Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

User avatar
Ariella
Retired Staff
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Australia

Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Unread post by Ariella »

Hello everyone! We are going to host a little building contest to update Mag's bar in Soubar. What is a building contest you might ask? Well it's simple! below there is a link to the current Mag's Bar and the Builders Modules, players and staff are encouraged to take the area and either remake it from scratch or update the current version. After three months we will judge the submitted redesigns for Mags and declare a winner!, the winners map will go into the module and they will be rewarded with their choice of 45k XP or 45K gold and bragging rights.

Sounds fun right?, If you have questions or concerns please post them here or PM me directly on the forums or discord. I will also be available to give advice, tips and guidance as I am available. Clearly a great time to pick up the toolset!

Builders Module can be found here

Mag's can be found here

Deadline: 1st May 2021
User avatar
Planehopper
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Unread post by Planehopper »

First of all, this is a freakin amazing idea. I am pretty excited to see what folks come up with.

I do have a few questions though.

1) What sort of mechanical things need to remain in the new version?
A) I see an appearance changer fella on there (I think the transition to him is in the market area of Soubar). Do we need to leave a space for him?
B) Do we need to ditch the transitions to the black abbey now?
C) What about the spawns in the basement?
D) Any limits on scripts or anything?

2) Is there RP to read about for this? And I don't ask that to be taxing of your patience. My question is only whether there is some background info to read up on to determine if there are IC things I should know about before I try my hand. Has she ordered stone or wood from somewhere, should that basement be filled in completely, that sort of thing. I don't want to add a second floor of wood construction and then realize that there is RP saying she wants it on one floor and has lined up stone from the Blackrose's or the dwarves or something.

3) Depending on what is out there to read, do you have a size in mind or anything, or do you want it to sit on the same footprint size-wise of the current building? Like is this going to be a new building, or just a general remodel/clean up of the existing building?

Thanks again! This is a fresh idea, and one that I hope lots of people take part in.
User avatar
Ariella
Retired Staff
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Australia

Re: Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Unread post by Ariella »

1) Mags must remain and the area must be usable
A) Nope you can kick him out in the cold if you want
B) Yes black abbey transitions can go
C) Up to you
D) None, except the obvious "no exploits"

2) There is none currently. The DM's might decide to make some as progress happens but as for now no concerns. I would however recommend researching the area lore wise. As lore accurate always good for a few extra points.

3) This is completely up to you guys. I will adjust the exterior as needed for the winner's map.
Leramak
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 12:56 am

Re: Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Unread post by Leramak »

There is some Rp with Blackrose and Mag overseen by DM Boo a shipment of wood was delivered to mag to fix up her bar and the hole in the roof. Wood was also deliver to build Soubar Gates as well.
Amos Thistle


Morgan Nightgale - Retired Vampire Matron of House Nightgale
User avatar
Ariella
Retired Staff
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Australia

Re: Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Unread post by Ariella »

Leramak wrote: ↑Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:22 pm There is some Rp with Blackrose and Mag overseen by DM Boo a shipment of wood was delivered to mag to fix up her bar and the hole in the roof. Wood was also deliver to build Soubar Gates as well.
Well got some RP started already. Some Q&A from PMs.

Q: What will happen to area's that don't win?

A: Assuming they still meet the same quality they might become another inn on the server, or a DM map.


Q: Can i use it as an audition piece to join the builder team?

A: Of course!


Q: How do I open the map?

A: Just unzip the map files directly into your BG Builder directory and open as a directory.
User avatar
Ariella
Retired Staff
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Australia

Re: Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Unread post by Ariella »

Some of the references are missing. If the appearance is blank you can typically find it by searching out the blueprints tag in that area. I will release a new Builder once the split goes live that will hopefully have most of these fixed, but a couple might remain.
User avatar
Ariella
Retired Staff
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Australia

Re: Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Unread post by Ariella »

Two months left!. It's not to late to pick up the toolset and give this a go!.
User avatar
Ariella
Retired Staff
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Australia

Re: Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Unread post by Ariella »

We are moving closer to the deadline! I look forward to seeing people's submissions.
Tanlaus
Quality Control
Posts: 1250
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Re: Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Who like deadlines?! :D
User avatar
Habitu
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Re: Building Contest - Mags Bar!

Unread post by Habitu »

Is it over? I just found out! Shoot.

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”