathan Goldenmane of House Darius looked sick and reclusive after the patrol. One could only speculate about reasons…

Message From the Undercity
By a pure coincidence, Janette Skein encountered an imposing person who introduced herself as Morgan, the current leader of the Temple of the All-Seing Eyes. In attempt to learn more about this suspicious organization, Janette made a bold move… She suggested the Temple leader to show her the temple itself. After some consideration, Morgan agreed.

Through the teleportation spell used by Morgan, Janette found herself in a truly hideous place. A legion of skeletons and a gargantuan horned demon were the first things the author was shocked by. The abhorrent creatures, however, did not attack. They were obeying Morgan’s will. In order to figure out what is going on under Baldur’s Gate and why nobody comes to eradicate this nightmarish lair, Janette asked Morgan a few questions, and these are the answers she received:

Janette: This is unbelievable, Morgan. The fact that such powerful undead and fiends live under the city... so close to the main streets. Do the citizens know this place exists?
Morgan: This is just one corner of the Undercity. It is vast, with many passages and labyrinths There are many powers within the city. Most make what we have here look insignificant.
Janette: And Temple of All-seing Eyes is only one of them?
Morgan: We are only a recent power that has emerged within the last year. Think of the Undercity as a mini Underdark.
Janette: Earlier this day... I met a group of adventurers and Baldur's Gate residents who were... hunting down vampires, deep in the sewers, close to this depth. Are the vampires somehow related to your Temple, Morgan?
Morgan: No, but I know the factions they speak of. An old and ancient feud between two elder vampires, Layla and Namissa.
Janette: Interesting... From what I have heard from the same adventurers, they visited the Undercity in search for vampires and returned unharmed. It seems they... know the way to this place. One could think if adventurers and Baldur's Gate forces united, they could overwhelm this place... but it doesn't happen. The Undercity stands untouched. Why?
Morgan: The Dukes know the truth and the vastness of the Undercity. The city doesn't have enough men to subjugate the entirety of the Undercity. And if they marched down here... Those that would come would be used to launch an attack back at a defenseless city. Sometimes you shouldn't poke what lurks in the dark.
Janette: Lastly... is there any message you'd like to make for our readers?
Morgan: Undead guard the way. If people cut them down, more will replace them… This temple is for those shunned and banned from society. People should be free to practice whatever beliefs they want.

Just after the interview was finished, the temple has fallen under a sudden ambush! Morgan’s undead were attacked by other undead, controlled by the powers unknown. As the Temple leader explained, there are various undead clans down here, all fighting each other for control and influence. All these troublesome details make you wonder how much else Baldur’s Gate citizens don’t know about the horrors living underneath their streets…

Drow Ambush
Traveling through one of the Troll Claws passages, Janette Skein was attacked by a drow assassin! The author tried to escape and was chased throughout miles to the bizarre town of Rockrun. Unable to start a fight on the heavily patrolled streets, the assassin agreed to speak.

The drow introduced herself as Ssinyrr and made many interesting claims, such as her being betrayed by Duke Eltan himself after helping his forces or the Thayan Enclave needing to be demolished due to something horrible hidden beneath the tower. As for the reasons behind the ambush, Ssinyrr declared that some unknown persons have heavily trapped the Ogre Caves, leaving a message saying "Go home, drow".

After a lengthy conversation, Ssinyrr agreed to part ways in peace. ‘Urgent Flu!’ warns our dear readers to be careful traveling through the Troll Claws and tunnels beneath it in these troublesome times!

Well-well, what's on the message board?

- White Mask Theater invites you to visit the scariest Open Stage night you've seen! The theme of the show is ghosts, undead, phantasms and other blood-freezing things. Dress code: Spooky costumes and scary masks. Marpenoth 17, contact Rose of the White Mask for more information!

- Vilmar Dall urgently needs dragon acid for a project of grand import! The researcher is eager to pay solid coin for any samples found. Vilmar can often be found by the Farmlands campsite.

-SUDDEN GUEST!-

'Urgent Flu!’ introduces you an exclusive rubric where we interview famous, influent and simply interesting personalities of the region. This time, our guest is lady Netanya d’Abdelledion’d'y’Quellium, a dutiful person with outstanding sense of style, councilor of the Phoenix Company and proprietor of the House Divine. Her actual mission on the Coast, the bitter truth behind the scandalous picnic on the frontlines and who mysterious Orlando really is… This and much more in the following interview!

What's in fashion these days?

Janette: Thank you for having me tonight, lady Netanya.
Netanya: The pleasure is all mine, madam Janette.
Janette: I will begin with a professional question... what colors are in fashion this season on the Sword Coast?
Netanya: Oh, darhling, that's such a challenging question because everyone tends to select colors that best compliment them. However, I must say my most recent customers to my custom clothiers service, House Divine, seem to favor a blend of lavender and green. Both colors are ideal for the summer season and I admire their selection.

What is House Divine?

Janette: I am more than convinced many our readers haven't heard about House Divine, though. Please tell me more about it.
Netanya: As I mentioned, House Divine is my custom clothier service. Myself and my personal stylist, Orlando, are the official proprietors. We assist our clients in improving aesthetic appearing of their wardrobe, whether it be standard clothing or armor. Myself and Orlando consider each piece of attire we craft for our customers an individual priceless work of art.
Janette: If I had to guess, the House Divine office is not in these parts of the Coast?
Netanya: Oh, no, we have no official office. I primarily use the Lodge here as our unofficial location for clients that wish to reach us. In time, as we expand our enterprise, perhaps we will purchase our own official shop.
Janette: I'm looking forward to it, lady Netanya. The dress I've purchased was truly incredible.
Netanya: Oh, we're quite pleased you were satisfied with the craftsmanship.

Netanya's noble origins

Janette: Sometimes I wonder what is the secret of your refined taste and style. Is this the society you've grown up in, a natural talent, breathless hard work... or a lot of these elements at once?
Netanya: Oh, darhling, I'm simply a product of my environment. Born into nobility in Suzail, we are instilled proper with mannerisms and decorum. We are taught how to properly eat, how to properly dress on any given occasion, how to address your fellow colleagues and such. Moreover, we are also taught how to dance. Notably, ballroom dancing. It helps to reinforce poise and posture while ensuring we still remain agile. And also we are exposed to the most exquisite cuisines and wines as well as high culture, and from this exposure yields refinement.
Janette: Balls do not seem to be popular in this region. You probably miss them, lady Netanya.
Netanya: Well, on occasion a Guild will often host a formal ball or some manner of soirée, but no, they're not as frequent here as they were in Suzail where balls were almost a weekly pastime amoung the nobility class. Though it is my intention to host a ball come winter here, in the Gate. It will be a Winter Solstice Gala. I hosted such a ball before some years ago and it was a most extravagant affair.

Her true mission

Janette: I am looking forward to attend this event. However, I wonder... A cormyrean noble moving to the Coast and joining the Phoenix Company from the scratch, later becoming one of the Council. What is the story behind such a life twist?
Netanya: Oh, I did not necessarily come here my choice. I was rather assigned here. My family in Suzail are wealthy silk merchants and they wished to expand their customer base, so they assigned each of my siblings a city to reside in for the purpose of on-boarding new clients from the nobility class. I, myself, was obviously assigned to come to Baldur's Gate. My three older siblings had the privilage of getting assigned to either Silverymoon, which would have been my personal choice, Neverwinter and Waterdeep, respectively. And my youngest sibling, the poor sod, was assigned to… wait for it, darhling… Luskan. But nonetheless, each of us was given a healthy stipend so that we can afford the basic luxuries such as our personal estate and serving staff.
Janette: I wonder what one has to do to promote a silken business in that land.
Netanya: Oh, I care not to think about it. That's certainly his problem, but I trust he's doing fine in Luskan. As far as what brought me to Pheonix Company? Well, I suppose that stems from the friendship I struck up with Madam Terri Xon who is the Company Administrator. She invited me to join the Company and eventually promoted me to Councilor. I've since helped her manage the affairs of the Company and when she has to embark on a prolonged sabbatical as she's currently doing, I'm left with managing the affairs of the Company in her absence. Tis a very affable Company, we're mostly an Adventuring Guild, we undertake various exploratory missions designed to search for rare treasures, artifacts and knowledge, and when called upon we particiapte in the defense of the Gate and do our part to help perserve the way of life here along the Sword Coast.
Janette: Yet, as I see it, your family assignment still continues, lady Netanya. If you are called back... would there be a conflict between this and your key role at the company? And what would you choose if you had to?
Netanya: Eventually, I'll be called back, but that won't likely be until some time and many human generations. Would I return? Likely yes, I do miss Suzail and all the trappings of nobility it afforded me, but at the same time, it will be difficult to part with the many friendly acquaintances I've made here on the Sword Coast during my tenure. But nothing is forever and we all have to eventually accept the changes life thrusts upon us.

Her secret powers

Janette: While seen unarmed and in luxurious attires most of the time, it is rumored that you're having outstanding archery skills. It makes me wonder what other unique powers and skills you possess.
Netanya: Archery is my primary martial talent, I rely on none other. Back in Suzail, archery is taught to us at a young age and reinforced as we age, though it was more of a sport than a means of self-defense. However, it didn't stop me and my closest colleagues from venturing into the King's Forest, just north of Suzail, to hunt orcs and other threats just as many adventurers here in the Gate are wanted to do. It was considered risky for nobles such as ourselves to make such ventures, but we had masterfully honed our trade. After some time, we were more of a threat to the orcs than the orcs to us.
Janette: Such ventures certainly forge character. You've come to the Coast prepared to face its dangers... including the fabled Devil War where you and the Company were taking part. While reasons for joining the warfare are out of question, I would like to ask a more... bizarre question.
Netanya: Certainly.

Scandal on the frontlines

Janette: You are known for your love for picnics, lady Netanya. And as I was told, the war wasn't an exception and some... warriors were unhappy with your leisure time. Please tell me more about this.
Netanya: Oh, you were told this? Hmm. I see I still live rent free on someone's head. But yes, I don't do anything I regret, but it helps if you have context. First, let's set the scene. There was a skirmish at Winding Waters which used to be a front for the Devil War. I, as well as many adventurers, would occasionally venture there to help maintain the bulwark. So one day I ventured there with the intention of lending my bow as I've done before... and yes, I found some of my colleagues there, but I also happened upon Griel Nightgale who was also present, barking orders to anyone who happened to show up that day. Not just Griel, but also his cadre of henchmen from the Ebon Blades. Are you familiar with the Ebon Blade by chance, madam Janette?
Janette: I can not say I am, unfortunately...
Netanya: Well, let me inform you. The Ebon Blades are or were a Mercenary Guild of Banites loosely affiliated with the Zhentarium. In either case, perhaps a year or two prior the "picnic incident”, the Ebon Blades issued a bounty for the assassination of madam Terri Xon and her betrothed mr. Vendor Xon. Their minions also targeted members of Phoenix Company for assassination. I, myself, was explicitly targeted by a Guy Masterson, one of their minions. He had attacked our guards you passed entering the Lodge and openly attempted to assassinate me. Fortunately, he didn't succeed. Also, it should be added that during this period the Ebon Blades attempted to set our Lodge ablaze. Well, they actually did, but the damage was minimal.
Janette: What happened when you met again, at the Winding Water?
Netanya: That was the context... now let's return to the "picnic incident”. As I mentioned, when I arrived at the bulwark to lend my bow, there was Griel. Yes, the same Griel who unapologetically sent his henchmen after me and my Company colleagues the year prior. I decided at that day I wasn't going to fight alongside the same faction that attempted to assassinate me, so yes, I coldly stepped away from the frontline to set up my picnic, complete with wine and candles, and watched the Ebon Blades and Devils slaughter each other. Could I have simply left? Yes. Could I have fought alongside them with the others individuals who were there that were not affiliated with the Ebon Blades? Yes. But I had already decided I wasn't going to fight shoulder to shoulder with a faction who wanted me dead. If others wished to do so, well, that's was their prerogative. Do I regret it? No. Do I care that others who have no impact on my affairs who still whine and stomp their feet over it and tell anyone who's willing to listen how cold I was that day? No.
Janette: So you were sending a message rather than enjoying a picnic in a spare time, or this was both?
Netanya: I openly admit it was both. I enjoyed watching the Devils and the Ebon Blades attack each other. Neither one was my ally so I elected to not pick sides that day. So not only was I unwilling to fight alongside these murderers, I was definitely not inclined to take orders from them. And that is the unwashed and raw truth. I have no desire to suger coat my sentiment that day.

The truth about Orlando

Janette: One last question I'd like to ask is... about the legendary Orlando. Tell me more about him.
Netanya: Who is the man, the myth, the legend that is Orlando, you ask? Orlando is not only my personal stylist who is responsible the specimen you see before you, but he also an AHR-tist. Not to be confused with a standard "artist". No... no... he pours his very soul and essence into his work. He attempts to infuse his work with life and character. Everything he crafts, whether it be my hair, or wardrobe, or a piece of armor, is considered a priceless work of art to him.
Janette: You made an interesting point here, lady Netanya... It seems nobody has ever seen mister Orlando. Is it due to his value for privacy?
Netanya: Oh no, darhling, there lies the rub. You do not see Orlando. Orlando sees you. He's extremely particular as one would expect from an AHR-tist. He his work is his livelihood, it's the medium which he resides. For him to step outside his medium the matter must be of eminent importance. Now could I grant you an interview with Orlando? Certainly, but it requires me to almost literally pull his teeth.
Janette: That would've been a sensational material.
Netanya: Perhaps next time, darhling. But if you really desire, I can have a few words with him. I cannot promise you the sky. He may make demands that may appear unreasonable.
Janette: Not necessary... I would be ashamed to drag the artist out of his workshop for a mere conversation.
Netanya: AHR-tist... he makes it a point to draw the distinction.
Janette: It is apparent that a person with such... modest publicity incites various gossips. That Orlando could be a myth, or even an alias of Netanya herself. How would you comment any rumors of this kind?
Netanya: Well, we're almost practically the same person with the exception being that we're physically not. But we share the same taste. If others wish to believe him to be a myth, that's their prerogative. It doesn't hurt his brand.

Cheers, my dear readers

Janette: In the conclusion... could you recommend your three favorite sorts of wine to our readers?
Netanya: But of course... A 1329 Calimshan Red, aged in a ancient oak barrels which rounds out the flavor while infusing the wine with boldness. Winter Wine, I adore its dry crispness. And Thayan Wine, I enjoy the infusion of herbs and spices.
Janette: It was a pleasure to have a conversation with you, lady Netanya.
Netanya: It was certainly my pleasure to grant you an audience, darhling.

Urgent Flu!' gazette, volume 2, 1st of Marpenoth, 1356.
Investigated and written by Janette Skein.

Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Candlekeep Lore Volume I, Second Edition
Revised by Scribe Edelgarde Spades

This book is the second edition of Volothorp Geddarm's 'Guide to the Sword Coast', transcribed by Former Archivist Reineke Ingenium, Seeker at the time, intended as primer for new and aspiring Acolytes and Protectors, so they may learn of Candlekeep and its mission. This reviewed version is up to date with the changes recently made.

Index:
A Description - pg 2
Hierarchy - Volume Two
Uniforms - Volume Three
Alaundo - Volume Three

Chapter 1 - Candlekeep, A Description

This citadel of learning stands on a volcanic horn, or crag, overlooking the sea. It is a many-towered fortress, once the home of the famous seer Alaundo, and preserves his predictions along with all the written records and learning of the Realms that can be assembled. The price for any traveler to enter the Keep proper is a book. Those wishing to examine any writing in the Keep's library must gift Candlekeep with a new tome or no less than 100,000 gp value. The monks of Candlekeep (who claim to be nondenominational, and call themselves the Avowed) also purchase certain books brought to them and even commission agents in great secrecy to procure writings they desire to possess. Those who wish to browse in the library are often sponsored by a known mage of power, so many books given to Candlekeep in payment are minor spellbooks.
This community is ruled by the Keeper of the Tomes, assisted by the First Reader (the second in authority and traditionally the most learned sage of the monastery).
There are up to eight Great Readers under these two offices, who are assisted by the Chanter, the Guide, and the Gatewarden. The Chanter leads the endless chant of Alaundo's prophecies that wends its way around the citadel day and night in continuous utterance of the sage's predictions. He is spelled in this duty by three assistants, the Voices: the Voice of the North, the Voice of the East, and the Voice of the South. The Guide is in charge of teaching Acolytes, and the Gatewarden deals with visitors, the security of and supplies for the community, and with the clergy, who are regarded as honored guests rather than part of the monastery's hierarchy.

The citadel bears mighty, many-layered wards that prevent anything from burning except wicks and wax, prevent the operation of teleportational magics and many other destructive spells, kill all molds and insects (such as paper wasps), prohibit the entry of bookworms, and have other, secret properties. Because of the wards candle lamps are often used, but no paper can ignite anywhere in the Keep. An additional ward prohibits entry into the Inner Rooms except to those bearing a token. The Inner Rooms are where the most powerful magical tomes are kept and where none but the Great Readers may go, except in the direct company of the Keeper or the First Reader.
The central, highest fortress of the Keep is surrounded by a terraced rock garden of many trees, where natural springs rise and bubble down the rocks in small cascades and pools. These beautiful grounds descend into a ring of buildings along the inside of the massive outer walls: guesthouses, stables, granaries, a warehouse, an infirmary, a temple of Oghma, and shrines to Deneir, Gond, and Milil.

Except in the cases of illness or when someone joins the order as an acolyte, no visitor can remain in Candlekeep for more than ten days at a time, or enter the monastery less than a month after leaving it. Order in the Keep is kept by the Gatewarden's five underofficers: four Watchers (who take turns patrolling the monastery and watching the land and sea around from its tallest towers) and the Keeper of the Portal (or gate guard), all five of whom have 12 armed monks (all experienced warriors) as assistants. These underofficers are also said to wield magical rods and rings to enforce their will.

Acolytes are robed in black. Seekers wear robes of mauve or blue and they do research, fetch and carry. When the first edition was published, the Seekers were the lowest monks. Above them were the Scribes, who copy out works to order or compile books from various sources in the library for sale - the chief source of income for the community. Over them were the Chanter and the Readers, from whose ranks the offices of the Avowed are filled, and who vote to fill vacancies.
Under Guide Isabella Villame, the hierarchy was changed. The first rank above Acolyte is still Seeker, however after six months of service, a Seeker can become Senior Avowed and choose between Scribe, Reader and Senior Seeker. The latter keep gathering knowledge outside of the keep, but they are also in charge of instructing the other Seekers on their role. These three ranks are hierarchically equivalent and their members all wear robes of blue.
All the underofficers wear brown homespun, while the holders of the high offices wear robes of various colors that bear adornments of gold thread and stripes of white. Only the Keeper of the Tomes can wear robes of all white. Travelers who enter the Keep proper clad all in white can expect to be stripped on the spot or cast out.
The current Keeper of the Tomes is Ulraunt, a proud and haughty minor mage. It is well not to cross him. The traveler should humble himself to avoid doing so or try to keep out of the Keeper's notice. The current First Reader, Tethtoril, is often mistaken by visitors for the Keeper because of his intelligent, regal and sensitive demeanor. Ulraunt rather resents this.

Candlekeep has but one absolute rule: "Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed." Here, books are more valuable than people.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Candlekeep Lore Volume II, Second Edition

This book is the second edition of Volothorp Geddarm's 'Guide to the Sword Coast', transcribed by Former Archivist Reineke Ingenium, intended as primer for new and aspiring Acolytes and Protectors, so they may learn of Candlekeep and its mission. This reviewed version is up to date with the changes recently made.

Index:
Candlekeep, A Description - Volume I
Hierarchy - pg 2
Uniforms - Volume III
Alaundo - Volume III

Chapter Two: Candlekeep's Hierarchy
Keeper of the Tomes (Currently Ulraunt)

Great Readers

Chanter, Guide, Gatewarden

Keeper of the Portal

Voices, Readers, Scribes, Senior Seekers, Watchers

Seekers, Guards

Acolytes, Guards in Training

Keeper of the Tomes: The Keeper of the Tomes directs Candlekeep at its head. The Guide, the Chanter, and the Gatewarden all answer directly to the Keeper of the Tomes. The Keeper of the Tomes is also able to veto anything that the Great Readers put before him, although it is not often that the Keeper exercises this right.

First Reader: The Great Readers form Candlekeep's governing council, and convene regularly to decide issues of state. They also determine the times and the topics of Candlekeep's seasonal voting sessions. They are able to pass issues and edicts, but only after the Keeper of the Tomes has approved them.

Guide: The Guide oversees the majority of Candlekeep's scholars and monks. It is the Guide's duty to ensure that the monastery is running smoothly on a day-to-day basis, and that the Avowed are well taken care of and properly represented.

Reader:Candlekeep's Readers are in charge of instructing and promoting Acolytes of the Order. They are also expected to perform original research, to assist guests and visitors and to lead the other scholars and monks when a higher-ranking official is not to be found.

Scribe The Scribes of Candlekeep make the monastery most of its revenues. They copy books for guests, provide Phyldia with scrolls of magic, and write original works of lore. The Scribes have made at least one copy of every tome in Candlekeep's library, and an entire 'mirror library' is rumored to be hidden somewhere else in Faerun. Candlekeep-made books always bear the keep's symbol: a castle with flames burning atop its towers.

Senior Seeker Senior Seekers have the same duties Seekers have, but in addition they oversee the other Seekers and can act on behalf of the Guide like the other Senior Avowed.

Seeker: Candlekeep's Seekers are charged with the task of seeking knowledge outside the monastery. They do this in many ways: some choose to travel from village to village, from city to city, collecting lore and magic, while others prefer to delve into dungeons, explore ruins, and sneak into dangerous places, where fabled and forgotten texts await their adventurous acquisition.

Acolyte Acolytes are probationary members of the Order of Candlekeep. They cannot call themselves "of the Avowed", because they have yet to take their vows, and can be asked to leave Candlekeep for any reason. Most Acolytes are long-term students, learning to become scholars and wizards, before determining whether they would like to join Candlekeep's Order or not. Others are elder scholars who are only Acolytes for as long as it takes them to learn Candlekeep's laws, traditions, and customs.

Chanters: The Chanter, the Voice of the West, is charged with the important task of ensuring that Candlekeep's thirty-odd chanters are always and forever chanting the unfulfilled prophecies of Alaundo. The Chanter's five personal aides are allowed to chant the prophecies of the West, but only the Chanter is to be called the "Voice of the West".

Voice of the North: The Voices of the North memorize and chant those of Alaundo's prophecies which concern or come out of the Northern reaches of Faerun.

Voice of the East: The Voices of the East memorize and chant those of Alaundo's prophecies which concern or come out of the Eastern reaches of Faerun.

Voice of the South: The Voices of the South memorize and chant those of Alaundo's prophecies which concern or come out of the Southern reaches of Faerun.

Gatewarden: The Gatewarden is charged with Candlekeep's security and defense. She leads the Candlekeep Guard, oversees promotions and adjustments within the Guard's ranks, and ensures that the Guard is well-trained and provisioned.

Keeper of the Portal: The Keeper of the Portal oversees the coming and going of guests, with the assistance of several gate guards. She represents Candlekeep's first line of defense against external threats and operates as the Gatewarden's second-in-command.

Watcher: The four Watchers patrol the walls and the grounds of Candlekeep, watching for trouble, assisting where needed, and otherwise ensuring that Candlekeep's Guard is running smoothly.

Guard: Candlekeep's guards are trained to defend Candlekeep and the Avowed from attack, to man its gate and greet visitors, and to watch for and apprehend internal troublemakers. The Guard also escorts the Avowed outside of Candlekeep, to protect the wayward scholars from harm.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Candlekeep Lore Volume III, Second Edition

This book is the second edition of Volothorp Geddarm's 'Guide to the Sword Coast', transcribed by Former Archivist Reineke Ingenium, intended as primer for new and aspiring Acolytes and Protectors, so they may learn of Candlekeep and its mission. This reviewed version is up to date with the changes recently made.

Index:
Candlekeep, A Description - Volume I
Hierarchy - Volume II
Uniforms - pg 2
Alaundo - pg 3

The uniforms of Candlekeep denote the ranks within Candlekeep. While these uniforms occasionally change, they are accurate as of 3 Uktar 1356.

Guards will wear blue, preferably showing their Candlekeep insigna.

Acolytes will wear black robes.

Seekers, Senior Seekers, Scribes, and Readers will wear mauve or blue robes.

Higher officers will wear what they desire, along with the adornments of their office. However, no one but the Keeper of the Tomes is allowed to wear predominantly white attire.

Alaundo
Alaundo lived from -22 to 76 DR. He was the son of a minor traitor to the state. He began making organized recorded prophecies in -2 DR. when he left his family to live as hermit and a shepherd in the Dales (which one is unrecorded). His prophecies were recorded in private over the next 75 years. Legend says that Alaundo saw a vision of his own impending death, so he journeyed to Candlekeep to donate his records for posterity, arriving in 75 DR. He died there, almost unmourned, of a plague the next year.

The sages at the library were so amazed by the accuracy of the predictions that starting in 82DR, the monks there began a never-ending "Chant of the unfulfilled prophecies" which has continued uninterrupted to this day. All of Alaundo's books have been committed to memory by the thirty monks devoted to the task. As a prophecy comes to pass, the monks remove it from their chant.
Supposedly, Alaundo's skull was stolen shortly after his death. It is a priceless relic venerated by the faithful of Deneir, Oghma, and Savras. It is said that the bearer of the skull could speak to Alaundo directly using a 'speak with the dead' spell.

Alaundo used the roll of years in labeling his prophecies. Some believe that he actually invented the Roll of Years, but this is likely not accurate, as it appears the Roll of Years was Started in -422 DR by a sage named Augathra the Mad.

There are three types of predictions that Alaundo has written: Laconic (or symbolic), Detailed, and Conditional.

Here is an example of a detailed Phropecy:

"Twelve days 'fore Greengrass, his last rally mounts
Azzer-ash shall leave his men but for one
To him, he will name barons and viscounts
And there disclose his dream to his son.

His vision entails his own demise
Unheralded beneath the north sea wave
He'll ask his memory be kept alive
His name invoked in war and peace to save.

Two days hence, the dragons shall roar its last
The proud king's body shall never be found
His soldiers will keep his memory fast
His kingdom shall become his sacred ground.

The eternal king nigh thirteen score year
Inclement tyrant and holy savior."

- Fifth Portents

It is commonly believed that this prophecy refers to the great general Tchazzer of Chessenta, who in 1018 DR was lost in a lone battle against the sahuagin, his body never recovered. After his death, his name became invoked by local warriors who honor his memory or do well in battle. Within ten years, and organized church of Tchazzer arose, with a priesthood capable of casting some basic spells.

Credit for this information goes to Frank Penca, in his article on Alaundo's Prophecies, found at www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/alaundo.htm
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Poems of a Myrkulite Vol II
by Crathaidh

Poems of a Myrkulite

---===::::::===---

Volume Two

--

V

The Crossing
-+-

A solemn bridge in moonlight stood
where souls would pass, but there took root
a lone sentinel in blackened steel.
Watching quiet as they came foot and heel.

The burdened folk drew ever near,
seeking passage, denied - then fear!
These souls would then bend the knee and kneel
as they came closer to fate, foot and heel.

A masked shadow spoke in dark tones.
The voice spoke of the Lord of Bones.
It herald in rekindled fear of death,
all before the mace, the dark knight's wrath.

A third soul came and wondered still
what of loyalties, pure or frail?
Lady of the forests, life - then death.
Saw relations, then followed down the path.

-+-+-+-

VI

The Pamphlet of Promise
-+-

I have witnessed the rooms of those who rest eternal - waiting reticent for us to pull them from their still waters. In death they may still walk to fulfill the will of the Lord of Bones. his divine servants.

But their lives are finally complete. Their souls free from earthly torment. Released.

But for me, there is no clemency. No release. I trudge through a black path filled with tormented voices and the screams of the dying - so they don't have to.

I bring them to their kin. So that they too may be reminded of the grave. Their laconic lives.
The sensation of what lies ahead. They call it fear. I call it promise. Kindness.

A way to set them on the right path. A way to our Lord's cold but faithful embrace. To tear them away from a fate worse - an existence of suffering at the Wall.

I must. To keep their wails from tearing at my soul.

I must wonder what alcove will hold my bones. And for how long...

-+-+-+-

VII

The Sum of Life / The Trade of Blades
-+-

An old lounge of dreams,
Broken and crumbling,
Sat among moonbeams,
Lightning the bumbling.

The corpses that walk.
Many but numbered,
Will never more talk,
Silent they lumbered.

Up and down the road,
Artery of trades,
Baator they forebode,
Thoroughfare of Blades.

Black of ebony,
When heed took a hold,
Then green of envy,
And three voices called.

"One then two, and three
Four and one - one lost."
"The reckoner be,
The one that you cost."

-+-+-+-

VIII

Crow's Bailiwick
-+-

The ruins by the Tradeway stood,
engulfed not by gull - but corvi.
Amidst the old wheathered stone,
A figure masked and under hood.

The cowled crow did caw,
And it did plead for a deal.
Fie the midnight rose,
Treachery none foresaw.

She called in the knight (night)
"Strike it down, bring its end."
The hooded figure died,
Then corvi made our flesh rend.

Caw and cackle - then battle,
The corvi lay vanguished,
The hooded figure dead.

From its corpse a band of white,
Upon which perched the head,
A black crow,
Not alive - nor dead.

It harbored words made,
Just like the ring ran round.
It spoke of bonds and bailiwick,
Tyrants and Eight.

-+-+-+-

Know mortal - that you are being watched by death's unseeing and gloom sockets and guided to your end by his tongueless and silent voice. Your end draws nearer with every word and every breath.

You are finite.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Torilian History I
The Days of Thunder
Compiled by by Scribe Edelgarde Spades

(OOC: all credit to http://dnd.eizzn.com/)

-35000 DR to -30000 DR
This earliest days of recorded history begins at the end of a great Ice Age, some 37,000 years ago, when the last glaciations largely ended and the great ocean receded to reveal dry land. In this ancient time before The Sundering, the lands which would one day be identified as Faerun, Kara-Tur, Maztica, and Zakhara were each but one part of a much larger super-continent named Merrouroboros.

While life spread quickly, none of the dozen or so common races which populate the world today existed in this distant era. Though scholars believe humans did exist during this time, they were primitive and apelike, using only simple tools and living in caves. Unintelligent reptiles known as Thunderers ruled the land, sea, and sky. By the end of the first millennium post Ice Age, primitive bands of hunter-gatherer lizardfolk lived along the fertile waters of what is now modern-day Durpar, exploiting game, lake-fish, and wild plants of all kinds. Unlike the Thunderers, the sauroids possessed superior intellect and tactical sense. In time they would become known as the sarrukh, the first of the mighty creator races, also known as Iqua-Tel'Quessir.

c. -35000 DR - Rise of the Sarrukh Empires (sauroid creator race)

The introduction of cattle, sheep, and goats revolutionizes farming in the Durpar region. Herdes are semi-nomadic, driving their animals between seasonal pastures. By -35,000 DR, desertifiation of Durpar begins perhaps in part because of overgrazing. The herders' respond by migrating northwest to a region of semi-arid savanna they name Okoth.
In Okoth, south of modern-day Mulhorand, the sarrukh found their first permanent settlements. Early sarrukh villages are dominated by temple complexes dedicated to the worship of the World Serpent. Most sarrukh settlements of this period have a population between two and eight thousand people, though Daar Mundigak itself, the largest city in Okoth, has over ten thousand.

c. -34800 DR
The sarrukh establish the realm of Mhairshaulk, on the Chultan Peninsula. The Mhairshaulkans are believed to have created nagas, pterafolk, troglodytes, and yuan-ti, as well as numerous other races long since lost.

c. -34200 DR

The sarrukh civilization enters a new troubled phase as they had conquered so many races that they had became the minority in their own empire.

Writing is invented as an aid to administration in communities. The earliest sarrukh signs are pictographs scribed on clay tablets then dried. The sarrukh writing systems are widely adopted by their slaves.

c. -34100 DR - Fall of Okoth
After a century of civil strife that drove many sarrukh of Okoth to the planes, the Okoth Empire collapses.

These travelers increasingly embraced their darker nature, but the legends say a few dissenters, despairing of their kindred's push toward evil, broke off from the main group and a fragment of the World Serpent, who transformed them into couatls. A bitter war ensued and the couatls were forced to flee to Abeir-Toril, where they eventually settled in Maztica. The god Qotal embraced them as his divine minions.

After the war with the couatls, the sarrukh begin to explore the Barrens of Doom and Despair, but after some time they secretly return to Faerun and begin skulking around the ruins of Okoth, on the shores of the Azulduth.

c. -34000 DR

It is believed that the first human appear in the northern savannas of Katashaka. They soon migrate outward to populate the rest of the world.
In the lands south of Mhairshaulk, human tribes depended on fishing, hunting and herding to sustain themselves. Some tribes, however, utilize irrigation techniques which allowed them to take up pastoral farming.

Unfortunately the proximity of primitive human tribes to Mhairshaulk proved disastrous. Sarrukh raiding parties routinely patrolled Thinguth lands returning to Mhairshaulk with humans for food or slavery. A few are experimented upon by their sarrukh captors. Tainted and augmented by sarrukh magic, it is theorized these unfortunate individuals in time become known as vrael olo, the yuan-ti.

c. -33800 DR - Fall of Isstosseffifil

In an effort to drown the phaerimm of Phaerlin (known today as the Buried Realms in the Underdark) and dispatch their enemies in one masterful stroke, Isstossef wizards rerouted the Narrow Sea so that it ran from east to west, inundating the land around the chain of hills known today as the Tagorlar with water. Although the Isstossef succeeded in driving the phaerimms deep into the Underdark, the massive ecological change resulting from their weavings of Art caused the Isstosseffifil empire to collapse.
The survivors retreated into lichdom.

c. -33500 DR - Fall of Mhairshaulk

Sarrukh-ruled Mhairshaulk, faced with starvation, declines gradually, sinking slowly into somnolence. The sarrukhs begin a cycle in which thousand-year hibernations alternate with brief periods of activity, during which food gathering and procreation could take place. The empire becomes the domain of the yuan-ti.

Rise of the Batrachi Empire

The batrachi (creator race) are also known as amphibioids or creators of the bullywugs, doppelgangers, kopru, kuo-toa, locathah, sivs, tako, and other shapeshifters, amphibious or piscine races. The first sea born batrachi begin to flourish in the mild northern currents of the Black Sea known as the Fertile Crescent. The supply of mussels and other shell fish are so rich that in some areas the hunter-gatherer population could settle in semi-permanent villages. It is most likely during this time many batrachi begins to undergo metamorphosis to walk upon the land.

c. -31500 DR

Batrachi power reaches its zenith under the High One. Although his reign ends when he is slain in battle with the titan thane Omo.

War between the Batrachi and the Giants

Ostoria takes the offensive against the batrachi. The batrachi battle the jotunbrud for centuries, neither side gaining an advantage.

c. -31000 DR - End of the Batrachi and Giants War

The conflict between the Batrachi and the giants of Ostoria comes to an abrupt end when a meteorite falls from the sky devastating much of the lands within central Merrouroboros. A large fragment of it carves a gorge so deep to form the Sea of Fallen Stars. Severe earthquakes rocked the region for weeks afterwards. Within a year, the Batrachi Empire had fallen into ruin.
The impact threw up a thick cloud of dust obscuring the sun for seven years. Only those peoples possessing great magic or divine protection survived the mass extinction.

In the weeks following the Tearfall, tens of thousands of dragon eggs begin hatching across Merrouroboros. These precursor wyrms possessed no wings, no magic, no dragon breath, and in the case of seawurms no legs. They were warm blooded and possessed greater intelligence.

c. -30700 DR - Lammasu Massacre
Around this time landwyrms are domesticated and named wyverns by the aearee. Thanks to its new wyvern armies, the Aearee-Krocaa empire expands rapidly.

c. -30500 DR - Rise of the Aearee Empires (avian creator races)

The Aearee seize opportunity by occupying the fallen Batrachi lands.

In the west, the Aearee-Krocaa, followers of the All-Father Krocaa, establish the grand aerie of Viakoo on Mount Havraquoar, which becomes the capital of their great nation. Mount Havroquoar stood far west of where the Sword Coast ends today. The great kokra aerie at Viakoo governed its lands fairly and forges lasting friendships with couatl, fey and other denizens of Anchorome.

In the north, the Aearee-Syran establish their capital at the aerie of Phwiukree, in the peaks of the Star Mounts. They enjoyed the special favor of Korcaa's daughter, who they praised as their patron.

In the southeast, the Aearee-Quor carve out the domain of Shara from their rookery in the Orsraun Mountains. The Aearee-Quor's patron was Quolinn, whose wits and cunning inspired in their hearts a fierce pride and determined self-reliance. They grew into a loose affiliation of floating city-states that would eventually span the breadth of the continent.

An Aearee named Sieska Waewielonn discovers the name of a demon lord and becomes lord of Okwalok-Shara. Soon all the rookeries of Aearee-Quor abandones the faith of Quorlin and turns to the demon, who teaches them how to summon Vrocks, but taking from them their power of flight. Sieska then wages war on the other Aeraree nations to the north and west. Aearee-Krocaa is the first to fall. Aearee-Syran, defends. In the end, Mornungongbarae the treant rises up and brings down the Quor floating city, but at the cost of his own life.
Back to the index
Last edited by Almarea90 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Torilian History II
The Dawn Ages
Compiled by Scribe Edelgarde Spades

-30000 DR to -24000 DR
The empires of the creator races fade into memory, ushering in the Time of Dragons and the Time of Giants. Individual dragons and dragon clans rule large swaths of territory and battle with their rivals for control of the lands, seas, and skies. During this period of devastating warfare among the dragons of Faerun, isolated pockets of formerly dragon-ruled territory fall under giant control. Over time, such giant-ruled kingdoms come to threaten the hegemony of dragonkind, leading to great battles between giant kingdoms and dragon-ruled realms.
This time of conflict plunges Merrourboros into a four-thousand-year-long "dark age". The fey are particularly active in Merrourboros during this period, using their small size and potent magic to aggravate the wyrms at every opportunity.

-30000 DR - Fall of the Aearee Empires

The Time of Dragons is ushered in as dragons across Faerun swarm together in the first Flight of Dragons. They assail the avians in the air, on the land, and beneath the ground. They fall upon the home nest of Viakoo and burn the city from the sky.
In the caverns beneath the Orsraun Mountains, the wyrms rampage through the ancestral hatcheries of Shara and claim the kingdom as their own. The first dragon kingdom is born. Sharan aearee survivors escape deeper into the Underdark, where the feral and twisted descendants of the Aearee-Quor become the dire corbies.

The survivors of Viakoo flee west across the ocean to the land called Anchorome. Legends say five of their cities flee to the stars.

Some few repentant Aearee-Quor begs Quorlinn for his mercy, and he leads them to Kara-Tur to find refuge with their long lost cousins, the tengu. Descendants of these people call themselves kenku.

The Ba'etith create the Golden Skins of the World Serpent, known today as the Nether Scrolls.

-30000 DR
In the south, it is said the first human civilizations are devastated by a dreadful creature called Tarrasque, which pushes southward from the Black Sea. Only the humans of northern Maztica, under the protection of the feathered serpent Qotal, escape enslavement.

The great giant god Annam All-Father marries Othea, a lesser demigoddes of Toril. Their union produces eight terrestrial children. Ostoria, the Colossal Kingdom, is founded by Annam in honor of his sons.

War of the Seldarine

Araushnee is cast down into the Demonweb Pits, where she becomes the demon-goddess Lolth.
For his betrayal, the solar Malkizid (who served the whole Seldarine and seduced into betrayal by Araushnee) is branded (a constantly bleeding wound on his forehead, giving him the title "the Branded King") and thrown down into the Nine Hells by Corellon Larethian. There, he quickly rose in the hierarchy of Hell and soon controlled his own dominion (although, at some point later, he loses favor with Asmodeus and is exiled from the Nine Hells to take up residence in the Blood Rift, the native plane of the yugoloths).

-29500 DR - Dragonfall War
The Dragonfall War, a conflict between the followers of Bahamut and Tiamat that persists to this day, starts.

c. -29000 DR to -14000 DR - The First Epoch of Seros

All the races currently living under the Sea of Fallen Stars take to the waters during this period, which only the whales have much knowledge of. This Epoch ends with the elven migration into Seros, and their rise to power.

c. -28000 DR

The Colossal Kingdom reaches its height, stretching across Faerun from the Cold Lands to the Vilhon Reach.

-27500 DR

For the next four thousand years a succession of dragon empires dominate central Merrouroboros. Notable among these empires is the Demesne of Atranjikhera, ruled by the desert landwyrm Argissthilliax. The wasteland empires' rule was harsh.

While the empires of dragonkind waxed and waned, the giant tribes united once again and spread to cover most of northeastern Merrouroboros. The Colossal Kingdom as it comes to be known is divided into several regions, one for each jotunbrud tribe.

In Katashaka, Tarrasque's grip over humanity loosens allowing the steppe peoples to pioneer the use of horses. This development enhances their nomadic lifestyle giving the human tribes sufficient speed and mobility to manage large herds over vast ranges.

c. -27000 DR

Continuing their work to undermine dragon rule, the Fey open new gates allowing the first elves to immigrate to Toril. These primitive green elves worship the Faerie gods. Although most green elves are content to remain in small scattered tribes, one group known as the Ilythiiri negotiates with the dragons and begins to carve out a small kingdom in the south. The great Ilythiiri capital at Atorrnash remains a shining beacon of elf culture for millennia.

-26000 DR - Thousand Year War

An avatar of the draconic deity Garyx leads red dragons in battle against the giants of Ostoria. Eventually all of dragonkind is drawn into the conflict, which rages on and off for a thousand years. Upon its conclusion, Ostoria has shrunk to only a shadow of its former self. The Colossal Kingdom now occupies only the northern most edge of the continent.

Othea, mother of giantkind, pursues a series of unsatisfying affairs with various powers such as Vaprak, father of the ogre race.

c. -25500 DR

Othea begins an affair with Ulutiu, a minor sea god of the Savage Frontier. The union of Othea and Ulutiu ultimately produces four sons: firbolg, verbeeg, voadkyn, and formorian.

-25500 DR - First Rage of Dragons

The Dracorage mythal incites the Rage of Dragons, a madness driving all dragonkind into mindless destruction as well as turning them against their own offspring. Draconic rule begins to fade from this point on.

c. -25400 DR
Fleeing the destruction of their kingdom on their home world of Faerie, a small circle of gold elves led finds their new home on the world of Toril and then creates a portal leading there. The refugees name their new home Faerun, the One Land, and the name of Merrourboros fades into history. Integrating into the native green elf communities, the descendants of the gold elves become known as sun elves, while the descendants of the sole silver elf refugee, Sharlario Moonflower, become known as moon elves. By the end of the first millennium since their arrival, the moon and gold elves had built great cities that rival ancient Atorrnash.

c. -25100 DR

The elven leader Durothil becomes the first dragonride, but is later slain in battle with the red dragon known to the green elves as Master of the Mountains.
c. -25000 DR
First mentions of Ironfang Keep, a stronghold built on the cliffs of the White River overlooking the Dragons' Sea (modern-day Moonsea) appear in draconic legends.

End of the Thousand Year War[/center}

Ostoria reaches a truce with the dragons and the reign of giants comes to an end. Ostoria has shrunk to only a shadow of its former self. The Colossal Kingdom now occupies only the northernmost edge of Faerun.

The Draco Holy Wars

Quick upon the heals of the truce with the giants that ended the Thousand Year War, a sect of silver dragons launches a sneak attack against the gold dragons claiming the sole divine favor of the deity Asgorath. Soon all of dragonkind is drawn into the conflict. Their ranks already depleted from the war with the giants, this five hundred year conflict is enough to significantly deplete the dragon population on Toril and actually threaten extinction.

c. -24500 DR

Both sun and moon elf communities build great cities that rival the magnificence of ancient Atorrnash. The sun elf city of Occidian is heralded as the center of elven music and dance, while the moon elf city of Sharlarion is unrivaled as the crossroads of trade and commerce.

Kobolds and urds become the first of the dragonspawn.

c. -24400 DR

Lolth's attention is drawn to Toril for the first time.

The elf city of Occidian is sacked by a horde of orcs led by the abyssal fiend Haeshkarr. The horde and Haeshkarr are defeated by the elves at great cost.
Back to the index
Last edited by Almarea90 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Torilian History III
The Sundering
Compiled by Scribe Edelgarde Spades

-24000 DR to -12000 DR
The great elf civilizations of Faerun reach their peak during this age. As a result of the elves' success against the orcs, dragons, and giants, the other races thrive in safety and begin the slow climb to civilization.

During the next several millennia, elf civilizations mark time by the reigns of rulers. The Elven word rysar is used to define a span of important time or generation, depending on its context. As a time measurement in this context, one Rysar encompasses the reign of a particular ruler, or coronal.

-24000 DR to -23000 DR - Couatle War

For centuries the couatls (Called into service by the god Ubtao, an army of winged serpents arrives in the jungles of Chult from Maztica) and the yuan-ti battle each other for control of the Chultan Peninsula. Time and again the yuan-ti are forced to concede their westernmost holdings to the couatls, until the war ends in a stalemate with the Hazur Mountains as the dividing line between the two territories.

Yuan-ti ruled Mhairshaulk has all but collapsed, thanks to repeated assaults on its cities by the great wyrms of the south.

-24000 DR
Many scholars believe the Sundering happened around this period. The most common theory is that hundreds of High Mages assembled to create the new elven home of Evermeet. They cast a spell of elven High Magic designed to create a glorious elf homeland. On the Day of Birthing, the magic reaches its apex and Merrourboros, the one land, is sundered apart by the unbridled force of the Sundering. As a result, hundreds of cities are washed away, thousands of elves lie dead, and the face of Toril is changed forever. The name Faerun, no longer the One Land, is given to the largest continent. Surrounded by vast expanses of water, the island of Evermeet breaks the surface of the Trackless Sea. Blessed by the goddess Angharradh, verdant forests and wildlife soon flourish across the island. Corellon Larethian wards Evermeet against Lolth, Malar, and the other powers of the anti-Seldarine.

This event is noted as occurring in -17600 DR by some documents.

In the wake of the Sundering, many humans of Azuposi descent find themselves on mainland Faerun or scattered on newly created islands of the Trackless Sea. By -3000 DR these humans would become known as the Illuskan people.
Other human tribes also find themselves abandoned on mainland Faerun cut off from their homeland on Katashaka. Concentrated primarily in the south along the shores of the Great Sea, these tribes are known as the Tashalan, Lapal, Shaaran, and the Durpari.

The celestial dragon T'ien Lung leads a tribe of humans north and east to settle in Kara-Tur and the Far East.

c. -23900

The forest community of Sharlarion survives the Sundering nearly complete. These fortunate elves increases their number and spread into the surrounding forest, hills, and lowlands.
The elvish kingdom of Aryvandaar (preset-day High Forest) is established.

-20000 DR
Orishaar and the southern dark elf nation of Ilythiir begins skirmishes that continue on and off for next seven millennia.

Evidence from the carvings in some sea caves suggests that the merfolk, locathah, and sahuagin exist in Seros and have battled each other since that time.
-18800 DR

Establishment of the first elf settlements of Miyeritar (present-day High Moor and Misty Forest) by green and dark elves due to political differences with the gold elves of Aryvandaar.

c. -18000 DR

Logical estimates suggest that the Citadel of the Raven was constructed in this period. Some scholars purport that the citadel is irrefutable evidence that a grand human nation existed on Faerun long before recorded history. Sages have further theorized that the barbarians of The Ride are the descendants of that once-great civilization. The Citadel of the Raven is a series of interconnected fortresses carved high on the northern slopes of the Dragonspine Mountains north of Teshwave. For many years, human and half-orc bandits used the citadel as a refuge, but civilization wiped these marauders out as it advanced north.

-17800 DR

Establishment of the great elf settlements of Keltormir (present-day Forest of Tethyr) by moon elves and green elves, seeking peace and simple lives away from the strife of the other elf realms.

c. -17500 DR

The independent sylvan elf realms of Thearnytaar, Eiellur, and Syorpiir open discussions about unifying the elves of the Satyrwood.

-17100 DR to 16800 DR - War of Three Leaves

The unification of the Satyrwood is thwarted by dark elf Ilythiiri spies and assassins, killing their leaders and framing opposing heirs, driving the three realms to a multi-front war. Ilythiir's influence is not discovered for centuries.

Numerous elves abandon the surface realms of Eiellur and Syorpiir during the War of Three Leaves (which also included Thearnytaar) to settle in the Selmal Basin (near the Vilhon Reach) of the Sea of Fallen Stars. This migration continues for several millennia.

Thearnytaar, Eiellur, and Syorpiir remain separate realms after the War of Three Leaves ends, though each of the three continues skirmishing among themselves and with Ilythiir for centuries.

c. -16000 DR

The first dwarf settlements appear in the great mountain range known as the Yehimal, which lies at the juncture of the three great continents of Faerun, Kara-Tur, and Zakhara. From there, the earliest dwarves migrated into all three lands.

-15500 DR

The first great kingdom of the dwarves of Faerun is centered in the great cavern of Bhaerynden (present-day Great Rift), deep beneath the Shaar.

c. 14700 DR
Aryvandaar's rulers begin attempts to diplomatically and peacefully annex Miyeritar into their realm and under their control.

c. -14000 DR - The Second Epoch of Seros

The Second Epoch officially begins with the building of the undersea capital of Aryselmalyr, and ends with forty years of war between the sea elves and other undersea races. It is also during this Epoch that the first land dwellers began exploration of the waters (wizards of Netheril), the initial migration of shalarin into the Inner Sea, and the trapping of the sahuagin behind the Sharksbane Wall.
c. -14000 DR
Tribal barbarian clans of humans roam Keltormir, hiding and hunting in the great forests and avoiding the greater races of elves, giants, and dragons.

c. -13900 DR

Miyeritar becomes the center of elven Art and High Magic in Faerun.

c. -13200 DR

Skirmishing and trade interference starts between Aryvandaar and Miyeritar.

c. -12500 DR

An arakhor (an elder form of treant) is summoned beneath High Forest. Over the millennia, this creature becomes known as Grandfather Tree.
Back to the index
Last edited by Almarea90 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Ice Spirits: The Orglash
by Masika Ukasha

Introduction

The Orglash is a solitary insubstantial spirit creature which exists in below freezing temperatures primarily high in the mountains in Rashemaar. At higher temperatures, such as a desert, an Orglash is usually unable to take form. They range in size from tiny wisps of ice and snow to a human sized whirlwind and occasionally larger. The ancient Orglash's origins remain a mystery even to those who share the same environment.

Habits:

Orglash are known to be fiercely protective and territorial. What an Orglash may consider it's territory is impossible to discern. An Orglash will roam for many days covering hundreds of miles. Some observers have observed orglash aggressively attacking passerbys and yet others have observed an Orglash watching passerbys from a distance as the spirit's insubstancial black eyes faded in and out as it does. Most concerning is that it is not uncommon for an Orglash to attack a Rashemi wishing only to pay homage to it. Most believe Orglash to be wild and unpredictable and thus fear them.

Society:

The Rashemi have an uncommon kinship with these creatures. Despite the nature of Orglash, Rashemi witches routinely ritually summon Orglash as they are known as excellent protectors. Orglash are known for their dislike of Thayan magic and will assail Thayan wizards relentlessly while being heavily resistant to Thayan magic.

((a Symbol of Lunar disk with an ankh and Star side by side lies at the bottom of the page))

((This page intentionally left blank, page 3 is the end))
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Journal of Serena Doubleheritage
by Serena Doubleheritage

This book belonged to Serena Doubleheritage, spawn of Evil in skin of aasimar, Black Guard of Auril, now exiled by church of Frost Queen and wanted by law dead or alive for her countless crimes. This journal contains her most important memories written in simple sentences. It's easy to conclude that she is mad and dangerous murderer and impostor. It's unknown how many lives she took. I put this diary in Candlekeep shelves as warning for everyone. Evil can be everywhere!

I can't believe it! He really thinks I am paladin of Torm. I have to use this excuse more often or even I should to introduce myself as Serena a paladin of Torm? It's a great and funny method to disguise my true identity.
I saw today interesting axe in Baldur's Gate at Ambjorn shop. Very expensive and very powerful. I need to earn gold to buy this tool, it should help fulfill her will.

-"Mentioned axe is probably the Touch of Auril."

I finally arrived to Baldur's Gate. It's definitely too hot for me, but I must handle it. My task is too important to fail. Soon even this place will drown in snow and ice. Nobody will escape my wrath! (On this page you see many crossed sentences and only one understandable phrase.) RAIH PAMBT AONIH!

-"In celestial language it means Hail to Auril!"

Once I heard story about temple somewhere in Icewind Dale made from snow and ice. More than 40 years ago building was plundered by some adventurers. They not only rob whole place but also murdered priestesses. Now local people call them "heroes"! Bah!

- "Serena seems to be mad or naive. She forget to mention these priestesses collaborated with Legion of the Chimera leaded by two cambions. Adventurers which killed them probably saved many innocent lives."

Yesterday I met waukeenete Sorfiriel and few other adventurers. Of course I said that I'm a paladin. Still I can't believe in naivety of people. We walked together into old well outside the city to find some old relic but we had to run away. If there was fewer of them I would do IT! Unfortunately it was too risky to "convince" all of them.

-"Serena probably wanted to recruit some novices to Auril's church or slay them if they disagree."

It's time. Tomorrow I will board at any ship and leave this city behind. Where will fate take me to? Perhaps Ruathym isles or south to Sword Coast? Maybe even further. I must remember one thing -it isn't some sort of tour, but trial. My own trial!

(Half of this page is torn out)
I done horrible thing. I murdered two men 3 hours ago. One of them was young... too young. It's had to be done nonetheless. DAMN IT! IS MY MISSION ONLY THING I CARE ABOUT?! THIS CRIME CHANGES E TO A MONSTER! BLOODY F*****G MONSTER!!!

(Second part of this page is completely torn out.)
(On this page is drawing of beautiful snowy landscape, made by childish hand. You see another drawing, this time presents village and smiling people)
I almost died! I was trying to rob a weird old man in gnoll caverns. He punch me 3 times and after that I was bleeding on floor. Despite this he healed me. Fool! Strong fool! I bring shame to Her this day. I will never disregard anybody, even strange old men.

(This page is almost fully crossed out. Only one incomplete sentence keeps readable.)
I have been chosen to...
Another man is dead. Inhabitants suspect something. Time to leave this place before is too late.
I behave too suspicious. It's time to hide somewhere for few weeks or even months...
A second meeting with waukeenete and another group of adventurers, this time in gibberling caves. I almost lost this diary, but luckily retrieved it. Next time I have to be more careful.
I've encountered a familiar face, a half-orc named Garthwog Bradwin, a Saint Fist of Helm. Previously I met him in Kuldahar. Disgusting place! Of course I gave him an offer he can't refuse. But he did, so I've cut his head. Hopefully nobody will connect me and his death.
Today I met Lyuze, probably one of Her followers. I'm not alone anymore! She advised me to make contact with Reiliena Winterborn, usually staying in Friendly Arm Inn.
Another meeting with Sorf. She still looking for Waukeen relic. This time we worked with many courageless mercenaries. We explored ruins as 3 people only. Why I didn't seize this opportunity? I don't really know.
Today I escorted some strange alchemist from Candlekeep named Cold. She behaved very nervous and stuttering all the time. Somehow, she find out about my heritage. I need to get rid of her, before she starts suspecting something. I will make Cold a faithful servant of my Queen or she will die!
Nigel Blaquehawke, ranger from Cormyr, faithful of Mielikki, knows my true identity. I tried to eliminate him but he hide somewhere. Coward! I prepare a true vision spell, specially for him!
I encountered knight of "good", summoning djini in orc hideout. My queen tasted her blood though my axe striking a woman flesh! After my victory I left her barely living.

-"Serena let her live in hope she will spread threatening rumors. Or just had a good day."
(This page contains a few blood stains) I was attacked and hardly wounded by some boutny hunter. I will make him suffer! SUFFER!!!
During my hunt for wyverns I encountered a Helmite named Jegal, I pretended friendly. His time will come soon.

(Below you see little postscript)
He saved my life. Hopefully he will listen me and willingly join to worshipers of Auril.

Today I met a wizard Invis and demonologist Lev. They are potential temporary allies, but too dangerous for longer collaboration. Maybe it's possible to argue them and they will kill each other? I have to think about it...

(This page contains another drawing. It is a picture of great blizzard in little town and few corpses.)
People have to believe I'm paladin, so I organized raid for vampires to be more... reliable. I offered a lot of gold to wizard Morgan and barbarian Valdym. In meantime a knight and a rogue joined us in Cloakwood. Everyone of them will not be easy pray.

20 Nightal soon. Maybe it's time to take little rest and celebrate Simril? Just observe a falling snow, listen noise of incoming blizzard?

It will be no celebration to me. I've been banished from church of Auril for my incomprehension in doctrines, drunkness and for my crimes and joining the ranks of Black Guards. I don't know where to go or what supposed to do... I have to admit one thing. I fully deserve my fate.

Auril... I disappointed you.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Chronology of Doron Amar

* Image of a tree *

This chronology lists the major events in the history of the Doron Amar in a roughly chronological order. Major events are signified by their type: FOUNDING, FACTION, COUNCIL, ENEMY, TRAITOR, WAR, and EVENT.

FOUNDING entries relate to major events in Doron Amar's history that reflect on its foundation as a community. FACTION entries relate to Doron Amar's relations with other political groups and organizations. COUNCIL entries relate to the composure and behavior of Doron Amar's Council. ENEMY entries describe enemies of Doron Amar, while TRAITOR entries describe Doron Amar elves who have turned against their kin. Finally, WAR entries describe the major wars and battles that Doron Amar has participated in, and EVENT entries describe important events in the history of the community that do not fit under any of the other categories.

* Image of persons on horses walking through a snowy forest under starlight. *

- FOUNDING: Doron Amar is founded by a group of elves seeking to protect their kindred on the Sword Coast. Some of the founding elves included: Aloria ap Raver, Elrithmithrade Tirdraluine (now banished), Faerynn Ara'dhel (now banished), Elohir Ara'dhel, Phelan Shadowtop, Isenduil Eriadon, Toshiro, Galen'ael Glenstalker (now deceased), Alarice Lharythlin, Aleilsum Elrum and Sir Dallenthel Wyndsoul.

- FACTION: "The Crownsilver Affair." Elrithmithrade Tir'draluin joins the rebel outlaw and traitor, Beren Cross, in murdering Flaming Fist Commander Sir Justin Crownsilver. This creates a deep divide between the people of Baldur's Gate and the elves of Doron Amar (a divide that still is not fully healed).

- COUNCIL: The First Council is formed. The Councilors included Aloria ap Ravar, Alarice Lharythlin, Toshiro, Aleilsum Elrum, Faerynn Ara'dhel, Fircair, and Elohir Ara'dhel.

- COUNCIL: Elohir steps down from the Council, so that Elrithmithrade Tir'draluin may take his seat. This causes tension between Doron Amar's elves and Baldur's Gate (and the Flaming Fist in particular).

- FOUNDING: A small foothold is estabilished in the Wood of Sharp Teeth to act as the headquarters and refuge for the elves of Doron Amar.

- COUNCIL: Aloria steps down from the Council, and then later rejoins it.

- ENEMY: The drow vampire Bah'lahl -- known also as the Shadowsinger -- preys on the elves of Doron Amar, as well as others along the Sword Coast. One of Bah'lahl's lieutenants, Glaive Soulblight, raises an undead army to assist him. At one point, Aloria is killed by Glaive, and her body is taken captive. Glaive agrees to return Aloria to the elves if they assist him on turning on and destroying his master, Bah'lahl. With the aid of Candlekeep -- as well as Merielle Williams and Noric Patteel -- the elves of Doron Amar are able to destroy the Shadowsinger. Glaive escaped in the fighting, and Merielle Williams was able to revive Aloria.

- ENEMY: The Shadow Druids -- led by a druid styling himself "The Dark One," or Mauglir, and another druid calling himself Narcisuss -- attempt to destroy Doron Amar and try repeatedly to assassinate Aloria ap Ravar.

- COUNCIL: Aleilsum steps down from the Council, leaving for Evermeet.

- COUNCIL: Alarice steps down from the Council, leaving for Evermeet.

- TRAITOR: The half elf, Seadin Aleros, is implicated in leaking information to the Thieves' Guild in Baldur's Gate. He is believed to be "the right-hand man" of "Toy Box" -- who was at that time the leader of the Guild.

- COUNCIL: Toshiro steps down from the Council.

- FACTION: The Gatewarden of Candlekeep, Joan Degaulle, protects a drow from Night Hunters (a religious order of Shevarash dedicated to eradicating drow) and adventurers, drawing the ire of the Night Hunters (Wthyran Tal in particular) and Doron Amar. Candlekeep is believed to be harboring drow.

- TRAITOR: The elf, Rysdan Sith, is banished from Doron Amar, after fraternizing with drow and conspiring against the Council with the Shadow Druids and drow. His known allies include Roxanne Everquist and the elven assassin known as Rai.

- COUNCIL: Fircair steps down from the Council.

- WAR: Councilor Elrithmithrade Tir'draluin and the Mathora'Tel'Quess begin aggressively hunting orcs in the Wood of Sharp Teeth and beyond.

- COUNCIL: Shevril Arke'vel joins the Council.

- COUNCIL: Aloria forms a "secret council" to advise and assist the Council, composed of Anastyaanir Daen'Doliar (a priest of Aerdrie Faenya), Elvaene De'lindessa (a favored soul of Corellon), Wythran Tal (a Night Hunter of Shevarash), Selaana (a priestess of Corellon), Cathenya (of the Mathora'Tel'Quess), Fircair (a ranger of Mielikki), and Aurora Sabel'leigh (adjunct to Elrithmithrade). This "secret council" bickers loudly, but accomplishes little, and is soon disbanded.

- COUNCIL: Shevril Arke'vel leaves the Council.

- ENEMY: An elf named Erwin Merikel joins Doron Amar, and soon betrays them. She consorts with traitor Rysdan, and attempts to kill citizens of Doron Amar. She appears to be worshiping Shar. She changes her name to "Rewin Dawnblade." Councilor Elrithmithrade becomes involved with, and is corrupted by Erwin.

- COUNCIL: Elrithmithrade is corrupted by Erwin Merikel, and forced to flee Doron Amar. She is banished and removed from the Council.

- FACTION: Candlekeep captures Erwin Merikel on unrelated charges, and Guide Valerius has her executed and her corpse burned. Elrithmithrade leaves the Sword Coast shortly after.

- COUNCIL: Faerynn is implicated as "The Dark One," and evidence is brought forward to support this. Faerynn is forced to flee Doron Amar, and is made "kill on sight" if he is seen anywhere within the village. Rysdan Sith later confirms that he was working with Faerynn while Faerynn was on the Council during an interrogation.

- TRAITOR: The elven wizard, Deus Di'mastailuin, is accused of necromancy and banished from Doron Amar. He is later captured by the Flaming Fist and executed for summoning demons.

- FACTION: Galen'ael Glenstalker of the Keepers of the Elder Circle (now Enclave of the Green Triad) approaches Doron Amar hoping to improve relations after the "Shadow Druid" affair. Little comes of his efforts.

* Image of elvin soldiers fighting orcs *

- WAR: "The War of Sharp Teeth." The orcs begin organizing in response to the continued raids of the elves of Doron Amar. The Council of Doron Amar ignore the warnings of Wthyran Tal, Te'alis Avondovail (now Siveyn Silverarrow), and Siomir Danneren, with regards to the threat these "new orcs" represent. Elven war parties are soon overwhelmed and it becomes evident that these orcs are a superior foe. While the elves fight the orcs in a major engagement, a second orcish army razes Doron Amar to the ground.

- FOUNDING: Doron Amar's first village is razed by the orcish horde.

- WAR: "The War of Sharp Teeth." The war continues, and the fighting is brutal, but with Wthyran, Te'alis, and Siomir taking lead -- and now that the foe is no longer being underestimated -- the elven position is soon reversed. A guerilla operation soon has the orcs scattered and on the retreat. The orcs of the Wood of Sharp Teeth sue for peace, and both sides uneasily come to an agreement. So long as the orcs stay north of the river, the elves leave them alone; and so long as the elves stay south of the river, the orcs leave them alone.

- TRAITOR: The elf, Durnir, creates undead, summons demons, and uses an epic spell called "Vampiric Feast" during the War of Sharp Teeth. He is labeled a necromancer and expelled from the Doron Amar for his use of dark magic.

- FOUNDING: It's decided that Doron Amar will be rebuilt, and a new Council is formed.

- COUNCIL: A new Council is formed, composed of Wthyran Tal, Dajala Silverleaf, and Aloria ap Ravar.

- FOUNDING: The elves of Doron Amar make camp north of Gullykin, and begin plans for the new village. It's decided they will need a firm building site, an architect or planner, a labor source, access to easy food and water, wards and protective spells, agreements with neighbors, and a sum total of 1,000,000 gold to cover sundry expenses.

- COUNCIL: Aloria leaves the Council, and removes herself from the Sword Coast.

- COUNCIL: Siomir Danerren joins the Council.

- FACTION: The elves of Doron Amar approach the library-fortress of Candlekeep, seeking an architect or planner. After a meeting with Valerius, Guide of Candlekeep, they are granted the services of an elven planner and a human architect.

- FACTION: The elves of Doron Amar contract the Ironfaar dwarves to assist them in the construction of their settlement.

* Image of elvin maiden with a sword and hin male with a mace fighting a werewolf type monster *

- EVENT: "The Black Beast of Gullykin." While the elves are camping just north of Gullykin, a monster begins preying on the hin village and its citizens. Livestock began to disappear, as too did several citizens of the halfling community. In repayment for the kindness the hin had shown them, the elves of Doron Amar decided to assist the community with its problem. Working with the halflings, they discovered that the beast was, in fact, a barghest: a goblinoid lycanthrope capable of shapeshifting. Tracking the barghest proved dangerous and difficult, but after several battles with the beast, the elves finally tracked it down and killed it. This cemented the alliance between the elves of Doron Amar and the hin of Gullykin.

- EVENT: "The Dagger of Firewine Bridge" A magical item was uncovered near Gullykin, which led to a research project. The elves discovered that Gullykin was built near an elven ruin: Firewine Bridge. Firewine Bridge was once a elven trading town, but it was destroyed in a sorcerous battle. The magical battle left a huge wild magic area near Gullykin, where spellcasting is dangerous, and where magical items are occasionally uncovered through farming and by adventurers. It's decided that the elves will build their new village on both sides of the Firewine River, near Gullykin, in memory of the old elven ruin.

- FOUNDING: Doron Amar's first building, its inn, is erected and the community pulls together to name it. Although several names are proposed, the two leading suggestions were "Erevan's Jest" and "The Orc's Folly." "Erevan's Jest" wins by a single vote.

- FACTION: Councilor Dajala serves as an ambassador to the Weave Masters (later Istari Tower) in Baldur's Gate, while Aethor Siger of the Order of the Radiant Heart establishes formal relationships with the elves, after a long-time informal friendship between the two groups.

- COUNCIL: Wthyran Tal leaves the Council to hunt for drow.

- COUNCIL: Devabariel joins the Council.

- ENEMY: Relations sour between the elves of Doron Amar and the Zha'Graht tribe, a collection of half orcs and grey orcs. After the orcs fail to uphold an armistice, the two groups turn hostile to one another. The Zha'Graht tribe is scattered and their leader leaves the Sword Coast.

- FOUNDING: Doron Amar erects its plaza and square, central statue, chapel of the Seldarine, and Council building.

- FOUNDING: Rhys Feivra proposes the creation of an "Arcane Academy," taking inspiration from Myth Drannor's Seven Wizards School and the College of Silverymoon. The project is approved, and an arcane tower is constructed.

- COUNCIL: Dajala Silverleaf leaves the Council.

- COUNCIL: Auriel Elenviel joins the Council.

- WAR: "The Night of a Hundred Swords." The elves of Doron Amar lead an assault on the Temple of Bane within the Wood of Sharp Teeth, joined in their effort by the paladins of the Order of the Radiant Heart. The assault is bloody and brutal, but ultimately successful. News reaches the war party, led by Siomir, that Doron Amar is under attack. The party rushes back to find Councilor Auriel Elenviel leading a valiant defense of the village, warring against duergar, drow, and other foul creatures. The reinforcements end the assault on Doron Amar, and the enemies flee having lost their chance to take the village while it was largely undefended.

- COUNCIL: Siomir Danneren leaves the Council. He marries the elf Rith'alaria, and the two leave for the Moonshaes.

- COUNCIL: Devabariel leaves the Council.

- FOUNDING: Auriel Elenviel begins the Souress-Everae, and takes over the day-to-day administration of Doron Amar. Her first order of business after reorganizing the village is appointing new Councilors.

- COUNCIL: Rhys Feivra joins the Council.

- COUNCIL: Siveyn Silverarrow joins the Council.

- FOUNDING: Auriel Elenviel, with her husband Valerius, produces a chronology of Doron Amar, recording the major events in its history for the present and the future.

- COUNCIL: Vanira Talamora Joins council, replacing Siveyn Silverarrow.

* Image of dwarf warrior armed with two maces *

- FACTION: Ironfaar lose their hold in a battle with Duergar, Chieftain Khorgoth Ironfaar and their Captain Gullygan Ironfaar lose their lives in the battle. Doron Amar takes the refugees in and aid them with healing, food, and shelter. The refugees stay in Doron Amar for a time till moving on with the newly born Kraak Helzak alliance.

- FACTION: The Flaming Fist leader, duke Eltan, speaks with Rhys Feivra, they agree to allow a Flameing Fist outpost be built in the woods of Sharpteeths west side in anticipation of a war with Amn.

- WAR: Baldur's Gate enters into a war with Amn. Doron Amar and a group of volunteers defend Gullykin from the approaching Amn army. The citizens of Gullykin take refuge in Doron Amar. Amnians trick the defenders by using catapults from far away, Gullykin is left nearly undefended and taken by Amnians, the returning force assaults the village and both forces are annihilated, the remaining Amnians retreat after setting a part of Gullykin on fire. The deads are taken care of and some are brought back to life.

- COUNCIL: Sywyn Ma'fer replaces Vanira Talamora on the Council, becomeing the first Half-elven Councilor.

- COUNCIL: Auriel Elenviel travels to Evereska, stepping down from the council.

- COUNCIL: Silias Ry'ena Joins the Council.

- FACTION: Doron Amar helps Gullykin with shelter and food after the war. The rebuilding starts on Gullykin.

- WAR: The first hints of the Black Orcs return arrives in Doron Amar when animals and game are forced to flee northern Sharpteeh to the south by a Malar influence. The Black Orcs follow the game south. While on an expedition further north a member of the Mathora kills a Black Orc shaman. Councilor Silias is taken prisoner by the Black Orcs in front of Doron Amar, they demand to meet the remaining council. In return for Silias Doron Amar agrees to allow Black Orc hunters to hunt game south of the river unmolested. There is little faith that the forced alliance will last, Doron Amar readies for a long war.

- FACTION: As tensions grow between with the Black Orc threat on the horizon a vocal group of elves, led by Luthien become dissatisfied with Doron Amar's leadership. Saline Le'dwent kills an elf visiting Doron Amar looking for her. It is later revealed that this elf's family tortured Saline, she is punished with community service. Laisren, dissatisfied with the Council's judgment on Saline, is approached along with Luthien and asked if they wished to leave the community, they tells them yes they do. Asking Laisren to leave if he no longer wishes to stay he and a four other elves leave to make a home in the north. Laisren's group becomes known as the En Dharasha Evaerae, they promise to return in aid of the Black Orc War.

- FACTION: The Dukes agree to help Doron Amar in the war if they can convince General Scar.

- WAR: - The meeting with General Scar in the Flamin Fist outpost in Sharp Teeth turns disastrous as the fortress is revealed to be taken over by Zhents. Councilor Silias escapes the trap by jumping off of the outpost's main tower and is severely hurt. General Scar is rescued in the caverns nearby the Friendly Arm Inn, an attempt is made to free his men but the Orcs prove too fierce for only a couple of men are freed. Scar and his men travel to Doron Amar, pursued by the Orcs. In an attempt to destroy the war machines brought by the Orcs Malandriel, leader of the Everesakan rangers die in battle.

* Image of elf maiden crying over a fallen male comrade *

- WAR/COUNCIL: - Sywyn Ma'fer dies while returning General Scar to Flameing Fist forces. Tyressen Arfaeniel and Rhys Feivra suffer injuries in the same battle, but are determined to win the war after watching their friend, Sywyn die.

- COUNCIL: Tyressen Arfaeniel takes over his friend Sywyns spot on the council.

* Image of elf warriors fighting orcs *

- WAR: - The Orcs set camp across the river and begin to destroy Doron Amar's approach with their war machines, setting a sizeable part of the wood on fire. Numerous skirmishes and attacks occur, the Orcs do not manage to break into Doron Amar and the path to Gullykin is not blocked thanks to the settlement's allies, particularly En Dharasha Everae, the Order of the Silver Rose and the Order of the Radiant Heart, numerous adventurers help thwart an attack on Gullykin itself by the Orcs.

- WAR: - The Orcs finish a bridge that would allow them to transport their war machines on the other side of the river and bombard Doron Amar directly. Following a plan set by the late Sywyn and Malandriel Doron Amar is seemingly abandoned and a vast ambush is set up in conjunction with the forces of the Flaming Fist that recently arrived and the allied forces staying in Gullykin. Numerous Orcs attack, the trap is sprung and they are pushed back to their side of the river once again where they destroy their own bridge. At the same time news arrive to General Scar stating that most of the Orc horde moved north days ago and is attacking Baldur's Gate farmlands, most of the adventurers and Doron Amar defenders move there to face the Orcs, battles occur at the Friendly Arm Inn and at the Farmlands in front of Baldur's Gate, the fortress takes some damage but repelled the messy assault. Numerous farms are burnt and many people die at the hands of the Black Orcs since most of the Flaming Fist was near Gullykin. Ultimately the scattered horde is repelled everywhere with heavy casualties on both sides.

- ENEMY: The Zhents attack Doron Amar while the elves are busy with the war. Most of the remaining defenders are killed and parts of the village are set on fire, Celduil, Silias, Laitae and Nicholas Fleming retreat to the Arcane Tower which resists thanks to Rhys Feivra's wards who sacrifices 200 years of his lifespan to power them, till aid arrives. The Dreadlord leading the attack is slain on the stairs of the tower with all his men in a formidable slaughter.

- COUNCIL: A tired Rhys Feivra steps down as councilor hoping to give room to a future great leader.

- COUNCIL: Following the war a offer of single leadership is debated, accepted, and then denied.

- COUNCIL: Silias steps down as councilor, going back to Evermeet.

- COUNCIL: Tyressen creates the first voting system for Councilor. Sayiel is voted in as Heart of Doron Amar, Selengil is voted for as Head, while Tyressen was voted for as leader of the Mathora and took over the Hand position.

- COUNCIL: Selengil is removed from Councilor after a number of complaints.

- FOUNDING: Rhys Feivra creates this portion of the chronology.
Back to the index

Return to “Sword Coast Roleplay”